16' Series Outback or underslung

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Go the 50 mm packers thats all the OB models have, may not be a leaf spring axle so you wouldn't have a choice. Go over the paperwork closely and look beyond the bling when it arrives, give it a real good check before you take it out their gate, easier to get things fixed if you won't accept it.
I haven't really looked if my outback has any 50mm packing

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Looks like you get a Jtech suspension so the 50mm is the only way to go, easier to get it built that way as be a pain to do after.
Only means a 50mm bit of square is welded to the bottom of the chassis to give extra height, same thing done to many vans but people probably wouldn't notice.
I would have thought that the Jtech suspension was standard with the Outback v a standard axle with the non-outback / tourer? ie, raising by either method would only be applicable to the non-outback models with the Outbacks already sitting higher. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong or misunderstood.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have an outback with Jtech suspension and I just about get a nose bleed when I climb up into it. I certainly would not want to raise it as I can't reach the roof clips now.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Aawww, come on............it's a fact, I even had to use a milk crate to see inside the thing............thats not really relevant as I'm a short arse anyway. But thats why I bought a tray back........

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We have a 2015 17.56 touring and has underslung axils + a 25mm ish block on top of axle under spring.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a look and there is no 50mm packing used on the outback jtech suspension on our van

It's intriguing @mfexpanda , I was sure I had seen a set up at the van show recently, but then a touring model has a narrower chassis I think. Need more research.

We have a 2015 17.56 touring and has underslung axils + a 25mm ish block on top of axle under spring.
Now that sounds interesting, couldn't put up a pic at all ??? Rolling the axle under the spring and just using the standard 10mm plate between spring and axle for the center bolt would give you around 100mm lift with 2 ton springs/50mm axles but having a 25mm plate would really push it up.....Is your hitch on top of the draw bar or at the bottom ????..................................that would work.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
It has the outback drawbar so it's an inch wider and at the bottom. Pics are average. Just had some American Honeys and it's dark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 247

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ah yes ! that explains it, forgot about the offset axle set ups....................another combination entirely...................Hmmmmm Turkey, yum.

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Well still no wiser on whether it will be underslung or blocked, but do know the extras are confirmed and should be ready mid-October.

Since I don't have a choice on how they will raise it I left it out of the conversation today. Had enough ground to cover on finalising the agreed package. Will start a post in the my van section with all the details.

Very excited:)

Reactions: Tone and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Doesn't matter how they do it, so long as it doesn't drag it's bum coming out of the roadhouse your laughing. So you should have it by Xmas.

Reactions: dagree

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Outback for us, so much easier to crawl under and work on, put jacks under axles, not worry about gutters, inclines, weird driveways. And the kids can crawl under to get things if they roll under it :)
Plus the outback sits much better with the height of our tow boat.