numbez 2014 17.56-2 Expanda Outback

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Well thought it time to make a start on a post for our Expanda. We've completed a few small trips now since we took possession back in Sep last year. We squeezed 4 trips in before the end of the year; a 2 nighter, 4 nighter, 1 nighter and a 9 nighter. The only trip in 2015 so far was a 1 hour circuit testing the Hayman Reese WDH and setting its levels etc.

First modification was installing shelves in the robe cupboard which we use as a pantry using a light gauge ply to keep the weight down. Following this we stuck a few 3m hooks around for various towels and bags and installed a bottle/shampoo holder in the shower area.

Outside I've started the more serious modifications for our upcoming 'corner country' trip this year.
IMG_0308.JPG

I've installed some stone protection along the water pipes using old piping I had lying around. I just slit this in half and reattached with cable ties, a great idea discovered on this forum (can't recall who's idea I stole here, but thanks anyway!)
IMG_0309.JPG

The upcoming modifications involve relocating the spare wheel to the rear, most possibly underneath, so I can install a front tool box to house our weber and extra mats and tarps etc.

Last weekend involved setting the WDH as our tow vehicle needed levelling.
IMG_0313.JPG

This photo shows how installing the WDH doesn't restrict the turning circle all that much.

Here's a picture after levelling.
IMG_0316.JPG

I haven't got a picture before the WDH but it needed a raise. The ride is certainly much more stable and less bouncy. I now need to weld on a new jockey wheel bracket inside the A-frame so I can use the jockey wheel while installing the WDH each time. It's pretty much impossible levering the bars on without taking the weight off them.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
That’s one of the items I'm glad that I did get done when we originally oredr our van, but they left the other bracket on the outer of the A frame as I was told we can add item but we will not remove item so you can cut it off yourself, very strange. But it does make life extremely easy to put the bars on and off. The only problem is once the hand brake is on it makes it hard to tighten up the clap for the jockey wheel, small price to pay.

Reactions: numbez

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
A good thick foam like that covers hot water pipes etc that plumbers use, Bunnings will have it.

I used expansion foam on our last couple of trips and wrapped it around the fittings as thats what I had lying around. It held up well and did the job but really needs redoing.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I haven't got a picture before the WDH but it needed a raise. The ride is certainly much more stable and less bouncy. I now need to weld on a new jockey wheel bracket inside the A-frame so I can use the jockey wheel while installing the WDH each time. It's pretty much impossible levering the bars on without taking the weight off them.
I actually just posted this on another thread.
I wind the van up nice and level with the jockey wheel and fit the RHS WDH arm, but I find I can still actually fit the LHS WDH arm it just contacts the jockey wheel shaft a little.
I wind the jockey down a little to get the weight back on the car, then take it off, and finish winding it all the way before sticking it in the boot.
Same in reverse to unhook everything.

Reactions: dagree and numbez

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
I wind the van up nice and level with the jockey wheel and fit the RHS WDH arm, but I find I can still actually fit the LHS WDH arm it just contacts the jockey wheel shaft a little.
I wind the jockey down a little to get the weight back on the car, then take it off, and finish winding it all the way before sticking it in the boot.
I may just have to give this a try, thanks @Soaring. From memory though the jockey wheel was right in the way of where the WDH arm was heading. I've already welded another jockey wheel bracket on, but still worth a try.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

That's how I used to do it on our previous van but had to remove the jockey wheel to fit the left WDH bar...... Apparently this is how Hayman Reece recommend you fit them!

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Well finally completed the next modification which was to relocate the spare wheel to the rear underneath of the Expanda. It is quite a tight fit for the 15 inch wheel. We welded up a bracket to fit into the existing holes of the bracket which holds the water tank, then attached the wheel carrier winch to this. After attaching a couple a thick pieces of rubber to the bracket arms the wheel sits nice and tight up under the van. The main challenge was leaving enough room for the winch handle to line up with the winch socket and slip between the top side of the rear bumper bar and the bottom of the van. All in all, a very tight fit. I'll post up a few photos of the finished job when I'm under the van next.
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG

createit

Apr 29, 2014
Would love to see a pic of the bracket on the van and then the spare in under there. Am hoping to do similar in the next month as I have a custom made toolbox arriving next week.

Reactions: Smirke

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
The next project which has been earmarked is to install this little fella. Its a Dometic 12v Diesel Heater. I have spoken to many people about these little heaters and consistently hear great reviews on their efficiency and effective heating. It came delivered with all parts and pieces needed for the install except for the 6mm auto cable to connect from the supplied wiring loom to the battery.

IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg

Reactions: achjimmy and Tone

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Planning to do a similar project - with a Planar Diesel Heater - cost is $830 with muffler, tank and ducting for intake and output. Just waiting for the next shipment. Want to install it before our trip to the east in a few months.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well today I called past @numbez place to see what he has been upto. Guess where I found him?.........Doing more mods on his Expanda

I checked out what he has been upto and what else he has planned for the ever evolving Expanda.
It was good catch up mate :thumb:

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Well today I called past @numbez place to see what he has been upto. Guess where I found him?.........Doing more mods on his Expanda

I checked out what he has been upto and what else he has planned for the ever evolving Expanda.
It was good catch up mate :thumb:
Thanks for the catch-up @cruza driver and it was great to get some feedback on some of the more recent and in progress mods. It's been a busy weekend in and under the Expanda. Hopefully I'll have some finished product photos to post up soon.

Reactions: cruza driver