20' Series Roof Hatches 21.64.1 OB

Bulldog

May 14, 2014
We have recently picked up our new expanda 21.64.1 OB and noticed our roof vents are a standard type vent ie, shower recess type. Has anyone else had this particular vent fitted or the better suited pop up type with the pull across sun shade. 20140828_164926.jpg

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
The vent your talking about is the 400x400 they are a good hatch
The clear type which is a dometic hatch has the pull over sunshade could be fitted we have that style on all out vans in the yard

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I thought the better ones were standard (actually, I'm almost positive.) I wonder why you got those ones?
I'll be spewing if mine arrives with no blinds on the hatches

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Looks like a stuff up to me, pretty sure the dometic are standard and you pay more for the 4 season hatched. I would be having a chat to your dealer. Reckon that day they may have been short dometics and didn't think anyone would notice.

Bulldog

May 14, 2014
Don't you hate it when you notice something afterwards, as bigman0510 said, very bright in the kids bunk area.
I guess I will be enquiring as to what is standard.
"Sometimes I wish I wasn't so fussy"

Reactions: JOBSWAN

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have a 21.61-1 OB we picked up in May, and it has the ones with the shades. I think a call to Jayco might be in order, as they are supposed to be standard.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
I have an early 2014 and only has the 400x400 hatches something to do with gas reg so I'm told as the clear ones don't shut all the way

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I had a discussion with the dealer today about turning the door around.

Can't understand why it swings towards the kitchen window making it impossible to open the window.

Quoted $1500 to turn it around.

I think a call direct to Jayco will be next, so I wouldn't hesitate calling them about your hatches.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD

Can't understand why it swings towards the kitchen window making it impossible to open the window.

I think a call direct to Jayco will be next, so I wouldn't hesitate calling them about your hatches.

Yes we've asked for a LH door hinge on our new 20.63-1, just did the final sign off yesterday :)

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Don't you hate it when you notice something afterwards, as bigman0510 said, very bright in the kids bunk area.
I guess I will be enquiring as to what is standard.
"Sometimes I wish I wasn't so fussy"
Mate, I don't think you are fussy at all, I think you are on the money asking the question.
We use the shades all the time. If we want to sleep-in in the morning I always close them when we go to bed. They also have a fly screen that can pull across, which we use when the hatch is open to stop the critters flying in.

Last edited:

M Cressey

Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand
Just come back from the dealer and we had asked for a hatch in the same location as yours it would appear that this is the location the the Aircon steel frame is situated and the only size hatch that can go in that position is a 400 x 400mm hatch, we are doing a new build so have asked for the steel aircon frame to be removed and the larger 500x500 hatch to be install

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@M Cressey not quite sure what he is talking about there. We have 3 x 500x500 roof hatches and the aircon, and a 400x400 over the shower.

Are you getting another one instead of aircon ?

M Cressey

Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand
@M Cressey not quite sure what he is talking about there. We have 3 x 500x500 roof hatches and the aircon, and a 400x400 over the shower.

Are you getting another one instead of aircon ?
yes we are not installing the Aircon and they have said the we could only have a 400x400mm hatch unless we remove the steel aircon frame inside the roof panels during the build.

Last edited:

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Omg, why didn't I think about turning the door around? When we looked at vans at the show I commented that the kitchen window can't open. Dumb! We have our door open all the time. Best idea I came up with was a metal rod to hook the door open at 90 degrees. Haven't done it yet though.
So is there enough room to open the door the other way with the awning out and annex on? Looks close.
Too expensive to change now. $1500? How much if ordered before the build?

Bulldog

May 14, 2014
"Well" I found out its a hit and miss what hatches the vans come with here in WA. "Cost saving" "maybe". I was offered a retro fitted blind from fiamma, that attaches over the existing hatch , it does actually work well.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Omg, why didn't I think about turning the door around? When we looked at vans at the show I commented that the kitchen window can't open. Dumb! We have our door open all the time. Best idea I came up with was a metal rod to hook the door open at 90 degrees. Haven't done it yet though.
So is there enough room to open the door the other way with the awning out and annex on? Looks close.

If you have annexe I believe there will be an issue (as @Crusty181 mentioned), however if you don't then yes there is enough room for the door to swing to the left instead.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I did a few rounds with the dealer/Jayco over swapping the door around. Which they flatly refused. When I mentioned "another one" already signed off (Flossy's), Jayco said they wouldn't be getting it anyway. They finally relented, but measuring the door swing on the display unit, the door will definitely hit the front annex wall. That said, if they moved the awning arm a inch or 2 forward, and moved the awning fabric further toward the front awning arm I think it would be fine. But there were too many variables for the simple folk at Jayco to be trusted with.

After a cursory look, flipping the existing door and reversing the multi fit hardware seems do-able. You would just have the door window at the bottom, but I can live with that. I reassess after delivery.

davemc has an effective fix with a piece of wire and a pool noodle

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachments/img_5452-jpg.25597/