Electrical Plug gurus

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've got a 12pin flat and a round 7 on the Jeep that way I've got them all covered no matter who's rig I'm towing, so long as they are wired up standard all is good. fridge and cam run thru the 12 pin, was going for the Anderson set up but no dramas to date so will leave well enough alone.
As I've found adaptors are never there when I need them, usually at home in the shed.

@mfexpanda , might be late for me but what is the male and female flat pin in aid of.?????

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeah, I hear what your saying @Drover
the adapter for the Van and another (Large 7 pin to small 7 pin) stay in the back of the Bosses Car......
can't loose them then

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have an adaptor for the odd missfit connection, it is supposed to live with the spare tyre but ends up in the shed and I can't blame the kids now, we have gremlins I think.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
this is the back of the Bosses Cruiser
IMAG0971_zps7865772d.jpg

this is the plug I made for her car

7pin12pin_zps77b78eae.jpg

this is the back of my car, from the left, Camera Plug, 12 pin plug, No#1 Anderson (No#2 Anderson hidden under there as well), 7 pin plug, and Gas Filler

IMAG0972_zps93d45b7c.jpg

hope this helps
Hi @bigcol, did you buy the camera socket? If so, do you recall where? I've fitted a rear vision camera to my van and ran a lead from the van connecting to a lead in the car that goes to a monitor. The connectors are male / female RCA. If suitable, I'd be keen to fit a socket similar to the one you have to simplify connect/disconnect. Thanks.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Curryhouse
Have just fitted a camera to the van and will be wiring the Prado tomorrow. I was given the system as a late Christmas pressie. It's an Axis brand and available online from http://www.audioxtra.com.au
They have cables etc available separately so maybe something like this http://www.audioxtra.com.au/PRODUCTS/Mobile-Safety/TQC100T.asp may help you out?

Depending on your camera you might have to cut and connect wires tho as the 4 pin plugs do not appear to be standard according to the guy at Jaycar..... But then again he was just a junior ;)

Reactions: Curryhouse

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my previous Camera on the Flamingo had RCA plugs, however, I couldnt work out which was which to get it to work with the Polaris system
so I just took it off, and fitted a Polaris camera

with how it is now - the silver plug on the left hand side of the white car (my patrol) is the "wazza" connection to the Van
before I paid lots of coin for the Wazza, I just had the cable go into the back door, and attach to the plug inside the rear of the car......
easy plug in, close the door, and away like lightning

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @Curryhouse
Have just fitted a camera to the van and will be wiring the Prado tomorrow. I was given the system as a late Christmas pressie. It's an Axis brand and available online from http://www.audioxtra.com.au
They have cables etc available separately so maybe something like this http://www.audioxtra.com.au/PRODUCTS/Mobile-Safety/TQC100T.asp may help you out?

Depending on your camera you might have to cut and connect wires tho as the 4 pin plugs do not appear to be standard according to the guy at Jaycar..... But then again he was just a junior ;)

Thanks @dagree. Thought I was a bit optimistic thinking there would be a simple plug/socket solution for the way I have 'wired' my van and car. The cable you provided a link to is a very elegant solution. I reckon I can adapt (mod) that type of cable to suit. Will contemplate how to over a cold beer or two.

Reactions: dagree

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @bigcol, my set-up sounds like your old one - simple. I like the cable set-up @dagree gave me a link to, but I'm probably overthinking it. Might just stick to having a beer or two :)

Just had a look on ebay for a similar cable kit - several available but over $100. Will definitely be sticking to the beers now..........

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
it all depends on how many wires you have going to your camera.......
the Polaris ones have 4....
live
earth
AV out
Sound out

if you know how many wires you have, and which one is for which "thingy

this may help you...........

Waza_Pinout.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just ran my cam wires thru my 12pin to the Jeep and when I changed cams on the van I wasn't going to run the new cable and ended up just splicing into the old cable.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I went to Deerings - (by name and by nature) - alot easier from my point of view
any problems, ring them up, and they come and fix.......................

there was a thread on here about the wiring, awhile ago, I will have a look for it
meanwhile, see if you can print this out....

View attachment 29869
Decided to fit a 12 pin plug to my Sterling and had bookmarked this thread as @bigcol 's post had a good wiring diagram. While I waited for delivery of a Narva 12 pin plug, I checked out wiring on the Narva 12 pin connector fitted to my Prado. Seemed to me that wiring to a couple of pins on the 5-pin side was reversed and warranted further investigation. The plug arrived today and looking at the trailer connector wiring diagram in the packaging, I noticed a very small note stating that the wiring diagram was from the cable entry view. Looking again at the wiring of the Prado in light of this note, solved my concern about incorrect wiring.
Just thought I'd mention my experience (or lack of) as the 'cable entry view' note was missing from the diagram in the post.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When ever wiring up the trailer plugs always go by the pin numbers they are all the same and should be marked on the units, diagrams usually come with them or can be downloaded....going by a picture will always cause upset.......I use a micrphone plug for my cams now.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I went to Deerings - (by name and by nature) - alot easier from my point of view
any problems, ring them up, and they come and fix.......................

there was a thread on here about the wiring, awhile ago, I will have a look for it
meanwhile, see if you can print this out....

View attachment 29869
Decided to fit a 12 pin plug to my Sterling and had bookmarked this thread as @bigcol 's post had a good wiring diagram. While I waited for delivery of a Narva 12 pin plug, I checked out wiring on the Narva 12 pin connector fitted to my Prado. Seemed to me that wiring to a couple of pins on the 5-pin side was reversed and warranted further investigation. The plug arrived today and looking at the trailer connector wiring diagram in the packaging, I noticed a very small note stating that the wiring diagram was from the cable entry view. Looking again at the wiring of the Prado in light of this note, solved my concern about incorrect wiring.
Just thought I'd mention my experience (or lack of) as the 'cable entry view' note was missing from the diagram in the post.

ahhhh @Curryhouse I know the picture didnt say "cable entry View" (DOH never thought of putting that on)
but if you look at that
left side is the colour & pin numbers and what they are for
picture top right is Car plug- looking straight at the pins
pictures bottom right are the Van plug looking at the pins.............

to me, it was self explanatory - sorry for the confusion mate - it did not occur to me that the three pictures would be confusing

again, sorry for that

and glad you got it sorted

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
I have a 12 pin and Anderson on mine. Careful using pin 9 as jay I liked to... Mines melted. Knew I should have trusted the gut and recabled the fridge to the Anderson

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
[QUOTE="mfexpanda, post: 143142, member: 1400]
The 7 pin and the Anderson plug go onto the ute and the 12 pin plugs into the van

I'm a idiot should have looked at the date posted :censored:[/QUOTE]

Just tracked back to it and saw what it was for straight away must have been looking at it from the wrong angle...................................:ambivalence:

Reactions: mfexpanda

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
When ever wiring up the trailer plugs always go by the pin numbers they are all the same and should be marked on the units, diagrams usually come with them or can be downloaded....going by a picture will always cause upset.......I use a micrphone plug for my cams now.
Good advice re referring to markings on plugs. Thanks @Drover. Also like the use of the mike plug. Will definitely look into one of those for my camera setup.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I have a 12 pin and Anderson on mine. Careful using pin 9 as jay I liked to... Mines melted. Knew I should have trusted the gut and recabled the fridge to the Anderson

I've read a few other posts where forum members have experienced the same issue; others have reported no problems. I need to check the actual wiring of my Sterling van before I do any plug changes so that I know for sure where the anderson plug is connected to. The van has two house batteries and a compressor fridge.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Finally found some time to get back to the van. Put a meter on the van's anderson plug and had around 13VDC which suggests the wiring goes directly to the house battery. Does that sound feasible? I know there are lots of different ways of wiring up vans; just don't have any in the neighbourhood that I can compare with.