Electrical Plug gurus

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In a swan that i checked out recently I just checked the battery, a set of wires were an exact match for the Anderson plug, the Jayco wiring was way smaller. If it was hooked up to the fridge there would be no 12v feed.

Reactions: Curryhouse

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Finally found some time to get back to the van. Put a meter on the van's anderson plug and had around 13VDC which suggests the wiring goes directly to the house battery. Does that sound feasible? I know there are lots of different ways of wiring up vans; just don't have any in the neighbourhood that I can compare with.

Our Anderson is connected directly to the battery, with the fridge connected via the 12 pin

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Put a meter on the van's anderson plug and had around 13VDC which suggests the wiring goes directly to the house battery. Does that sound feasible?

If it was going through the setec the inbuilt diode would prevent power from flowing back to the anderson plug. So yes it would seem to be connected directly to the van battery.

Should be easy enough to check, Just look at the battery for wires the same size and colour as connected to your anderson. One of them going to the positive pole (most likely red) will have an inline fuse, remove the fuse and see if power stops at the anderson.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
If it was going through the setec the inbuilt diode would prevent power from flowing back to the anderson plug. So yes it would seem to be connected directly to the van battery.

Should be easy enough to check, Just look at the battery for wires the same size and colour as connected to your anderson. One of them going to the positive pole (most likely red) will have an inline fuse, remove the fuse and see if power stops at the anderson.
Agree it's connected direct to battery @boots33 but knowing Jayco wiring, the wire from the anderson plug would probably go back to the "rat's nest" behind the A-frame where colours and wire sizes could be changed. Pulling the fuses definitely the best way to find it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But the fuse box could be like mine, pull the water pump fuse and the lights go out etc, someone didn't look at the tags when wiring up.....

Reactions: dagree and boots33

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No drama with Big Mals wiring, its all buried in the walls but what I have found looks okay, they have a proper crimp tool......But no switch to turn off 12v, other than a fuse at battery. Rectified with a switch added to fuse board.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle

Thanks @boots33. I'll check for an inline fuse in the wiring around the battery. Is input via a diode needed or could it be direct from a smart charger in the car? Think I'll check in with an auto eleco to review wiring and confirm correct wiring connection for my particular van / tug combo.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Is input via a diode needed or could it be direct from a smart charger in the car? .

Either way will work ok. The diode will just stop any current flow back from the van to the car , it will however introduce about a .5v drop in voltage as well. If you have a smart charger in the line it usually will block reverse flow too.

Think I'll check in with an auto eleco to review wiring and confirm correct wiring connection for my particular van / tug combo.

Always a good idea to see the experts if you are not sure.