Nissan Navara D40 Towing 17-56.2

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on towing a 17-56.2 with a Nissan Navara D40.

I always thought I would fit a WDH to the hitch but after talking with my Nissan dealer, I have been advised that it is not recommended. I am concerned that the combination may sag at the rear, causing stability and aesthetic issues. Saying that I will not be picking up the Van for around 4 weeks when it arrives at the Jayco dealer, so I can not say first hand. I am just trying to make sure I am 100% ready to go when it does arrive.

I have ordered an extended draw bar with the thought of adding a storage box on the front. (I will need to keep weight to a minimum naturally)

Should I be looking at HD springs etc or will it sit / ride o.k. as standard. I figure someone else out there must be using the same combination so thanks in advance for any feedback and I apologize if this has been covered else ware.

Kev

carts

Jan 12, 2012
I tow a 16 49 1 with a navara with haymen reeece wdh and its a dream ....wouldnt know its on the back sometimes

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi carts. I wanted to fit one but was told by my Nissan dealer that they are not recommended and that I would void warranty if I fitted one. Do you have a Nissan tow bar or an aftermarket. Not sure if it would make any difference to the warranty issue though?

carts

Jan 12, 2012
I have a 2006 factory nissan towbar and pull trailers all year and never had an issue....rated at 3000 kg braked .Think he is teling you porkies

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi maccayak and carts.

I checked the manual and yes it is rated to 3 tonne but that was not my question. I wanted to fit a wdh system was the question. Thanks for your comments though. I noticed that the more tow ball down weight added the less you can load the rear so perhaps that is the answer. Just keep within the tabled weights. A trip to the way bridge will be in order I guess.

I just hope it does not sag in the rear when loaded within its limits.

The manual does state not to use a wdh hitch. I will just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks again.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
I tow a 16 49 1 (OB) with a Nissan Pathfinder and replaced the Nissan tow kit with a Haymen Reese as this allows the use a WDH. As carts states tows like a dream as far as stability is concerned (also use a 50mm block to raise the towing point on the van).
For some reason Nissan has set a 3000 kg towing capacity but do not advise the use of WDH. For single axle this seem stupid (to me anyway) and I would consider that it is because the tow hitch can not take the twist applied by the WDH.

I do not know if the Navara is any different and that the salesperson is mistaken, and do not know the warranty issues associated with Hayman Reese.

The other issue is to talk to 17.56.2 owners as to the need for a WDH for a tandem axle.

Cheers

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Thanks Millers.

I have heard of people swapping over the tow kit with a Haymen Reese version. I think I will wait and see how it goes first, but at least I may have options if it does sag.

Correct me if I am wrong, but while the Pathfinder looks similar, it has independent rear suspension with coil springs does it not? This I am guessing would be a little softer than the Navara leaf spring set up, making the need for a WDH all the more.

I was hoping there were other owners of a D40 with a 17-56.2 that could give me a heads up.

Once again thanks for your comments.

Kev

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have the pathfinder not the D40 and it sags like buggery with a 17, boat and pretty much anything I put on the back of it....

The worst affect is not the sagging, yes it looks funny but the worst of it is that with the back sagging weight is reduced on the front and steering becomes lighter and braking becomes harder to manage.

To correct this I have used a WDH with a hayman reese bar and it has helped immensely.

I know they are different suspensions setups but I would suggest at the least swapping to a Hayman Reese bar as the Nissan bars are not rated for use with a WDH and one has cracked on a Pathy before and as long as you have the hayman bar you can add the WDH as needed.

Some people swear by a WDH and some say there are not worth it and it will certainly generate some differing view points as some people prefer air bags etc etc....

For me in a few different cars towing differing style vans and especially the early and late model pathfinders I can really tell the difference without the WDH and will not travel without one. :)!!!

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Thanks heaps for your comments expanda.

I honestly think I need to go down the WDH route. We have recently sold our Swan OB and found that it sat nicely without a WDH but it only had around 110kg tow ball weight as appose to around 180 tow ball weight on the 17. I will talk with Nissan this week to confirm that swapping to a Hayman bar will allow a WDH and not effect warranty etc.

Honestly this is all a little new to me, as the heaviest thing I had ever towed was the swan. I will be over doubling it with the Expanda and feel a little nervous about it. We will be doing lots of k's in the setup, so with two kids and wife on board I need to be confident. Anything that helps will be money well spent I figure.

Kev

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Miller's,where do get this 50 mm spacers from.please advise anyone also.is it straight bolt in job?

Our pathy does sag in the back as expanda says,airbags coming to correct.

as for d40,I assume you got diesel 2.5,then no probe will power your coming van,should you have 550,then you could pull my van along as yours.Nissan bias I know.cheers.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Pace,

I do have the 2.5 and your comments certainly help reduce my concerns. Do you think it will sag when loaded up and reduce the performance of breaking and steering?

Kev.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
No problems!!!

I know how you feel I had the same sentiments going from a 16 to a 17 and was very worried about the safety of the family.

But as long as you take the time and enjoy the journey you will be fine once you are all setup...

The dual axle is a nice change from a single axle and seems to tow easier than single axle setups.

The only issue I have had is reversing a dual axle can sometimes be tricky when trying to manouver around a tight bend as one wheel will drag and lock whilst the other is spinning :)...

And you are right it is money well spent as when you think about it for a 45k van and a 45k tow vehcile 1.5k on a weight dsitribution hitch and hayman reese bar are a nice security measure if anything.

Nissan will try and get out of it any which way they can though so will interested to hear there responses :)!!!

I have heard the argument of Nissan not warranting WDH on the pathy and really didn't want to get into the argument so just chucked a hayman reese on as they warrant their towbar with their wdh so for me it made perfect sense.

But I can see from your comments and signature yours is still under warranty so will be good to check it out with Nissan first up!.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi Pace,

I do have the 2.5 and your comments certainly help reduce my concerns. Do you think it will sag when loaded up and reduce the performance of breaking and steering?

Kev.

Hey Kev, pretty certain it is going to sag once loaded up :)!!!!

There is no escaping the sag affect, most vechiles suffer it....

I really don't understand how any manufacturer can rate a vehicle to tow 3T + but the rear drops so significantly.

Its just one of those as things I guess as consumer we just put up with and figure out ways to work around the problem by upgrading suspension, adding a WDH and more :)!!!

There is a thread on exploroz with a D40 towing a big rig -

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/88744/leaf_springs_reset_factory_or_aftermarket.aspx

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
From what I've read on other caravanning forums (forii??), the issue is solely with the factory Nissan towbar itself, not specifically the Navara.
My understanding is Nissan don't recommend the usage of a WDH simply because they haven't engineered nor tested their towbar with one.
There are some reports (taken with a grain of salt) of factory Nissan towbars shearing off under load with a WDH fitted...

To avoid those issues many have replaced the factory bat with a Hayman Reese bar which is engineered for a WDH and also uses different mounting points.
Send a PM to stuartcarr2002 on here. He works for a Nissan dealer and will have every bit of info you need.

Personally, I'd be ditching the Nissan bar and going straight to a HR bar and using a WDH with it.
Once that's done and you have the van, then look at some type of airbag system, if needed.

Cheers,
Matty

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Thanks heaps again Expanda,

I have just spoken with the Jayco dealer and they suggested that the Nissan tow bar is exactly the same as the Hayman Bar just badged differently (not sure if that is true though). They suggested that they have fitted heaps of them to the Nissan bar and never herd of a problem. They quoted me $750 installed and suggested to asses and get it done on the day of pick up if needed. I might contact Hayman Reese to see if they have any comments to back the dealers comments up.

I dropped the D40 off 10 min ago for its 30k service and spent a bit of time with the dealer discussing the issue. He said that lots of D40's come in with a WDH and probably don't even no that they have voided their warranty. I questioned if I changed to a Hayman Bar with a WDH would that fix the warranty issue and he said no. The problem is not only with the bar itself but the chassis also. He said that he had seen the earlier versions crack but suggested that Nissan had made some changes since.

If I had to guess, I would say that the only vehicles having issues would be either abused or used at their extreme limits. I do not think I will have an issue as I only plan to stay on road or at the very most dirt road with the van on and will ensure that I stay within the charted capacity. At the end of the day I would rather have the vehicle braking and steering correctly than worry about a warrenty issue.

The other issue I have with the whole setup with stresses on the chassis is that a WDH should in fact reduce the stress. I own a mechanical engineering business and doing some initial calculations it will certainly not hinder the chassis. It effectivly reduces the bending moment at the spring connection mounts as well as the stress on the bolted connection for the tow bar (where the chassis has potential to crack). It does however increase the stress on the bar itself (not the connection) and the A frame of the Van. That being said, the van must be designed with a WDH in mind and if the bar is exactly the same as a Hayman bar, then it should accept the added stress also.

I am going to go with the WHD and have it fitted on the day I pick up the van. I will leave the Nissan Bar on unless there is a difference in strength between it and a Haman Bar. I will let you know how my research on comparing the two bars goes.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Matty 4,

Thanks for your comments and you are correct. I just contacted HR and they advised that while they do manufacture the Nissan branded tow bar, it is not there design. Nissan have designed there own Bar and simply get HR to manufacture. The HR bar is definitely warranted with a WDH and provided I stay within the rated loads, their is no issue with the chassis.

At the end of the day, I need to buy the WDH system anyway, so for an extra $750 I would be crazy not to get a Bar designed to do the Job along with it.

Thanks everyone for the help.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Feldty, I own a 2006 Navara 3.0L fitted with a Nissan tow bar. While my 14' wont have a ball weight or tare like your 17', I have a HR WDH fitted. I have had heavier duty springs fitted to the Nav which has raised it by around 60mm but there is little or no sag in the rear end with the WDH fitted, in fact the van still wants to drag its bum a bit as the ball is still too high, and I am still looking at alteratives the the HR setup. But we have covered around 30,000km with the van on the back including 3 months touring WA with no problems with the Nissan bar. I don't think you will either.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Chartrock,

Thanks for your comments. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and order a HR Bar. I will be getting this fitted hopefully in the next 2 weeks (pending stock) ready for the new van. I will then get Jayco to fit the WDH upon pickup. Others on this site have convinced me that I need a WDH and if nothing else just to put my mind at ease. Is your Nav a D22 or a D40. I have not heard any issues with the Bar on the D22 so yours may have been designed with the WDH in mind.

I must say that the local Nissan dealer was relieved when I ordered the HR bar as he had personally seen the Nissan bars Crack.

I ended up going around in one big circle, but at the end of the day, I will be more comfortable towing the unit with the correct setup and I do not need to concern myself with warranty / insurance issues if anything does go astray. I will be a little out of my comfort zone towing the larger van anyway.

First big trip is to the Sunshine Coast in October. Will be around 4000Km so I hope to give it a good test out with some local trips before we head to Queensland so I can get used to the combination.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help.