17' Series Please don't pick on the new kid!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
That's a good point. Is it something that I could track down through Jayco (or elsewhere) easily? And dare I say.... cheaply? I can't imagine it's a spare part people often offload...

For the time being, we'll be very careful... :)
Ebay.........l had one l off loaded not long ago,wouldve had your name on it otherwise,lm just down the road from you.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
@Smergen,

When looking at Brake Controllers, there are two types - proportional (apply more voltage as you brake harder) or fixed (applies the same voltage).

There have been many "religious wars" over which type of controller is better, so do your research here and on other forums and make sure you ask lots of questions.

I prefer to use a proportional controller as they change the voltage to the van based on your braking force. If you brake hard, then a higher voltage is applied to the van's elec. brakes. If you touch the brakes slightly, then only a small voltage.

A fixed controller is just that, a fixed voltage is applied to the van's brakes, but can be adjusted manually. When you are travelling on a highway, you will adjust the controller to send a higher voltage to apply the brakes a bit harder, but when you get into a town or driving at slower speeds, you typically need to turn the voltage down again - if you don't you might find the van's brakes being applied too aggressively and having the van's brakes/wheels lockup.

Again, this is just personal option and preference.

There have been some horror stories about buying cars with an existing brake controller installed, due to some dodgy work. Check wiring, age, etc.

When we were looking for a new tow vehicle, I found the dealer only wanted to fir the RedArc fixed brake controller as it is a small know and LED that fits into a spare switch panel on the dash. Again, I wanted a proportional controller, the dears would not fit them, so I had my Auto Elec do it.

Hope this helps

Ro

There is a new thread on here about the new Redarc unit that has both functions and is a remote unit ...so no box hitting your knee. It has only just come on to the market. It wasn't available when we were looking at the start of the year. We really wanted the remote head but there wasn't a proportional unit available.

We decided to get the brake controller fitted at the time of picking up our panda it was arranged by the dealer.

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
:) You got a spare one?

@Smergen just the one I'm afraid... whatever you end up getting to tow it, the van will end up being a great decision. We love ours, being able to get away for a quick weekend, spend a couple of weeks in comfort at a park or heading far enough off the grid to be 'away from it all' all helps to create great memories for the kiddo's (and the parents...)...

Cheers, Benrosenick[/QUOTE]

Reactions: dagree and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen just the one I'm afraid... whatever you end up getting to tow it, the van will end up being a great decision. We love ours, being able to get away for a quick weekend, spend a couple of weeks in comfort at a park or heading far enough off the grid to be 'away from it all' all helps to create great memories for the kiddo's (and the parents...)...

Cheers, Benrosenick
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what we are hoping to do...