Chassis Outback chassis step, anybody changed there's to a double?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Amazing really, like Jayco you shouldn't be able to supply something that can potentially break somebodies leg! There's an Australian standard for steps in buildings and the bloody RV industry should look at enforcing it.

That's it. some manufactures are now building vans without the internal step depending on layout for exactly that reason, usually models with front bed and door, people getting out of bed and falling on the internal step breaking ankles etc. in turn though they have to add at least 2 external steps.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have been meaning to make a step that fits inside the door, with a flip lid for storage
Saw someone with one at a park and think someone here done the same.
Yes I am the guy who walks around the park looking for ideas :) and having a chat of course
Yep, that was @hamish22

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I was thinking about this some time ago. A double folding step with the option of only folding out the top step, not sure if any on the market do this but it would be a winner!

Yes @Burnsy it would. The starcraft is that bloody high it needs the double pretty much all the time even with a slab, but the old Expanda could have used one occasionally which is where the option you talk about would work.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
I have been meaning to make a step that fits inside the door, with a flip lid for storage
Saw someone with one at a park and think someone here done the same.
Yes I am the guy who walks around the park looking for ideas :) and having a chat of course
@Burnsy maybe reffering to this one I made!
xtep 1.jpg
step 2.jpg
step 3.jpg

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
All your outback jayco campertrailers come with same step but a double step (eg swan) so you should just be able to go into your jayco dealer buy it and bolt it straight on. You would have to check but im sure looking at the step on the basestation it is mounted by the same 4 bolts as the swans was.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Was going to take a photo fir you today @davemc , but had family over for a BBQ, so it was likely to have been a little blurry:D
no probs yes end up with half a thumb and a can instead :) thought not a bad idea just the one I got was too wide.. see if any smaller.
Have some left over chipboard shelfs I could use although would rot in a week :)

Reactions: crackacoldie

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All your outback jayco campertrailers come with same step but a double step (eg swan) so you should just be able to go into your jayco dealer buy it and bolt it straight on. You would have to check but im sure looking at the step on the basestation it is mounted by the same 4 bolts as the swans was.

Nope, it's wider. There's a way to make it fit with some angle but then the swan etc don't have the built in step so the bloody thing would hang down a further 300mm which imo would be asking for trouble

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I've been on slab sites where I've had to pack up the other side of van making my step close to the slab. In this case I think the second step would stop you folding them out, hence the option of only having 1 step out and not both.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All done, braced it up and had to use 30mm angle to space it down, this could be 25mm. I welded it on but you could bolt it as holes are there. It's suprisingly a lot sturdie than I thought, but I added 4 more braces and re welded a few bits. My suggestion if anybody isn't the handiest is to get @Burnsy to do a simalar number on it, maybe he could make the bottom step so you can use both sides too.

Big thanks to @AndrewC for his post, again the forum is fantastic for sharing resources.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 271