20' Series Passionfingers 20.64-1 OB wish list.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Hi All,
Last week after a few years of enviously looking at Expanda's in our travels, and me feeling that after setting up the Coromal Navigator camper :argue: for the last 18 mths with all the associated bits we seem to have accumulated that I have not really been on a holiday - we went for a look at the Adelaide C&C show to just look at a wish list, and walked away a few hours later having signed for a new 20.64-1 OB.

We initially were told that there would be a run in April and then another in June, we chose June to give us the time to ensure we had it straight in our minds exactly what we wanted/ needed.
Today I get a phone call saying plans have already come through from factory, looking at late April delivery, come on in to get the ball rolling!
Panic stations to a degree here - as we are still umming and ahhing over a few features, and with the website not updated, all I have is your pics on here and a brochure to guide me.
So I thought I would throw it over to you forum members, if you had your time again, and money was not such a issue (it is) what would you change on your vans.
We want to get as much as we can included in purchase price, I understand I may pay more, but from previous experience with vans, time and saving the funds for retrofit doesn't always occur.

Some things we will definitely do (today anyway!);
Extended tow bar/A frame
Foldaway bunks instead of fixed
Annexe with 2 windows and doors.
Drifter control panel
Privacy screens.

Things we are undecided on;
Washing machine was included in deal - minister for finance is now uncertain - and was thinking of changing vanity to remove cavity if washing machine isnt there, but this changes daily.
Add to solar pkg to double - so 300w and 2 x 100ah batteries I think?
Shelves installed in Wardrobes, only thing that could ever need hanging is rain jackets!
Outside entertainment bracket and plugs in a cover ( rather than sitting on included picnic table)
Add Oven, installed under hotplate and move microwave to above sink?
Has a coleman Aircond - is this a noisy unit, or is there a better model we should request?
Satellite ?
I notice many have a toolbox on the front on here, was this a factory option?
Is the reverse camera realistic in price or should I retrofit or can you just have wiring installed for future, already have one on the tug.

Currently as part of the show bonus package we got 18.5" tv ,12v Winegard Aerial and fusion stereo.

Am also thing of trying to get the drifter, radio, solar regulator etc all wired into one cupboard if possible, thinking of as we walk in door to the left, but cant remember if there is a overhead cbd there?

We planned on using this forum and others to do a bit more research, but now find that we may need to choose quickly, so feel a lil bit flustered, could someone tell me how long before delivery you could still make changes etc. to interior design, colours etc ? I think tomorrow we are basically covering off actual structural plans, from your experience is this correct?

Gee, on review I don't want much do I ???? But seriously, any advice you could pass on will be most appreciated as this will be our van for a good 10 plus years and if I can try and negate some of the headaches I have had previously it would be great.

Thanks in advance,
PF

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @Passionfingers. We were told by our dealers that there is a cutoff date that the factory can provide after which time no changes can be made. In our case is was about 6 weeks after placing the order, but we orderd in January and didn't get delivery until May.

Twin Solar panels would be a good option if you intend to do any free camping, as would be the 2nd battery, although with 2 solar panels you may find 1 battery sufficient. If you do think you might want it, have it fitted in the factory so it gets included in the weight.

I'd also suggest getting the bed end flys as well or instead of the privacy screens, they really help with making the ends watertight.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Thanks for your reply @Bellbirdweb - yeah I may have too much battery storage for the wattage- coming from our pop up camper am unsure of the power consumption we may have with all the lights and tv usage the kids may utilise, and as I am waiting to install dual battery in my BT50- I may steal it.
The dealers salesman today indicated that they have not come up with a fitting plan for the flys or the privacy screens yet, looking at a lid on a 2014 van, the seals look to have changed again on the 2015, does anyone know if this is the case?
It is difficult to make some decisions as they do not have our version on hand, and with the website not updated, I am trying to find pictures on the web, as he indicated to me that once get the plans on Saturday, if we are happy, thats it. Does this sound right?

@BigSkiddy - excuse my ignorance, do you mean an external light on the slide out side?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Yeah, light on that side is handy for setting up at night. I have one, but see if they can put the on/off switch inside the van, mine is attached to the light itself.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
They put my switch in the back of my van near the ensuite. It's a bit of a pain. I would prefe it was just inside the door or better still inside the tunnel boot near the light

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Cheers guys, not a bad idea at all, will see what I wangle from dealer tomorrow at ordering stage, it does seem that Jayco want you to just take as is, and are very reluctant to change layouts, wiring and lil finicky things to any great degree. A tad frustrating with the amount of hard earned you want to spend.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Cheers guys, not a bad idea at all, will see what I wangle from dealer tomorrow at ordering stage, it does seem that Jayco want you to just take as is, and are very reluctant to change layouts, wiring and lil finicky things to any great degree. A tad frustrating with the amount of hard earned you want to spend.

Well the reality is they probably forget or put things in the wrong place, so is best to keep simple. My salesman said best to add things later like external fold out tables, that way you can put in the spot that suits you. I tend to agree.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Definitely looking like that, as the dealer just got off the phone with me telling me all the things that could not be done, not to mention initial pricing given to me was on wrong model as well. Going to be an interesting convo in a few hours with the minister for finance.:doh:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Definitely looking like that, as the dealer just got off the phone with me telling me all the things that could not be done, not to mention initial pricing given to me was on wrong model as well. Going to be an interesting convo in a few hours with the minister for finance.:doh:

Bugger, have your put down a deposit? I'd probably walk away from this, sounds like there are too many variables. Also don't be foolled into thinking you're getting a good deal at the show, I got a price at a Sydney show but did $2K better at the dealer.

For your own peace of mind, do a bit more research on what you want, know the RRP of the extras and then walk into the dealer and screw them for a deal.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Yeah had all the RRP up my sleeve, and really just wanted what was on offer in the 2014 models layout wise - but walking away may be the best option atm - thought the initial show price was too good to be true, hence why we jumped in, and with the lower price thought we may be able to option up a bit more at purchase time with the savings rather than piece by piece down the track.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Yeah had all the RRP up my sleeve, and really just wanted what was on offer in the 2014 models layout wise - but walking away may be the best option atm - thought the initial show price was too good to be true, hence why we jumped in, and with the lower price thought we may be able to option up a bit more at purchase time with the savings rather than piece by piece down the track.

if they have quoted, and you have a contract for X amount - not your fault if they were looking at the wrong Van pricing
they would screw you given 1/2 a chance, why not tell them that
"you quoted me X dollars at the show, we signed a legal contract for that van at that price........... now your saying its wrong, sorry - you have a contract.........."

might not be a good idea, but thats MY first thoughts....

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
if they have quoted, and you have a contract for X amount - not your fault if they were looking at the wrong Van pricing
they would screw you given 1/2 a chance, why not tell them that
"you quoted me X dollars at the show, we signed a legal contract for that van at that price........... now your saying its wrong, sorry - you have a contract.........."

might not be a good idea, but thats MY first thoughts....
Didn't @Bluey get his when they quoted the wrong cheaper price ?

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Go for it @Crusty181 - I would value all feedback, like I said, it's a wishlist, some I can get, some I may not, but what I think is important may have turned out as a waste, only you guys who have already purchased and field tested really know.
We may yet walk away and reset, we know what we want, but are already losing confidence in the process, and having been down this path only a few years ago with another brand, am a bit gunshy.

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
yes I did @mfexpanda and @Passionfingers they quoted me standard model price written on a business card with OB 2014 1756-2 on it and his name didn't put a deposit this was Saturday rang him Tuesday and told him sold droped deposit over phone thought u would he said we made a mistake on price but have to honour it now that why I brought it I said stuff them if u have the cash force them to sell it to u for price quoted there's always vcat u should be in a winning position ????????? giddy up !! I got mine 5 grand cheaper and with my mods still cheaper than one of the shelf

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Passionfingers, we've got the 2014 20.63.1OB and like you guys, it was ordered with all the bells and whistles for a long haul and long ownership.
I agree with all your first list except the fold away bunks.
I wasnt so excited about the flimsy feel of the fold up bunks, and home handyman like appearance.
The Ext drawbar is great especially on a big van, and makes a noticeable difference in reversing ease, and allows room for a storage box to be mounted which is also invaluable.
Given my choice again after seeing a few annexes over xmas, I would opt for the annex brand (which I don't know, sorry) that has zipper split main wall, and all walls of majority mesh. Still did what my annex does, but could be opened right up.
Drifter panel is pretty good; there's other cheaper, better units on the market but Jayco use Drifter and you'd have to instal the others yourself ... so the Drifter is good enough.
Privacy screen, or preferably the light canvas flies ... are a must have.

I wasn't so fussed on the washing machine, but Mrs Crusty wanted it .... possibly the best decision "I" have made. Its fantastic, and does the bed sheets and beach towels on its ear. And if you camp enough, will definitely pay for itself. We both run/jog/ride, and having the washing machine in the van just to throw in a couple of things ... like sweaty clothes after a run is priceless. For the last few years we've been carting around a single tub Companion washing machine, which for anyone reading this is an awesome unit which punches well above its weight ... back to topic ... prior to the Companion, what would usually happen, is we would wait until the laundry bag was cost effectively full enough to warrant the laundrette shuffle ... then wait our turn part with the coin and try not to let our mind wonder to what the hell has been put in the machine before we got there.

I upped our solar panel to a 150w, and added a battery I already had sitting at home. 300w panels and 200amp/hr of battery storage is massive .... I would expect that you would need to be free camping for weeks rather than days to get the uses from it, or running inverters etc.
Caravan hanging space is just wrong .... except for my business suit of course. Shelves are much more practical.

We have the Ext Entertainment Unit, which I thought might be handy and its great. Its just a generic hatch (same as the toilet tank) and the cabinet under the sink is boxed out with a bracket, power and antenna point. Be specfic (on contract) where its put, they were going to put ours very low under the bunk which would have been useless. It went under the sink, and despite promises, the van door opens about 3 inches over it, and impacted the van door catch ie cant have it. I had to source a Dometic Silverline magnetic catch myself. Back to the Ent unit itself, I love it.

We opted for the oven .... we use the oven every day at home so thats just a no brainer to us.

We optioned up to the Ibis aircon and Ive posted a review on the forum. We haven't used the heater component, but as an aircon its flawless
http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/ibis-aircon.6172/
The alum tool boxes on the drawbar are something you will have to source yourself. The extended drawbar will offer better turning clearance, and youll need to relocate the gas bottles either into the box or on a manufacture frame of some description in front of the tool box.
The Fusion stereo is another Mrs Crusty idea (demand) that Ive falling in love with and claim as my own idea. We've never had a radio of any description in any of our vans previously, and this one was used almost daily. The Fusion stereo looks like a car radio but is a purpose designed RV stereo with phone bluetooth, USB connection/charging. We opted for the basic of the two Fusion offerings and find it fantastic

We had the 240v power points in the bunks that were at face level relocated to the foot end with 12v and TV connections

Consider an Anderson plug for the fridge power from the car, especially if you optioning up to the bigger fridge

Ensure you get the wall plating down for the TV, because you cant mount a TV without it. If you order the van with the TV it will have the plating.
We have the Fiama rear wall bike rack which is terrific, and if that's a maybe option for you either now or later get the wall plated for it when you order.

The design/layout of the new equivalent to 20.63.1 incarnation is different to what we purchased. The plans shown on the website are not what they had on display at the Melbourne show .... so it would be prudent to see what your considering in the flesh, and not an older display model with the salesman's best guess on what may or may turn up on handover day.

Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
Thanks @Crusty181 for confirming all that I thought we may need / want. All our grief has come about because this year the 20.63-1 is the opposite of last year, so we are after the model with bed on each end, unfortunately that has led to a lot of confusion from salesman used the old model numbers quoting on last years details. So your model is now called to 20.63-2 OB.

Yesterday turned out far better than we expected with the dealer being very accommodating over the loss of confidence we had in the process so far, I am pretty sure he realised when we walked in we were about to head back out the door and he would be refunding our deposit, and he gave us a great deal in the end, and the minister for finance had a smile on her face again at the end of the meeting, so we went ahead with the purchase.

I have opted to get rid of the entertainment unit, the factory wanted to put it down in the cafe dinette area, pointless to us, that would be where we set up a lot of our outside cooking gear and after finally seeing what space we had and what it would eat into, meh, we can live without it, and I am not without a few skills to retrofit a bracket at a later date for the amount of time it will be used.

Going the solar 300w with 200AH of battery as last year on a trip for 4 days free camping in 40 deg plus heat, with the 12v fans, the tv on with ABC for kids DVD's blaring for the 3 yr old, I found the 180w,100AH I had in the camper struggling a lot.

The Anderson plug for the fridge - is that a direct feed from vehicle battery, or from a dual battery? Is the feed in the 12 pin just not heavy enough to handle the load from the 4601 unit?

I will fit the TV brackets for the dinette and the rear bed later myself, as we will transfer the tv from our old van as well as use the new one from the showpack which we got upgrade in size for nothing.

I read your thread on the Ibis, so we went the upgrade to the 3 - should work well we hope, the olds bought a Sterling last year and over xmas on the stinking days I just sent the kids down to visit them in the same park, so we are excited about that considering the temps we usually encounter here in SA.

Can I ask why you relocated bunk power points to the foot end (and what is the foot end)?

We did finally manage to get back into the model that was on display at the show yesterday, without a cafe though, and it was great to take pics and confirm in our mind what we thought we wanted where. I have been fairly anal in going over the plan details, much to their horror, PID's and design layouts are up my alley in my working life - and adding a few 12 volt points in the van for fans etc. when we free camp in the heat.

Can I ask about water filtration, we have never had it before and I was laying in bed last night and remembered about it, is it standard on these vans? Do ppl go for 1 filter under the sink or straight from the tank etc. This is an area we have no experience in, apart from filling our old van 80l tank up and having to cart water in containers previously.

Thanks for all the other information, the minister has been reading and nodding her head, so she is happy- like you we are wanting long ownership and added quite a few bells and whistles, long way from the swag and ute nowadays.

Interestingly, from prices I saw posted from the Melbourne show, they were all 3k dearer on the 20.63 OB than here at the SA show. Not sure how that works with the factory in that state and road freight etc pricing.