20' Series Roof Hatches 21.64.1 OB

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Crusty181, I'll be interested in your assessment. I'm in the 'contemplating' position at the moment.

One thought my wife came up with was to lengthen the strap that locks the door back onto the body so it can be clipped in a position that still allows the window to open whilst the door is also open. Looking at your photo, that seems to be the simplest option if it works

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
We have recently picked up our new expanda 21.64.1 OB and noticed our roof vents are a standard type vent ie, shower recess type. Has anyone else had this particular vent fitted or the better suited pop up type with the pull across sun shade.View attachment 25411

Those hatches are dodgy. I would be taking it back to Jayco and not settling for anything less than replacements with the blind/flycreens. Thats disgraceful from Jayco imho.

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
Me 3. Our 21.64-1 most definitely has the blind/flyscreen type and for what is worth they work great. Just been up at Cobram and had them open all day with the flycreens closed and then of course the blind at night to keep the light out. ;)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
mine don't shut all the way too
Your right, it is to do with gas venting; gas won't exit the lower door completely without air being able to get in to the van from somewhere else, preferably higher. The vent higher up will allow a flow of air and let any leaking gas out lower down; no air getting in, no air will be getting out i.e. an airlock. In a full height caravan, I think you'll find that at least one of the roof vents should have a warning on it against blocking the completely. Although pop tops sometimes have the same roof vents, the venting gap isn't required because the pop tops have the cut through vents in the pop skirt.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We got rid of any confusion with what they may install, and are getting 2 of the 4 season hatches instead. totally dark so wont wake the kids up! (Hoping they read the plans while making the van.)

Reactions: skippy and dagree

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
We were told by our Dealer the reason why they now don't shut all the way is because when they are used in motor homes and they are driving along, especially with the window down, the pressure causes the blind to get sucked up into the space and ruins them (not sure exactly how to explain that so I hope you understand). So that is why they put in the little metal stoppers to stop it from shutting all the way. You can take these off by the way but they won't replace the hatch if there is a problem. We were also told to leave the blind part halfway open to avoid damaging the blind in case this was to happen.

There was no mention about gas leaking, and anyway all vans have a vent up near the roof line to produce the flow of air to allow the gas to escape through the lowest vent by the step well.

Reactions: Flossymk1

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Your right, it is to do with gas venting; gas won't exit the lower door completely without air being able to get in to the van from somewhere else, preferably higher. The vent higher up will allow a flow of air and let any leaking gas out lower down; no air getting in, no air will be getting out i.e. an airlock. In a full height caravan, I think you'll find that at least one of the roof vents should have a warning on it against blocking the completely. Although pop tops sometimes have the same roof vents, the venting gap isn't required because the pop tops have the cut through vents in the pop skirt.

They could put another vent in somewhere if it was to do with gas. Ours has a vent in the side wall to outside for air, I see where you are coming from though. We have that roof hatch only in our bathroom, we have the pull blind type *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* in the main living area. My wife would be shitty with the hatches you have, sorry to say. She is always using the blinds in them.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
2014-10-05 13.21.48.jpeg

Reactions: mfexpanda

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
HMMMMMMM... Got the same hatch but no sticker on ours?
Keep an eye on those ones in heavy weather... Had two vans delivered and picked up here in Perth (Ours and @Nagga's ) that both leaked the first sign of a heavy shower.

Apparently the sealing surface is too smooth for the silicon to stick to. Had to have ours removed, cleaned, surface "roughed up" and replaced with new silicon.... All appears good now after the last trip to Waroona :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
HMMMMMMM... Got the same hatch but no sticker on ours?
Keep an eye on those ones in heavy weather... Had two vans delivered and picked up here in Perth (Ours and @Nagga's ) that both leaked the first sign of a heavy shower.

Apparently the sealing surface is too smooth for the silicon to stick to. Had to have ours removed, cleaned, surface "roughed up" and replaced with new silicon.... All appears good now after the last trip to Waroona :)
I think that the pop skirt vent comply with the requirements re gas venting ... possibly why no stickers.

Ill be certainly keeping an eye on the hatches re the leaking

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
That's the same as us @Bluey But prefer keeping it out of the elements when not in use!
bloody dog run in the way or could back it out from under cover it stops him peeing on it its a big run hes been in there a while now have to fence off the van and let him out the female is fine but he will eat the van bloody dogs :focus:

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
and with all these vents not closing and other vents in the van mite as well be sleeping out side no wonder vans are cold at night and need heater on need a draftstoper for the vents !!!!!!!!