Set up speed

Caroline Chapman

Aug 31, 2013
Hi everyone.
We have a Jayco Dove and are thinking about an expanda. Are they quick to set up? I am sure there are other advantages as well as set up speed. Cooler in hot weather? Comments appreciated.
Caroline

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome :welcome: to the forum, Caroline. If you have a browse through the member introductions you will find many members who have traded up from campers of one type or another and most of them wish they done so sooner. Set up time is greatly reduced, comfort is increased and, depending on the size Expanda you choose, an increase in space.

Good luck with your choice.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Hi and welcome, set p speed for us is 10 minutes from onsite to drinking a beer. Pack up is also quicker, along with the ability to use the van during travel, like lunch stops.

Reactions: blacky

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Caroline
I swapped from a Dove to Expanda last year and they a faster and easier in every way pack/set up. We have the smaller 14.44.4 which only opens at the front so cross ventilation in summer is not as good as the camper but then we also have A/C to use on powered sites. Much warmer in winter, no more sore back from working on the low camper benches, much better storage with o/head cupboards etc. Sure they are bigger to store at home, heavier to tow but still better in every way. You won't regret the move up.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
An expanda will always be quicker than a Dove to set up. I find its all the other stuff that takes time. I will be honest, for me to set the van up, annexe, shade screens, etc etc is longer than 10 minutes. (next time I go away I am going with crackacoldie and he can set my van up) but an expanda is a great progression from a camper. When I am at a park and I watch people put up swans etc I always think I'm glad I haven't got one of those. Mind you I think in the rain my wife and I would have ours Expanda up in 2 minutes.. Just do it, a good excuse to join the forum, although you can with a Dove but you will be better with an Expanda.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Caroline Welcome to the forum. We have gone from Swan to Expanda and the set up/ pack up time is just so valuable. With the 17.56-2 flexability of arriving after dark and set up in 20 mins (still hitched on though, then levelled in the morning if staying). As for the pack up, given most parks have check out by 1030 or 11am, you can sleep till normal time and be out and on the road again to next destination or home get a couple hours driving under your belt and have the freedom to go in the van for lunch before you set off again. Pace.

Reactions: Xpandafan

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Hi Caroline
I swapped from a Dove to Expanda last year and they a faster and easier in every way pack/set up. We have the smaller 14.44.4 which only opens at the front so cross ventilation in summer is not as good as the camper but then we also have A/C to use on powered sites. Much warmer in winter, no more sore back from working on the low camper benches, much better storage with o/head cupboards etc. Sure they are bigger to store at home, heavier to tow but still better in every way. You won't regret the move up.
I'm exactly the same as jdove, there are some things we miss about our Dove mostly the light weight & size but also the amount of natural light & ventilation, but in saying that you won't regret the upgrade :biggrin-26:

Thirstyviv

Jan 8, 2012
Sydney
Just do it Caroline, that's what I reckon.
Like the other 2 guys I too upgraded to an Expander 16.49-3B from a Dove OB and the setup time etc and pretty much everything is easier to do.
I sold the van to an elderly couple a 4 months ago and still do miss the girl however due to heading overseas, and work commitments over the next 2 years I couldn't justify having it parked up for that length of time so sold it but will be looking at eating another one in the next year maybe a bigger one (17:56-2) or a Work n Play

Anyway get on it and get one you won't regret it

Regards

Rob

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Basic set up is about 10 minutes for us, then I spend the next 30 minutes levelling, doing the hoses and waste, annex etc etc. But the best thing for us is that on arrival my wife and kids can get into then van straight away and start to make beds, get food, go to the toilet etc.
Pack up is equally easy. I wouldnt say it is super fast, but it is stress free. You just take it easy packing in any order because the van is still usable right up until you drive away, and as @Pace says, you can easily stop on the side of the road and make lunch in the van. We often find a nice spot in a beachside car park on the way home and put the awning out, have lunch and hang out. No rush because when we get home the van can sit in the driveway till tomorrow (fridge on), and we just slowly get the cloths/food out etc over the next day or 2.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Like @Pace and @relgate, it's stress free.
Mine's an older Expanda but Mrs XF and I can (for example) simply stop without unhitching. I unzip the bed fly and drop down our bed end and turn on the gas. Meanwhile she's opened up, turned lights on, put extra step in place, turned fridge on and HWS, Put kettle on, slid out the lounge, then starts making up bed while I do the outside bits of the end fly and roll out the awning, connect the TV aerial, and spin down the drop jacks, position the grey water tank or sullage hose(s). Coffee's ready and we can relax while tuning in the telly and finishing the bedding. Longer version means an extra 15-20 mins between the two of us to drop other bed end, add shade screens, skirt, floor, screw in some pegs/tie-downs, set up furniture and BabyQ and connect to 240v if needed. Most jobs are interchangeable between the two of us, although bed making looks better if I don't get involved. Establishing a routine makes it simple and straight forward. Give the kids a few tasks of their own can keep then out from underfoot and speed up the set-up or pack up.
Mrs XF also loves being able to stop and make a cuppa or meal anywhere along the way. Especially in highway service centre carparks where she can show off her Expanda style....out of Pathie, turn on gas on way to van door, inside and put lights* and kettle on.

*Don't always need the light on but it makes it harder for anyone passing by to not notice how nice our van looks inside with lovely carpet and all.

Aussiecris

Jun 11, 2012
Umina Beach
Welcome Caroline
We upgraded from a Hawk ob and couldn't be happier
I cant put a time on the setup but it is so much quicker I often pop it open
in the back yard just to tinker, Were as I hardly ever opened the hawk at home
and I love being able to access the fridge on the road
Cheers Cris

Dakemela 1

Sep 8, 2013
Hi , Upgrade time has come for us to , we have a Swan outback at the moment , ordering a 16.49.4 on Saturday .Looking foward to cut down the set up and pack up time .Not to mention packing it ready for the trip without climbing through to make sure i hadnt forgotten anything .Last trip took us 3 and a half hours to pack up , we had the annex and daughter tent which didnt help.Bloke next to us ahad and Expanda , 15 minutes and he was gone , Cheers Darrin

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, Darrin. You wont regret the upgrade as many of our members will verify, set up time is negligible unless setting up for extended stay.

Now begins the wait for delivery but at least by the time it arrives you will have a long list of mods, courtesy of the members here. :D

Keep us updated with some pictures and a bit about yourself.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi , Upgrade time has come for us to , we have a Swan outback at the moment , ordering a 16.49.4 on Saturday .Looking foward to cut down the set up and pack up time .Not to mention packing it ready for the trip without climbing through to make sure i hadnt forgotten anything .Last trip took us 3 and a half hours to pack up , we had the annex and daughter tent which didnt help.Bloke next to us ahad and Expanda , 15 minutes and he was gone , Cheers Darrin
Welcome Darrin. Set up/pack up will be a breeze compared to the Swan. I well remember that crawling inside with the lid just cracked open enough to open door...had to be an OHS issue. Started a few trips with a sore head in our Swan and our Flamingo.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
I went straight from a soft-floor camper trailer to an expanda caravan. Setup and pack-up used to take about 2 hours, now it takes about 10 minutes :)

This was one of the main reasons why we upgraded.