16' Series Outback or underslung

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all

I've been using this site for research over the last couple of months and have settled on upgrading our camper trailer to a 16.49-1 (2011 onwards models). All that is left to decide is whether to go for an outback model or not.

With two kids (3 and 6 months) we primarily camp at caravan parks. However, I would like to have the flexibility to occasionally camp in designated camp areas that allow fires (makes camping real for me). None of these would truly be off-road but may involve dirt road access.

Therefore I am wondering if underslung would give the additional clearance necessary for such access and hence increases the choice of currently available expandas (ie buy one then get the under slinging done which I understand costs around $500). Or wether whilst I'd have the clearance things like corrigations in the road really need the extra strength of the outback.

Any thoughts really appreciated as I'd love to make a purchase before the end of August.

Ps thanks for all the great content on the site

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We got a outback as we have a slope to get in the backyard. We could of got in underslung although there was other extras in the outback package we wanted so was worth it. Solar, Battery, Gas Bayonet, drop jacks etc. Depending on the year will depend on what extras there was in the standard outback pack.
If your looking second hand you should find a few already done as standard touring or maybe hang out for a outback. Yes you can do it later although if you get one with a Annex you might have problems with annex length.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Looking secondhand I'd just take what ever comes up and suits @Gogeelong . If it's a road version just get it underslung. The advantages to me are more for servo driveways and deep guttered streets etc than and dirt tracks I have been on.

Reactions: Drover

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi @Gogeelong and welcome to the forum, have to agree with @davemc re: annex length after underslinging the axle, a friend of ours did just that and now her annex isn't quite long enough to reach the ground, it will require about a 6" strip to be added all around. That said underslinging the axle is o/k and relatively easy to do just be aware the jacks will have to extend a lot further to reach the ground and I fitted a step to assist her in getting into the van as it's a lot higher now. We ourselves have a 2013 18.57-6OB and couldn't be happier with it, or cause we've added our own mod's as you do thanks to this forum. I can see fun days ahead for you as you make up your mind find your van and then start mod's to it.
Dave

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having gone thru the process I would say ideally go for the Outback model, with modding a tourer you have the problems mentioned above plus you can have tow hitch height problems if unlucky, depends on your vehicle. I have posted the how to's on here somewhere not hard but without the gear and a good work area it is a pain of a job.
You will get around 100mm in extra height, which when loaded up may drop to a 85mm, so while your looking park your tug on flat ground with a full tank of fuel and measure your draw bar height with the tongue in both positions ,so while shopping around you can measure the van hitch height, allow about 25mm drop for your tug, I actually use my knee to measure it.
Depending on your tug you may not need the extra weight of a WDH, they are heavy things.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Gogeelong and welcome to the forum. The strength difference btw on and "so called" off road models doesn't transfer to anything above the chassis. If you managed to take the van anyway that resulted in bending the chassis of a touring (on road) model, Id suggest everything that was sitting above the chassis would have fell off long before the chassis bent.

The touring models are really low, and from your description of where you'll be using it an underslung axle would serve you well. The Outbacks do look very cool tho, and you can't ignore that. The newer Jtech suspension is VERY high; I have one and I think its too high. The pre Jtech height was IMO perfect, and that would be similar to the underslung tourer height

One of the members here @Colsar is selling his 16.49 tourer. Have a search around or drop him a private message. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Do a internet search and see what a few sold for get a idea on price.
Think what extras you would like if your lucky. If you want big fridge and roof air or extra's like extra 12v, external TV point, TV, privacy/storm screens, an annex thats $'s later,.. Which do you prefer the Dinette or club lounge.
We made a list of the extras we liked and the ones we needed and $ values.
So we could compare vans selling.
Like underslung around $500 extra

Have a look around OZ see what you can find depending on how quick you want one you will see prices differ. A pickup trip holiday to get a van less $'s and more specs might be fun.

good luck :)

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
A touring van will take you just about anywhere you want to go. If you do plan to go off the bitumen then some extra ground clearance will be necessary. Underslung sounds like it would suit you and save the cost of an Outback.

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Some great info to consider thank you. I think in general if there was an outback and tourer available I'd pay the little bit extra to avoid any risk from doing the mod.

Time to go back over the various sale sites and look at both again.

The caravan and camping show is also on in Adelaide this weekend so can have another look at all models:biggrin-26:

Reactions: Drover

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Well I went to the show and walked away with an order for a 16.49-1 touring model underslung with plenty of extras:)

Can't wait for it to arrive in a few months. Will post all the details in the My Jayco section. Then I will be reading madly the tips and tricks on this site.

Pumped:):):)

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Hi @Gogeelong and welcome to the forum. I too have just placed an order for a 16.49.1 Touring and wanted the Underslung axle for a bit more clearance. My dealer has told me the 2015 axle doesn't support under slinging but instead they weld to 50mm packers to the chassis to give a bit more clearance. You might want to check that for yourself. Go for the drop jacks also.

John

Gogeelong

Jul 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi @JohngQld

I have to call Jayco tomorrow to confirm list of extras (annoyingly a could of things agreed to got left off the paperwork written up for me, including the drop down jacks grrr - should make for an interesting convo).

I will ask about the underslung v 50mm packers. Apart from both methods raising the van is there other pro's and cons of the two approaches?

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Go the 50 mm packers thats all the OB models have, may not be a leaf spring axle so you wouldn't have a choice. Go over the paperwork closely and look beyond the bling when it arrives, give it a real good check before you take it out their gate, easier to get things fixed if you won't accept it.

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
I'm not sure of the technical facts to support either way, it's not of much consequence as Jayco will only do the 50mm packers. Once done by the factory it has to be 100% compliant so I think it's best to trust their judgement here. Can't say I have crawled under a 2015 to find what type of axel it is, might pay them a visit in the next week or two and have a look. It would be great if someone has a 2015 touring model, if they could post a picture of the axel.
John

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like you get a Jtech suspension so the 50mm is the only way to go, easier to get it built that way as be a pain to do after.
Only means a 50mm bit of square is welded to the bottom of the chassis to give extra height, same thing done to many vans but people probably wouldn't notice.