Chassis Retrofitting an Extended Drawbar?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just been having a couple of drinks :tea: and discussions :blah: with some friends regarding our caravan and after mentioning the issue with the toolbox coming into contact with the Prado's bumper and the issue with carrying bicycles inside, the question was asked "Why don't you extend the drawbar?"

Haven't tried towing it yet with the HR hitch set further out as suggested by @AndrewC previously in my "warning" post.

What I'm contemplating, if extending the hitch further out doesn't work, is seeing if the drawbar can be removed and an extended one (200 to 300mm) fitted.

Just wondering if anyone has had it done or knows of it being done?

Have a few questions going around in the head that I'm trying to answer myself but the brain strain is starting to set in!!!!!!!! Will be calling in to discuss this with Martin at Northside Caravan Repairs when I get a chance to see what he says.

Will post a few of the questions here shortly and see what ideas/answers others can come up with!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My main concerns/queries are:
  • Has anyone else done this?
  • Changes to tow ball weight! (Up or down?)
  • Any effect on the ESC setup as one of the required measurements was from wheels to tow hitch (Hoping this was just to do with pre-wiring requirements)
  • Cost!!!!!!!!
  • More importantly..... Warranty?
I'd be doing all the "ancillary" works like removing/reinstalling gas bottles, ali box and extending the wiring etc myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just thinking out loud :gossip:

Is all the effort really worth it just to have a box on the drawbar? Have you thought about redesigning another box that maybe tapers back to clear the Prado's rear end. Sell the existing box to help fund the new one :).

Or is what you require the box for not really flexible enough for a redsign?

It will be interesting to see if it has actually been done before.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
you would have to remove the old drawbar and weld in the new one .
alot of work you cant just extend the old one .

i wouldnt bother for the extra 300mm id explore a custom toolbox

Reactions: achjimmy

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
When we had our 18 footer expanda I went to a caravan centre (Darios) here in adelaide for a fridge repair and asked them what it was worth to extend the draw bar , they came back with a figure of $1700 - hence we stayed as we were .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
When we had our 18 footer expanda I went to a caravan centre (Darios) here in adelaide for a fridge repair and asked them what it was worth to extend the draw bar , they came back with a figure of $1700 - hence we stayed as we were .
That makes the the initial $250 factory extension option quite an important consideration.

I added a 1450w x 500d x 600w alum box to the front of our 16.49.1 with a std draw bar, and encountered @dagree 's reduced turn issues. I found that just remembering was enough to avoid contact issues. By that I mean, although it wasn't ideal, it never interfered with the car/van.

To avoid damage, I reversed until almost touching and then put tape markers on the front of the van which was visible in the mirrors. I then knew when I was getting close and thats all I required to avoid the problem ... see the tape, stop the turning. It was literally as simply as that. There were times that I probably required 3 or 4 or even 5 point turns where 2 would have done the job before the box before. But taking it all into account it never actually stopped me from getting the van into anywhere. Without doubt, the presence and benefit of the box was worth it the slight inconvenience.
$T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,BV-BQMFrBdMI!~~60_57.JPG 2013-12-31 19.22.12.jpg

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,BV-BQMFrBdMI!~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,BV-BQMFrBdMI!~~60_57.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Doable yes, enough vans have had draw bars replaced. Worth it no. As suggested get a custom box.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Removing the draw bar and welding on a new one would certainly put an unwanted couple hot spots on the chassis from the extra welding better off getting a dual cab if you need more room, would have to be at least $1500 and a hassle for a new compliance plate, then finding the rig is overloaded anyway more problems. I hate being a negative force as I'm usually a get in amongst it fella but nah, not worth it really, easier options.

I don't know what the problem is with marking out the crunch zone ???? measure out the distance from the centre of the tow ball to the edge of your vehicle, mark it on the draw bar anything from that mark to the hitch is in the crunch zone. My van has a 900mm crunch zone with the Jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks for the replies guys........

Just thinking out loud :gossip:
Is all the effort really worth it just to have a box on the drawbar? Have you thought about redesigning another box that maybe tapers back to clear the Prado's rear end. Sell the existing box to help fund the new one :).
@cruza driver The box isn't the issue it's carrying the bikes on a bike rack we were trying to work out!!!

Can only lead to trouble when you start a post with that line lol.
You were right @17triton ... It was the "discussions" we had last night that got us thinking 8-) ;)

@mfexpanda , @Crusty181 , @achjimmy and @Drover ... The current box will be staying as is. I'll be setting up the HR Hitch to sit out slightly further and take it to a local carpark and see how it goes sometime before the next trip! If necessary will be doing the markout of the "crunch zone".

they came back with a figure of $1700 - hence we stayed as we were .
:o That is definitely a BIG help to our decision!!!!!!

would have to be at least $2000
That just sealed the "No Deal" :encouragement:

As said, It was the issue of carrying bikes on the back of the car so called into a mates cycle shop and fitted a spare wheel mounted bike carrier and took some measurements. Even if extending the drawbar would be a no go!!!!! Looks like option #3 will be the go.... Roof mounted carriers for the big bikes and the grandson's bike in the back of the Prado when he comes with us.

Time for a few "discussions"
:very_drunk:

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I think a major Chassis mod like that would probably have some insurance issues also the chassis is hot dipped Galv after it is built and welding a new drawbar on would leave some possible future issues with rust. I'll take a couple of pics of my toolbox when I have the bikes on next, the carrier I made is a bit "agricultural" as we say here in the bush, but it does the job.

Reactions: dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Draw bars are replaced on vans all the time just speak to a repairer, it's no big deal other than the COST. It's just normal RHS there's no special welding required or stress reliving needed. You can also use duragal tubing which a lot of van manufacturers use today in place of cold dip gal.

To the OP you are going to get a custom box probably a lot cheaper than a new drawbar. So if hitting the tug is the only issue that's the answer.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Decent preparation and painting can be just as good as gal, besides Jayco whack tek screws into the gal chassis anyway so it's already been breached.
Have to agree with @achjimmy all the way.

@Capt. Gadget ..............I love "agricultural" it's just my style, has a certain flair to it I feel, me to a tee................

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
To the OP you are going to get a custom box probably a lot cheaper than a new drawbar. So if hitting the tug is the only issue that's the answer.

The box hitting the tug isn't the issue we were discussing @achjimmy (Unless I forget it's there!).
We were trying to figure out the best way of mounting 2 x bikes with the van behind us. Longer stays aren't an issue as we take the boat away as well and the bikes go in there but looking for a way to take them on shorter stays away without having them inside the van.