16' Series Still no aerial signal

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well weve ticked off everything I reckon bar the aerial itself, if I recall the snow flakes have a splitter which you said you had swapped out, so that a lead goes to the vertical and horizontal sections so if theres 12v at the terminals of the splitter then its narrowed the fault down to the aerial itself................

Looked at my transmitter info and at Rouse Hill the tower is about 30km away, in a ESE direction moderate coverage BUT an elevation profile shows a hill in between so unless your location is higher, then a van reception may not be much chop, unless you have had reception in this position before of course, I'm just using Rouse Hill centre as a pin point , if you haven't had signal from there before then don't go for a new set up...... I use the MSwitch site on a laptop to locate transmitters, shows all information for the location including an elevation profile.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Hi,
it seems unusual that you would have two faults at the same time: wall socket / power supply as well as the aerial / amplifier.
Yes, the aerial could have gone faulty and taken out the power supply. But in these cases I have learnt to be very cautious.

If it was my $500. I would take the antenna off, take the wall socket off and test it all out on a table somewhere:
Aerial, short cable (tested) to wall socket, 12V on wall socket, short cable (tested) to a tv that has been pre-tuned on a working aerial and check it all out.

The workshops definitely have the advantage in being able to swap out a possibly dodgey aerial with a working aerial to track down the fault.

take care
Mike
I wish I had a workshop to do all those things you suggested. I simply don’t that’s why I’m going through the process of elimination, wall socket replaced, all coax cables tested ok with multimeter and 12v running through them. TV’s hooked up
inside house and tune ok. That only leaves the actual aerial. I think?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I wish I had a workshop to do all those things you suggested. I simply don’t that’s why I’m going through the process of elimination, wall socket replaced, all coax cables tested ok with multimeter and 12v running through them. TV’s hooked up
inside house and tune ok. That only leaves the actual aerial. I think?
In this case, a workshop is probably the worst place to do this testing. Steel buildings will shield the TV signal from the antenna. Best to do this outside on a table where you get the best TV signal.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
In this case, a workshop is probably the worst place to do this testing. Steel buildings will shield the TV signal from the antenna. Best to do this outside on a table where you get the best TV signal.
I ended up buying a new aerial, just hope that's the issue.... see how it goes

Reactions: mfexpanda