20' Series Shower Door Won't Stay Closed

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I did see a post about this somewhere once before, but I can't find it now..

The shower door on our new 20.63 won't stay closed - it's not on level ground at the moment (in the driveway), but I'm worried that it may happen while we are away in it as well..

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? If so please let me know, and if you could post some pics as well that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance :)

Sandra

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Our door doesn't stay shut by itself sometimes. It depends on the ground it's on and how well the drop jacks are in. Think it's to do with the hinge being "over closed" I just use latch, sorry not really a solution for you.

Reactions: Flossymk1

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I think that was my thread. Ours is okay as long as you are level. I've also wedged a face washer in it to keep it shut. I reckon a rubbrr window wedge would work too

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
What about one of those kiddie locks. Hard to describe but I've seen them either bunnings or big w or kmart. Stick one to door and one to wall then clasp together. You find them in the baby /kid safe section

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mines the same, depends on the level and what jack has more than the other, BUT if yours is the cubicle type and it has a metal bracket in the corner then I've been thinking this brackets angle is wrong, been going to take it down and remod it to see as my door will be at an angle to the rest of the frame, been using a handtowel in the bottom channel to stop it flapping around when needed. Will update when I do the mod.
Did notice on new rigs at Coffs the other week the doors had a simple drop catch fitted to hold door shut, very tacky I thought.

I'll note it down and get onto it later in week and take some pics if all goes well, one of those jobs I forget about until I get on the road. Then say bugga...............

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Happened to us on the weekend. Always take a little box of goodies away, anyway I used a bit of Velcro, screwed to the door and the frame (screws there already) and it did the job.

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
When you level the van, you need to make sure the left side of the van is slightly higher than the right. Ours is the same. I usually use a bubble level to check before I unhook. It only needs to be slightly higher on the left. You won't even notice when your in the van.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I was thinking about trying something like this -

Roll Tape.png

I have no idea if it will work, but thought it might be worth a try?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was thinking about trying something like this -

View attachment 27937

I have no idea if it will work, but thought it might be worth a try?
I think that self adhesive magnetic tape would work fine, but you have to put it both on the door and frame. The shower is aluminium.

I alway have the road side of the van slightly higher so my head is always higher than my feet, and the front slightly lower for the water to run off. My standard setup may transfer well to the new van

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I think that self adhesive magnetic tape would work fine, but you have to put it both on the door and frame. The shower is aluminium.

I alway have the road side of the van slightly higher so my head is always higher than my feet, and the front slightly lower for the water to run off. My standard setup may transfer well to the new van

Yeah I was going to attach it to both sides so fingers crossed it works!

We do our best with leveling the van but we don't always get it spot on, so I want to eliminate having to stress about the shower door closing every time we go away.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yeah I was going to attach it to both sides so fingers crossed it works!

We do our best with leveling the van but we don't always get it spot on, so I want to eliminate having to stress about the shower door closing every time we go away.
Exactly level is very over rated. You'll rarely get it 100% anyway. A little out makes precious little difference, and removes one aspect of setup stress. If you aim for road side up a little every time, the amount is irrelevant (within reason) ... theres no more stress and the shower will be fine.

Ill may take all that back when my van gets delivered next week .....

Reactions: Smirke

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Does not your shower door have a flip over latch which is usable inside the shower and usable from the outside of the shower. Our 17 does......got a pick somewhere to show you, now let me find it.

Re level, we level our van firstly with t bubble on a frame, then we place the round bubble level on the fridge door. If the door swings shut, just, then we know van is level and the water will drain fine out from the shower base also. My 2$ worth. Pace.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Does not your shower door have a flip over latch which is usable inside the shower and usable from the outside of the shower. Our 17 does......got a pick somewhere to show you, now let me find it.

Re level, we level our van firstly with t bubble on a frame, then we place the round bubble level on the fridge door. If the door swings shut, just, then we know van is level and the water will drain fine out from the shower base also. My 2$ worth. Pace.
The shower door is a three piece slider .....
cms_images_108_25-02-2014_6336.jpg

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Success! Magnets worked a treat - the magnetic roll tape wasn't strong enough though, so I ended up using 2 little magnetic "bricks" instead -
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

They look huge in this pic, but they are only about 1cm long - it would look better if they were white of course, but they will do for now and if I find something better down the track I can change them out then :)

Very happy with the result! :cheer2:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And I happen to have the magnet strips which were in my old fridge door seal, I think they might work a treat on mine with a bit of doublesided tape and maybe a quick spray job............................

Reactions: Flossymk1