Shane and Alesha's new 22.68.1

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
good evening all. Been lurking around for a few weeks now and thought it was about time to post a few picks and mods of our new baby.

It's a 2014 build, 2015 delivered Starcraft 22.68.1, with triple bunks, washing machine full size 2 door fridge freezer and a few other goodies.

Picked it up a couple of weeks ago now.

The long awaited day
image.jpg

And the trip home, road side loo stop for the kids (how goods the onboard ensuite)?
image.jpg

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Got it home on the Friday morning to pack it (and admire how good it looks)

image.jpg

Then straight back in the car Saturday morning down to augusta for its maiden trip, albeit only a one nighter, damn work getting in the way

image.jpg

And if I can ever get my iPad to cooperate with this site I'll carry on the build/progress, God its bugy when trying to upload pics.

Shane

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
First mod was to move the battery from the shocking spot it was in, under the bed.

image.jpg

To the otherwise useless space under the dinette, closer to the charger and solar wiring (shortened the cable run by about 5m each) and keeps the weight right over the axels, plus perfect room for battery number 2.
image.jpg

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Congratulations on the new purchase and welcome to the forum....! Nice looking van and it is a big boy too. Did the Patrol do a good job in pulling it? Have you got a Diesel Chip installed? Cheers TRAKADU

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Thanks guys.

The patrol tows it brilliantly, not issue with power at all, it's an 07 common rail but I have done chip exhaust and an upgraded inter cooler. Sits very nicely on 100km/h with the egts sitting in an except able range.

Shane

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
So the next mod was yo spring the big girl over, because its so long I am worried about dragging it's bum, gained about 80mm of clearance with no difference to the way it tows.
But then the legs were a bit short in some places (including the driveway) so added a piece of 30x30 shs and lynch pins to the legs.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I have since cleaned and painted them.

Shane

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Quality mod Shane and has given me the idea to do the same to our, thanks.

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
image.jpg
So I've now started on the fun stuff, I've started setting the van up for media, we watch very little if any televised tv but download and stream most of our viewing.

In the house I run a pair of nas drive for storage of all media and backup of the all important photos, so I'm moving one nas to the caravan that will be wired to the house when at home.

This goes into the cupboard above the Rv bracket and will be linked to a wd tv live media player and a wireless router so the kids can watch the occasional movie at night or while on the road.

I've also added hdmi output, plus cig and usb outlets next to the 240v outlet outside
image.jpg

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Really stupid question here, but what is a 'nas'??? Also, what router do you use, as we are thinking of doing the same thing and aren't sure what to use.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Really stupid question here, but what is a 'nas'??? Also, what router do you use, as we are thinking of doing the same thing and aren't sure what to use.

NAS = Network Attached Storage, basically a hard drive on the network that can be accessed by all of the computers/devices to save or load files.

Many of them also connect to the internet to allow you to access your stored files remotley.

Reactions: Smirke

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
View attachment 30022 So I've now started on the fun stuff, I've started setting the van up for media, we watch very little if any televised tv but download and stream most of our viewing.

In the house I run a pair of nas drive for storage of all media and backup of the all important photos, so I'm moving one nas to the caravan that will be wired to the house when at home.

This goes into the cupboard above the Rv bracket and will be linked to a wd tv live media player and a wireless router so the kids can watch the occasional movie at night or while on the road.

I've also added hdmi output, plus cig and usb outlets next to the 240v outlet outside
View attachment 30023

Shane do those USB post just provide a charging point or do you have them going back to an onboard PC ??

Love the HDMI port, are you using any form of HDMI switcher or does it come straight of the media server ?

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Shane do those USB post just provide a charging point or do you have them going back to an onboard PC ??

Love the HDMI port, are you using any form of HDMI switcher or does it come straight of the media server ?

The sub is just a simple barbs sub charger mate and yeh I've got a hdmi splitter going to the inside and outside hdmi points, only have the one telly though so it goes either in or out. Later when the kids are older I may look at a second media player and telly down there end. We always encourage the kids to get out and play but it's nice sometimes if the weather goes to crap to just chill with a move.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
On my last days off I also made a start on a stone guard for the front. With the gas bottles mounted behind there little cover I decided to make the guard fold forward so the when in position it would be as far from the car as possible. I have a twin wheel carrier in the patrol so still want to be able to open the doors/wheels and have some manoeuvrability without it touching the car.
image.jpg

Reactions: FiveInAVan

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
First mod was to move the battery from the shocking spot it was in, under the bed.

View attachment 30009

To the otherwise useless space under the dinette, closer to the charger and solar wiring (shortened the cable run by about 5m each) and keeps the weight right over the axels, plus perfect room for battery number 2.
View attachment 30010
I asked for our Journey to have the battery moved from under the bed to under the dinette which appears to be similar to yours. I was told NO as it would affect the tow ball weight which is a load of BS. But I have read since in the manual for the Setec that it should not be installed in the same space as a battery due to the chance of sparks and fumes. But again, with an AGM battery, there is no fumes so I would still like to shift it as you have done.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Welcome aboard Shane and Alesha Congrates on the new van.

I asked for our Journey to have the battery moved from under the bed to under the dinette which appears to be similar to yours. I was told NO as it would affect the tow ball weight which is a load of BS. But I have read since in the manual for the Setec that it should not be installed in the same space as a battery due to the chance of sparks and fumes. But again, with an AGM battery, there is no fumes so I would still like to shift it as you have done.

Battery in my Panda was right next to the Setec, however the Setec was fully enclosed in a wooden casing.

Reactions: chartrock

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Welcome aboard Shane and Alesha Congrates on the new van.

Battery in my Panda was right next to the Setec, however the Setec was fully enclosed in a wooden casing.

The setec is under the fridge in ours so I can't see it being an issue and like you say theyr agm batteries anyway

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

Wasn't aware of that, I'm looking at adding a 2nd battery under the dinette right behind the Setec.

Will make sure it's AGM

Reactions: chartrock

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
If the setec thing is the things with the the fuses in, then it and our battery are on and in the club lounge nearest the fridge. @Bellbirdweb , I'm sure you'll understand where I'm talking about seeing as though we have the same model van. Jayco put them there after they moved the hws and pump into the front boot