Chassis Retrofitting an Extended Drawbar?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Beginning to think I'll just sit under a tree with a coldie or three :very_drunk:
..... and while your enjoying that cold beer; if anyone dare ask whats happening with the draw bar / bike rack you can casually refer them to all the hard work, options and necessary research discussed in this thread, and continue on enjoying the beer

Reactions: dagree and Drover

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
..... and while your enjoying that cold beer; if anyone dare ask whats happening with the draw bar / bike rack you can casually refer them to all the hard work, options and necessary research discussed in this thread, and continue on enjoying the beer
:eagerness:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
When I was away on the weekend, I noticed something weird on the drawbar of an expanda. It just didn't look normal, closer inspection revealed it was a folding drawbar. I wonder if you could do something like that but have a longer one. By the way G&S chassis do replace drawbars.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
When I was away on the weekend, I noticed something weird on the drawbar of an expanda. It just didn't look normal, closer inspection revealed it was a folding drawbar. I wonder if you could do something like that but have a longer one. By the way G&S chassis do replace drawbars.
Friends of ours had the folding drawbar modification as the new 24' van wouldn't fit in the shed!!!!

IMO, the 'extended' A-Frame should be standard on all vans, and if you want the sorter version, you can request it. Not only does it improve towing and reversing, it gives you a lot more options when it comes to accessorising your van down the track!
Totally agree @S&P

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi @dagree here's my setup as @17triton mentioned. Workd well, no issues with turning
Bike rack & Tool box.JPG

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks @JASA That looks like a good setup and seeing the cruiser in the pic "Brings back memories!!!!!" (Had one the same colour)
Time permitting hoping to take the van to a carpark and try the extended HR hitch and see how much difference it makes when turned.

As a bike rack won't fit to our towbar with with the Trig Bros hitch attachment I might try modifying a rear wheel bike carrier to lift the bikes a bit higher..... Just another job to add to the list 8-)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I did see once - in Exmouth, a Flamingo with a bike rack on the front of the draw bar, that folded down when they setup camp.......
sort of like the rear wheel carrier you already built - but at the front
I never got pic's, but basically
the bike holder that fits onto a tow ball,
mounted in the middle of the Aframe, with a pin........
pull the pin - bike rack folds forward enough for the bed on the Flamingo to slide out and setup camp.........

or

another mod to the rear bar......???

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes, I have replaced a draw bar on an old old old "Sunwagon" camper, strip it out of anything in the way,
flip it over, cut the old draw bar off
weld new draw bar - also made it go past the axle's for more rigidity
paint
re licensed
and away we went

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Dual cab ute would fix things, just chuck the treadlies in there, but then the missus would find more stuff to chuck in and you'd be back to a rack again.............................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Dual cab ute would fix things, just chuck the treadlies in there, but then the missus would find more stuff to chuck in and you'd be back to a rack again.............................
I have a dual cab work ute (and a canopy to boot). My advice is don't waste your time. Ive culled heaps of stuff from the old van to make way for the new van ... now the Lovely has noticed the space void, she wants a new giant folding sun lounge the size of a twin deck chair on the Titanic. Don't want that space void to go to waste, do we. Ill spin some tow weight/coefficient yarn, and sneak some fishing gear in there instead

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mine tried something similar once @Crusty181
I all of a sudden pulled a muscle in my back once we were on the road - and SWMBO had to unload and setup

by jeez there was lots of stuff that didnt come home, or go back into the Van once we were home......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
mine tried something similar once @Crusty181
I all of a sudden pulled a muscle in my back once we were on the road - and SWMBO had to unload and setup

by jeez there was lots of stuff that didnt come home, or go back into the Van once we were home......
Nice work ..... I can feel my dodgy back slippin a disc or two right now. Wouldn't think typing would do it, but then again Im not a Dr.

Reactions: Smirke and dagree