17' Series Please don't pick on the new kid!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
G'day Gang,

Just found the forum the other week as we were doing some groundwork research and loved the info and set up of the forum. You guys should be very proud of what you've built here.

Anyhow, we've gone an purchased a 2012 17.56.2 Outback recently and hope to pick it up/get it delivered in the next week or so.

And we've thrown ourselves in the deep end because:
  1. I've never owned a caravan
  2. I've never towed a caravan
  3. I don't own a vehicle capable of towing the aforementioned 'van! :o(I've started a thread in the Tow Vehicles thread calling for ideas for a rig to tow the 'van - please help!)
But in the end we're very excited to start our adventures with our crew and exploring this fine land we a lucky to live in.

We're a family of 5, with the 3 rug rats keeping us busy (6yr, nearly 5yrs and 2yrs) but making us live life to the full. They have loved caravan shopping and are besides themselves at the thought of taking one with us when we holiday.

We've been accomplished "tenters" from way back, just decided that it was time for the next step. We're planning a "Round the Block" tour in 4/5yrs and hence decided to get a van that will service that requirement (hopefully). In the mean time we just want to get some good grounding in 'vanning, 4x4'ing and everything in between.

We are completely green on this world so please bear with me if I ask some stupid quesitons... but I always figure the most stupid one is the one you don't ask.

I look forward to participating in this forum and looking at new ways and oppurtunities to get the most out of our new purchase.

Cheers gang.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Any idea how I can raise the mezzanine in my shed 250mm to fit the new toy in?? o_O I suppose I shoulda checked that first! :)

Meh... Who needs extra storage... Time to borrow the oxy torch from my brother...

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
welcome, you will get plenty of ideas on here , as well as help, as i have received also in the past.
sounds like a great van you have purchased, plenty of future adventures to be had.

what part of town are you from?

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
welcome, you will get plenty of ideas on here , as well as help, as i have received also in the past.
sounds like a great van you have purchased, plenty of future adventures to be had.

what part of town are you from?

Down in Vic mate, in Bacchus Marsh to be precise.

All the very best... I am sure it will all fall in to place!!!

Thanks mate, appreciated.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep, welcome @Smergen
good choice of van too, we did a half lap 4 years ago in our 17' with 3 kids, mine were of the same age as when you're planning on going, great age for them to see this country.
Mine still talk about it today.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Welcome aboard @Smergen , no such thing as a stupid question ,plenty to read about and just think its not long until we have the biggest meet up at the corner ... R U interested ?????????

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Welcome @Smergen!
Don't worry about the stupid questions, they couldn't be any worse than some of mine!:o:D

On the car front, no need to spend millions!: The old 100 series Landcruiser, it's not Fancy Nancy or Hi-tech, but it won't blow a turbo or cost a pay packet to service, nor will it randomly catch fire, but it's bloody tough and guaranteed to get you there!:)8-):D:D:D

Rant over!:D

Enjoy the forum!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Welcome Smergen.

Cheers mate... hard luck on the weekend.

Goolies like melons obviously :)

Umm... OK... for the record, I don't mind melons myself.

@Smergen best choice of van as you can see, just buy a Jeep and your life will be complete

"He bought a Jeep?" Sorry... couldn't resist. It will certainly be a contender for the "upgrade" in a few years when we've renewed the bank balance! I wouldn't have thought any in my price range would be of any great quality, but feel free to set me straight.

Yep, welcome @Smergen
good choice of van too, we did a half lap 4 years ago in our 17' with 3 kids, mine were of the same age as when you're planning on going, great age for them to see this country.
Mine still talk about it today.

That's great to hear mate. I'll definitely be hitting you up for advice then. We've travelled abroad with the kids (married a Welshie) and done a couple of decent road trips. But as they grow you need to keep changing the game plan and sly tricks!! :)

Welcome aboard @Smergen , no such thing as a stupid question ,plenty to read about and just think its not long until we have the biggest meet up at the corner ... R U interested ?????????

If it was next year, I reckon we'd jump at it, but it might be a little too soon for us greenies. Might try a softer intro... But I'll be reading with envy and keeping up to date with it all.

Welcome @Smergen!
Don't worry about the stupid questions, they couldn't be any worse than some of mine!:o:D

On the car front, no need to spend millions!: The old 100 series Landcruiser, it's not Fancy Nancy or Hi-tech, but it won't blow a turbo or cost a pay packet to service, nor will it randomly catch fire, but it's bloody tough and guaranteed to get you there!:)8-):D:D:D

Rant over!:D

Enjoy the forum!

No rant at all... I love the passion everyone has in their own gear and recommendations. As long as it never becomes personal, people should embrace it. I love the summary of the 100 series mate, and is certainly one of the front runners. Thanks for the "vote". It's pretty much the brief we're looking for.

welcome @Smergen
you will find a wealth of information and Mod for your van on here

ask away, and enjoy

Looking forward to adding mods actually... One thing I think the van didn't come with is a stereo, so I'll be looking at the "degree of difficulty" of fitting one.

Thanks all for the warm welcome everyone!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Smergen and also agree you made a good choice in van;)
You'll get some great info from some on here and also can be conflicting (You know the Ford vs Holden etc thing) but at the end of the day the final decision is your own!!

The only stupid question is one that isn't asked.

Enjoy the forum and I'm sure more than one of us will gladly help you spend your hard earned dollars on tow vehicle, mods etc 8-)

Reactions: bigcol and Smergen