17' Series Our first van, 17.56-2 OB due in June

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Hi all, great forum you have running here!
We've made the leap from Oz-tent to van...with the arrival of our third girl there was just not enough room in the Pajero for all the gear...so we skipped the camping trailer stage and went straight to the Expanda! We can't wait for it to arrive..just 59 sleeps to go!!
I have a few questions...
-how do you stop the crockery from moving around in the cupboard...we've lashed out on some Corelle (fm DFO store at Moorabbin airport-$49 for 16 piece)
-we haven't gone with an annex..I'm thinking maybe just a shade cloth attachment to awning-eBay for this?
-I've got heavy duty suspension on the Pajero...is it likely I therefore won't need a wdh?
-I've ordered ESC, has anyone put an on/off switch in the wiring for that (for when I take it off road)?
-I've gone for the extended draw bar...intending to put a box on it...anyone know a good place to get one with side doors and drawers rather than top opening?
-last, but not least, where is the best value storage that people have found (preferably SSE Melb)?
Thanks in advance everybody!

Reactions: bigcol

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Oh, the list of extras is;
-extended draw bar
-outside shower & light above it
-picnic table
-shelves to wardrobe
-trigg hitch
-upgrade to 150w solar
-Coast to coast control panel
-ESC
-show pack with stereo/speakers/TV & wind-up aerial
....and lots of Aldi accessories!!

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Congrats on your purchase, the 17.56-2 is a great van,

We should be picking our 17.56-2 up in about 4 weeks, very similar mods, IMO I don't think you need a switch on the ESC, we are also getting this fitted and when at the show I spoke to the ALKO guys and really you only need to turn this off when you have high articulation and 4WD tracks probably not suited to a 17.56-2.

ALKO did advise they support a dedicated connection from the vehicle via a anderson plug so you can just disconnect this but Jayco have their own wiring harness which they use for the ESC, so it might be a mod you make once you get the van.

look forward to the adventures once the van arrives and of course pictures

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Welcome @Mustang to the forum and I can't wait to see some pics. We lined the bottom of the cupboards with the rubber non slip matting and helps with the crockery (not sure with outback travel though).

Reactions: Mustang and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all, great forum you have running here!
We've made the leap from Oz-tent to van...with the arrival of our third girl there was just not enough room in the Pajero for all the gear...so we skipped the camping trailer stage and went straight to the Expanda! We can't wait for it to arrive..just 59 sleeps to go!!
I have a few questions...
-how do you stop the crockery from moving around in the cupboard...we've lashed out on some Corelle (fm DFO store at Moorabbin airport-$49 for 16 piece)
-we haven't gone with an annex..I'm thinking maybe just a shade cloth attachment to awning-eBay for this?
-I've got heavy duty suspension on the Pajero...is it likely I therefore won't need a wdh?
-I've ordered ESC, has anyone put an on/off switch in the wiring for that (for when I take it off road)?
-I've gone for the extended draw bar...intending to put a box on it...anyone know a good place to get one with side doors and drawers rather than top opening?
-last, but not least, where is the best value storage that people have found (preferably SSE Melb)?
Thanks in advance everybody!
Hi @Mustang and welcome. We've used the rolls of Ikea plastic shelf liners, which is very cheap. With the high cost of the WDH, id suggest waiting to see how it tows, but the estimated ball weight would be a good indicator.

A friend of mine stores his van at a storage facility on a farm around Cranbourne somewhere

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you can buy some stuff like this at most places
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-...22?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4638794876

you can get smaller rolls, just what was up on ebay when I just looked
we lined all the shelves with this, and it stops stuff from moving too far away
we tried paper plates & cups & plastic cutlery for awhile
but settled on plain plastic plates & stuff, real fighting irons (knives forks spoons) only ceramic mugs are for coffee

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Bunnings had rolls of non slip matting on special,same as caravan/camping stores stock, when we were looking. Lined all cupboards, drawers etc and also got some plastic plate stackers (From Camec from memory) but also cut small pieces of the non slip matting and placed between each plate/dish.

Cups, glasses (plastic) etc are now sitting in small plastic trays that have rubber dots on the bottom and have "so far" been OK

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Thanks everybody-some great responses!
I've heard of someone cutting the shape of their crockery out of foam box lids and using that to stop them sliding around! I've got some non-slip stuff from Aldi, so I might give that a whirl after reading your suggestions..
I, too spoke with an ALKO bloke at the show, and he did suggest an anderson plug to separately power the ESC... it might have to be something I do after handover..
A farm might be an option for storage...was hoping to find something a little closer to bayside...any other thoughts?
And @Soaring , I have certainly voted for both van and tug!!
Keep the suggestions coming!!

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Al-Ko recommend unplugging the ESC when off road driving and an anderson plug is the easiest solution. I asked for it to be wired from factory but the dealer did it before pickup. (For free) :D

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was in a $2 store the other day and they had rolls of that non slip stuff, way cheaper than the "brand name "stuff, looked the same to me also. If you fit any Anderson plug make sure it's soldered and shop around for them, some prices are robbery.
Agree with the @Crusty181 wait and see how it sits and rides before going with a WDH, you may not really need it, how you load the thing can make all the difference.
Our plates and stuff are melamine and just live in those plastic ALDI trays while travelling and they have racked up heaps this last year with no dramas, proper coffee mugs though which sit in big stubbie holders and the wine lives in a rack I built, pics in my link.
See what you want at a caravan shop or online then check out Bunnings, Aldi, K Mart and buy 6 for the same price.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well don't book anything until you have the thing on your tow bar.........and have a great time with your new toy.