Chassis Outback chassis step, anybody changed there's to a double?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
i am sick of carrying the stool thing for the extra step! The outback chassis is to high for a single step imo. I have worked out a way to fit a swan double step but they hang down a fair bit even folded. Found this one at caravans plus that looks like it will fit the van step brackets and be a good compromise. But I can look at it I have to order one.

Anybody done this or thought about it?

This is the Caravan plus one http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=7549

image.jpg

Reactions: Flossymk1

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Tried to get the double step from the factory when we ordered ours, but they refused to fit one.

Would be keen to see how you go as this is something we would like to do.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Yep as Tim said, I did it and was quite easy.

This is the exact one I used

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12664

It fit perfectly left to right but I had to shave with a grinder 5mm from the white powdercoated aluminium surround on the bottom edge of the door frame.

Reason for this is the bottom step clips is as its unfolded.

I don't think I have any photos as I have sold the van but I can say, it was an awesome improvement

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Too late, my step is somewhere in a truck heading towards me.

It's a good idea but I don't want something else to carry, I wanna fold it out

Reactions: expanda

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Need to look at fitting a step (single) to the beast, wasn't sure how high it would be so didn't order factory fit.
It ended up quite high, I'd even say I think its higher in body clearance than the Panda, We did buy the aluminium step stool thingy but it was small and easy to miss if you step out, ended up buying a bigger one (Aldi). However if you're on uneven ground it can still be high.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Need to look at fitting a step (single) to the beast, wasn't sure how high it would be so didn't order factory fit.
It ended up quite high, I'd even say I think its higher in body clearance than the Panda, We did buy the aluminium step stool thingy but it was small and easy to miss if you step out, ended up buying a bigger one (Aldi). However if you're on uneven ground it can still be high.

Amazing really, like Jayco you shouldnt be able to supply something that can potentially break somebodies leg! There's an Australian standard for steps in buildings and the bloody RV industry should look at enforcing it.

Reactions: davemc

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the thought has been floating around in my head for awhile @achjimmy
I have a folding alli step thing they sell, and am not "overly" enthusiastic about it

would love to see your write up (and piccies) when yours arrives

more things to ponder........

Reactions: achjimmy

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have been meaning to make a step that fits inside the door, with a flip lid for storage
Saw someone with one at a park and think someone here done the same.
Yes I am the guy who walks around the park looking for ideas :) and having a chat of course
I use a garden sprinkle box with a floor added, fits perfectly into the drop step inside the door. Is more stable than the steps with legs and gives me extra storage space

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the problem I have is.........

my daughter is intellectually challenged, so I need something stable and safe for her to use getting into and out of the Van

hence the interest in what @achjimmy is up to.......

never really been comfortable with the step, but its better than nothing....

Reactions: cruza driver

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We currently use a large (Fiamma? brand from memory) step from CAMEC. It has holes in the feet that can be pegged down. Looked at a double pull out step the other day at CAMEC but at $300+ couldn't justify the spend. The pegged Fiamma step seems to do the job and there have been no accidents even after a few reds or whites or beers etc etc etc ;)

Also interested in seeing the outcome as to what @achjimmy is up to!

Edit.... Forgot to mention the grey step gets stored on the inside step (Just)

Reactions: bigcol