16' Series Still no aerial signal

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Guys, I give up!!! Does anyone know who I can call to have a look at my tv signal issue in the Hills District of Sydney!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Have you checked the continuity of the cable going up to the aerial.
1: Disconnect both ends, get a multimeter, and measure the resistance. It should be open circuit.
2: Short circuit one end and measure the resistance at the other end.
Is it possible you have screwed something into the wall, ceiling, or roof that would have damaged the cable?
If you are in a good signal area, plug the antenna cable directly into the TV. Then get about a meter or so of wire (better if you can get hold of a domestic antenna) and connect it to the centre conductor on the roof. You should get enough signal for the tv to find something.

Have you tried tuning the tv using the TV antenna in your house?

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Have you checked the continuity of the cable going up to the aerial.
1: Disconnect both ends, get a multimeter, and measure the resistance. It should be open circuit.
2: Short circuit one end and measure the resistance at the other end.
Is it possible you have screwed something into the wall, ceiling, or roof that would have damaged the cable?
If you are in a good signal area, plug the antenna cable directly into the TV. Then get about a meter or so of wire (better if you can get hold of a domestic antenna) and connect it to the centre conductor on the roof. You should get enough signal for the tv to find something.

Have you tried tuning the tv using the TV antenna in your house?
Can you explain steps 1 and 2 with more detail. I have a multimeter too.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can you explain steps 1 and 2 with more detail. I have a multimeter too.

In the other thread your have you said you swapped out the lead from the aerial to booster and booster to TV, no change so isn't a break in the original cables , TV checked out on house system so I would switch the booster on and set the multi meter to 12vDC probe the wall plate output to aerial socket and see if there is any reading, black probe to outer casing of socket or lead, red on the inner, it should show 12v if not the booster is cactus, if it does show 12v then replace the aerial lead to the booster and check the aerial end of the cable, if it shows power then the cable is good and its looking like the aerial circuit board is cactus, usually means new aerial needed.................
2 of the 3 sockets on the wall plate are input and one of them boosted the other is dumb while the 3rd socket is an outlet usually to the plug on the LH side of van.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikerezny

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
In the other thread your have you said you swapped out the lead from the aerial to booster and booster to TV, no change so isn't a break in the original cables , TV checked out on house system so I would switch the booster on and set the multi meter to 12vDC probe the wall plate output to aerial socket and see if there is any reading, black probe to outer casing of socket or lead, red on the inner, it should show 12v if not the booster is cactus, if it does show 12v then replace the aerial lead to the booster and check the aerial end of the cable, if it shows power then the cable is good and its looking like the aerial circuit board is cactus, usually means new aerial needed.................
2 of the 3 sockets on the wall plate are input and one of them boosted the other is dumb while the 3rd socket is an outlet usually to the plug on the LH side of van.
Again thanks and will do that

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Again thanks and will do that
Drover,
I just Measured the voltage of aerial coax input inside the cupboard at the back of the booster where the outside aerial screws into and no 12v, I also measured aerial from the booster to where it plugs into the television, no voltage at all. I also unscrewed the other aerial input just in case and that had no 12v either. I measured the booster from the unit where the aerial plugs into and that had no 12v either, the green light was on the entire time, I suspect that the booster is faulty but it does have voltage i.e. Green Light on

Last edited:

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Trevor,
I just Measured the voltage of aerial coax input inside the cupboard at the back of the booster where the outside aerial screws into it and no 12 V I also measured aerial from the booster to where it plugs into the television, no voltage at all. I also unscrewed the other aerial input just in case and that had no 12 V either. I measured the booster from the unit where the aerial plugs into and that had no 12 V either in the green light was on the entire time I suspect that the booster is faulty but it does have voltage i.e. Green Light on
Is there anything else I should measure or Can we conclude that the booster appears to be faulty

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So long as you know your meter is functioning the socket on the wall unit that the roof aerial connects to should show 12v when the little button is on if it doesn't then the unit is probably cactus, thats going by the Winegard info, the wall unit is really only suppling 12v to the aerial for the booster to operate, the signal booster circuit is in the aerial itself , if you cannot get any voltage from the socket on the wall unit then thats the fault .... see if you can test at the socket terminals at the back, no 12v from the socket then the booster in the aerial won't power up................................. I would make sure the multi meter is working and you have it on the correct setting for DC and not on auto )if it has it) .....

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
So long as you know your meter is functioning the socket on the wall unit that the roof aerial connects to should show 12v when the little button is on if it doesn't then the unit is probably cactus, thats going by the Winegard info, the wall unit is really only suppling 12v to the aerial for the booster to operate, the signal booster circuit is in the aerial itself , if you cannot get any voltage from the socket on the wall unit then thats the fault .... see if you can test at the socket terminals at the back, no 12v from the socket then the booster in the aerial won't power up................................. I would make sure the multi meter is working and you have it on the correct setting for DC and not on auto )if it has it) .....
Yes meter is new and no voltage going to aerial

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
I just bought a new wall socket. See how we go!

Reactions: Drover

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Ok I will use this thread. I replaced the winegard booster and checked that the aerial cable connected the the roof aerial has 12v and yes it did. Check all other coax cables all ok. Tried to auto tune tv and again no signal or channels found.
what do you think Drover aerial is cactu?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ok I will use this thread. I replaced the winegard booster and checked that the aerial cable connected the the roof aerial has 12v and yes it did. Check all other coax cables all ok. Tried to auto tune tv and again no signal or channels found.

It certainly looking that way, I know of no way to check if the booster in the aerial is working other than by plugging a TV in but the consensus is if there's 12v on the end of the cable then its the aerial booster circuit thats cactus, if it was mine I would be talking nicely to a mate and borrow his aerial and plugging it in to see if the TV tunes in before throwing $$$ on a maybe .............. if the wall plate was dead and it looks like the aerial is dead as well that could be a dead short or something in the aerial board so I would leave it disconnected to be safe, a lecky wiz on here might confirm that..

The TV does tune in if you plug it into the house system ???

I have an old aerial on my shed for the shed TV which I can run a lead to van and plug in to the input socket outside, can then tune TV with wall socket turned off to check on things ..... would also dismantle the aerial to see if its just corroded away inside.....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@ianm67 , just a "way out of left field thought", make sure your input selector switch is set to TV, not AV1,or AV2 or HDMI. The unit could be looking for a type of INPUT signal , not a TV signal from the antenna. Had this happen to a friend who had been watching a DVD via HDMI input and forgot to change back to ANT input later. Like I said '" way out of left field idea", but you are running out of options. @Drover and @mikerezny's idea is worth considering by connecting any sort of antenna DIRECT to TV input socket with KNOWN good coax cable, thereby bypassing all the connections and 12 volt amp lines. If you don't get any sort of signal, it will be your tv receiver. Good luck!!
PS. Make sure you are trying to tune in DIGITAL tv channels and not the old ANALOG type. Sorry if being so simple minded!!

Last edited:

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
@ianm67 , just a "way out of left field thought", make sure your input selector switch is set to TV, not AV1,or AV2 or HDMI. The unit could be looking for a type of INPUT signal , not a TV signal from the antenna. Had this happen to a friend who had been watching a DVD via HDMI input and forgot to change back to ANT input later. Like I said '" way out of left field idea", but you are running out of options. @Drover and @mikerezny's idea is worth considering by connecting any sort of antenna DIRECT to TV input socket with KNOWN good coax cable, thereby bypassing all the connections and 12 volt amp lines. If you don't get any sort of signal, it will be your tv receiver. Good luck!!
PS. Make sure you are trying to tune in DIGITAL tv channels and not the old ANALOG type. Sorry if being so simple minded!!
Thanks for your reply. I will double check, but I’m sure I selected the correct settings.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
It certainly looking that way, I know of no way to check if the booster in the aerial is working other than by plugging a TV in but the consensus is if there's 12v on the end of the cable then its the aerial booster circuit thats cactus, if it was mine I would be talking nicely to a mate and borrow his aerial and plugging it in to see if the TV tunes in before throwing $$$ on a maybe .............. if the wall plate was dead and it looks like the aerial is dead as well that could be a dead short or something in the aerial board so I would leave it disconnected to be safe, a lecky wiz on here might confirm that..

I have an old aerial on my shed for the shed TV which I can run a lead to van and plug in to the input socket outside, can then tune TV with wall socket turned off to check on things ..... would also dismantle the aerial to see if its just corroded away inside.....
I replaced the splitter on the aerial post the other day too. I will try and tune tv‘s (2) at home and check that they are ok and if so.
i have no choice but to buy a new aerial (3-500 bucks) ouch!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
it seems unusual that you would have two faults at the same time: wall socket / power supply as well as the aerial / amplifier.
Yes, the aerial could have gone faulty and taken out the power supply. But in these cases I have learnt to be very cautious.

If it was my $500. I would take the antenna off, take the wall socket off and test it all out on a table somewhere:
Aerial, short cable (tested) to wall socket, 12V on wall socket, short cable (tested) to a tv that has been pre-tuned on a working aerial and check it all out.

The workshops definitely have the advantage in being able to swap out a possibly dodgey aerial with a working aerial to track down the fault.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Boots in Action

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill

I just took the TV’s inside and hooked up to aerial socket and both received a digital signal. Took back to the van and once again NO SIGNAL. It look like the aerial more we and more.

• Sad
Reactions: Boots in Action