numbez 2014 17.56-2 Expanda Outback

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Well today saw the completion of a couple of projects. One being the installation of a Eberspacher (Dometic) Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater and the other mounting a toolbox to the drawbar.

The diesel heater install started with a lengthy decision on where to firstly place the heater and secondly where to mount the air intake and output vents. The heater location was restricted by where the bottom of the heater would end up and keeping it away from the chassis, water pipes and wires. The decision was made to place it under the front lefthand dining seat.
IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

The air intake and output vents were placed up high enough so the kids don't kick them with their heals. The location should allow the output vents to push the hot air down to the rear of the van easily enough.
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG

Next job took a few hours under the van to locate and install a suitable path for the exhaust to run. It is advised not to run the exhaust towards the annex side of the van and it should also not extend past the outside wall of the van as it runs extremely hot.

The combustion air intake was connection and strapped away from the exhaust.

IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG

I ran the exhaust pipe from the rear of the unit along the floor then under the chassis, back up along the floor to the muffler, ending the tip just above the front drop down jack. A small drain hole was drilled at the lowest point to drain any condensation.

The next job was the dosing pump which must be installed in an upward incline of at least 15 degrees and not more than 35 degrees.

The white fuel line was connected here ensuring it stays well clear of the exhaust. The black fuel line was run back along the chassis and towards the front tool box. Photos of the tool box install will show this.
IMG_0493.JPG

Next job was back in the van and after a lengthly process of removing every switch, vent, appliance, cover, to route the controller lead to the recommended location of 1.5m above floor level to enable a clear reading for the heat sensor. I located this beside the solar panel controller
on the microwave side. This location was selected as I needed a spot where the rear of the controller could be accessed as the lead runs from the rear.
IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

The final job was to run the 12v power. I connected straight to the battery with 6mm auto cable and installed an isolation switch (as an after thought and after a mid-install inspection suggestion by @cruza driver) This will ensure the kids don't fire up the heater by mistake while they are kneeling on the seats pressing and playing with all those tempting (push me, push me) buttons & controllers.

A quick run down on the total time the instal took was probably about 3 half days, most of the time was planning and double checking before drilling obviously. My biggest holdup was installing a front tool box and relocating the gas bottles. I then secured the 10l diesel tank to the rear of the tool box.

I fired up the heater this afternoon and it ran the dosing pump for about 30 seconds, blew some cold air then shut down. It did this twice so I shut it down, checked the fuel connections, saw there was diesel reaching the white fuel line with a fair few air bubbles so this looked promising. I let it rest for 20 minutes fired it up again and away it went, scorching hot air within a minute or so. The combustion air intake is louder than I thought, but still quiet in comparison. There is an optional air silencer which I might try and get my hands on. The unit itself can be heard running but once the seat cushions are back I think this will be minimal (certainly quieter than the overhead electric heater). The exhaust pipe runs hot as would be expected but would be a concern if camping in long dry grass, just something to keep in mind. The unit and exhaust stayed quite hot for 15 - 20 minutes after shut down. So now that the initial testing is complete, time to take it out into the wild for a proper test. If anyone is thinking of completing an install like this, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 435

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
As mentioned I knocked another job/install off the list over the weekend and that was to install a drawbar mounted toolbox. After a ring-around for prices on a custom build I opted for an Apex 2m aluminium checker plate box delivered from Sydney. I decided to relocate the gas bottles back into the centre of the box so strengthened the centre with two lengths of steel angle bolted back onto the existing gas bottle brackets attached to the draw bar. The original bottle holders were used and bolted to the rear and floor of the box
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG

I cut a small vent in to allow the box to breath as the seals are fairly air tight
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

The regulator was relocated inside the box and keeping in mind the height of the regulator should remain higher than the gas bottle outlet I attached it to a small piece of 25mm channel and kept it as high as possible. Its new position is only about 15mm lower than the original position as it turns out.
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG

I lined the bottom with marine carpet to minimise the gear I store in there from sliding around. Its going to be tight but a BabyQ should just fit in either side.

The 10l diesel tank was attached to the rear of the box and sits on the draw bar to assist with the weight. The filler hole can still be accessed while the bed is down or with the tool box lid opened. These 10l tanks are great, they have 2 fuel outlets to allow multiple install options, and are only 80mm wide, so you can squeeze them in tight spots.

IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 274

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After getting the chance to have a grand tour through the mod process of @numbez Expanda all I can say is these new mods have been very well planned out and executed.

I see you mentioned the exhaust for the heater gets quite hot. I would maybe run a heat shield along the underside of the floor where the exhaust runs, as a bit of extra protection with some plate.

Reactions: 17triton

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
After getting the chance to have a grand tour through the mod process of @numbez Expanda all I can say is these new mods have been very well planned out and executed.

I see you mentioned the exhaust for the heater gets quite hot. I would maybe run a heat shield along the underside of the floor where the exhaust runs, as a bit of extra protection with some plate.
Yes, great suggestion actually. I'll be interested to see if the entire pipe gets hot especially past the muffler as this is where it actually touches the floor, which could be an issue.

It doesn't feel quite right hoping for cold weather on the weekend so I can test it out.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Well today saw the completion of a couple of projects. One being the installation of a Eberspacher (Dometic) Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater and the other mounting a toolbox to the drawbar.

The diesel heater install started with a lengthy decision on where to firstly place the heater and secondly where to mount the air intake and output vents. The heater location was restricted by where the bottom of the heater would end up and keeping it away from the chassis, water pipes and wires. The decision was made to place it under the front lefthand dining seat.
View attachment 31449
View attachment 31450

The air intake and output vents were placed up high enough so the kids don't kick them with their heals. The location should allow the output vents to push the hot air down to the rear of the van easily enough.
View attachment 31452 View attachment 31451

Next job took a few hours under the van to locate and install a suitable path for the exhaust to run. It is advised not to run the exhaust towards the annex side of the van and it should also not extend past the outside wall of the van as it runs extremely hot.

View attachment 31456 View attachment 31455 View attachment 31454 View attachment 31453

I ran the exhaust pipe from the rear of the unit along the floor then under the chassis, back up along the floor to the muffler, ending the tip just above the front drop down jack. A small drain hole was drilled at the lowest point to drain any condensation.

The next job was the dosing pump which must be installed in an upward incline of at least 15 degrees and not more than 35 degrees.

The white fuel line was connected here ensuring it stays well clear of the exhaust. The black fuel line was run back along the chassis and towards the front tool box. Photos of the tool box install will show this.
View attachment 31457

Next job was back in the van and after a lengthly process of removing every switch, vent, appliance, cover, to route the controller lead to the recommended location of 1.5m above floor level to enable a clear reading for the heat sensor. I located this beside the solar panel controller
on the microwave side. This location was selected as I needed a spot where the rear of the controller could be accessed as the lead runs from the rear.
View attachment 31458

View attachment 31459

The final job was to run the 12v power. I connected straight to the battery with 6mm auto cable and installed an isolation switch (as an after thought and after a mid-install inspection suggestion by @cruza driver) This will ensure the kids don't fire up the heater by mistake while they are kneeling on the seats pressing and playing with all those tempting (push me, push me) buttons & controllers.

A quick run down on the total time the instal took was probably about 3 half days, most of the time was planning and double checking before drilling obviously. My biggest holdup was installing a front tool box and relocating the gas bottles. I then secured the 10l diesel tank to the rear of the tool box.

I fired up the heater this afternoon and it ran the dosing pump for about 30 seconds, blew some cold air then shut down. It did this twice so I shut it down, checked the fuel connections, saw there was diesel reaching the white fuel line with a fair few air bubbles so this looked promising. I let it rest for 20 minutes fired it up again and away it went, scorching hot air within a minute or so. The combustion air intake is louder than I thought, but still quiet in comparison. There is an optional air silencer which I might try and get my hands on. The unit itself can be heard running but once the seat cushions are back I think this will be minimal (certainly quieter than the overhead electric heater). The exhaust pipe runs hot as would be expected but would be a concern if camping in long dry grass, just something to keep in mind. The unit and exhaust stayed quite hot for 15 - 20 minutes after shut down. So now that the initial testing is complete, time to take it out into the wild for a proper test. If anyone is thinking of completing an install like this, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Great install information there @numbez . I am thinking about putting one of these in. How has it been going thats if you have used it? Any alterations? Cheers.

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Great install information there @numbez . I am thinking about putting one of these in. How has it been going thats if you have used it? Any alterations? Cheers.
Hey @17triton, the heater has been working a treat. We've used it quite a few times now, even if its just to take the chill off the air first thing in the morning. The best feature is the electronic temperature gauge. We just set it to 18 or 20 before bed and it does its thing all night, shutting down when it needs to and fires up accordingly. We are finding it great for the young ones, as our 18 month old has a habit or kicking off the blankets in the early hours and then proceeds to wake up the rest of the campers to voice his concerns about the cold van conditions. Kids sleep right through now! You can get a silencer for the cold air intake I believe. It does sound like a mini jet engine when it is firing up initially, but this is only heard from the outside, can't hear much from in the van. So this would only annoy fellow campers, but saying this is not offensively loud. The only other noise is the dousing pump clicks when it is idling, but usually the heater is working away or shuts down if temperature is reached, so no clicking, again the clicking is not loud at all. If you're tossing up whether to get one or not, do yourself a favour and choose the "get one" option, best addition we've added. I think the -2 degree nights camped on the banks of the Darling sealed the deal for us.

Mick Aplin

Aug 9, 2015
Orange
Great work, thanks for sharing. I have also got the kit form Airtronic D2 Diesel heater and was looking at mounting it in the front tunnel boot.
(only because I was thinking down the centre of the van a17 expanda). What was the reason to put under table? Thanks in advanced.

Reactions: cruza driver

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great work, thanks for sharing. I have also got the kit form Airtronic D2 Diesel heater and was looking at mounting it in the front tunnel boot.
(only because I was thinking down the centre of the van a17 expanda). What was the reason to put under table? Thanks in advanced.
That's a great spot where @numbez has installed it because it is a bit of a pain to access that space compared to the tunnel boot. The tunnel boot is great for all those long items I think. It will heat all the van up wherever you position it.

Reactions: cruza driver

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Hey @Mick Aplin, yes as @17triton mentioned under the table is really a dead storage area, so a perfect spot for the heater. It's a difficult spot to get to and we never used to put anything in there anyway. I originally would have liked to put it under the seat where the battery is located as this is another dead area, but it was going to be a very tight squeeze. The front tunnel boot also has a plastic weather proof liner which you really don't want to cut through.

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney

View attachment 31449
View attachment 31450

View attachment 31456 View attachment 31455 View attachment 31454 View attachment 31453

View attachment 31457

View attachment 31458

View attachment 31459

View attachment 31449
View attachment 31450

View attachment 31457

View attachment 31458

View attachment 31459

Is the hot air outlet any problem coming out under the table next to a leg?