Nissan Navara D40 Towing 17-56.2

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Well..... Had my HR tow bar fitted this morning. While I understand the legality issues and the need for a stamp to o.k. fitment with a WDH (which I now have), I am a little annoyed that the new bar is 100% identical to the bar I just had removed. There is not 1 difference in appearance. The only thing that may be different would be the grade of material used to manufacture.

Anyway, for piece of mind I guess it is worth it, but I am struggling to convince my self. $750 would have bought an awesome draw bar box.

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
I have towed a 17,56,1 with a d40 navara and a wdh no problem so far done about 6000km towing ,didnt know there could be a problem with a Nissan bar ,better find out about to upgrade a full van 2600kgs and tow around Australia .is the tow bar the problem or the car

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi salsimo,
After some research it appears that it comes down to the Nissan warranty. The Nissan bar is not rated with a wdh but the hr bar is. Talking to hr they have told me that there is no problem with their branded bar and that there would be no warranty or insurance issues. As mentioned above the two bars are identical in appearance but may be made with different material.
For me the peice of mind and insurance / warranty issues were enough for me to upgrade. Good luck!

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Miller's,where do get this 50 mm spacers from.please advise anyone also.is it straight bolt in job?

Our pathy does sag in the back as expanda says,airbags coming to correct.

as for d40,I assume you got diesel 2.5,then no probe will power your coming van,should you have 550,then you could pull my van along as yours.Nissan bias I know.cheers.

Pace,

Sorry I did not notice the question. I picked up the spacer from a local caravan place in Gawler. I believe that they are readily available. It is a staight bolt in job, but you may need to modify the handbrake as it loops underneath the mounting plate, so when you add the spacer it interferes with the handbrake lever. See picture.

Expanda Changes 004.JPG

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi Feldty, how'd you go with the towing setup on your D40 + 17.56-2OB?

Have you had a chance to do some trips and make adjustments out for the best drive setup?

I have the same vehicle and van coming soon... so going thru the same motions with WDH and towing setup now.

Have you got any photos you can post of your van hitched up shown the setup and ground clearance?

Do you have issues with ground clearance at WDH?
Did you put in a 50mm spacer under the hitch?
Are you still running standard suspension in the Nav?
Did you look at eazlift?

Any other tips will be appreciated.

I have ordered simplicity suspension and 16" wheel so I'm told van ride height, and weight, will be increased a little more too....

Merry xmas, Cheers Ligedy

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
Hi feldty,
Ive got a 2012 d40 navara stx with canopy got a Haymen reesce bar No wdh have pedders poly bags i run 10psi towing and not towing all the time and the nav sits dead level. It towed awesome at any speed would not even condsider wdh. we did 4000klm trip melb to queensland no issues.
cheers Andrew

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Dazz,

I do not have the 550, only the 140 Kw 4 Cylinder version. That being said, it pulls my 17.56-2 van without an issue. Went over Kosiosco from Tumit to Merimbula last weekend and never once thought I needed more power. It worked hard though as you would expect.
I fitted a HR Bar c.w WDH and it seems to work well. Now towed our van for roughly 10,000km without a problem.
The only issue I have with the Nav is with the space in the back seats for the kids. I am not sure how much room you need but with too growing boys in the back we are starting to find it very tight. I suspect that a trade in will be necessary within the next 12 - 18 months to a vehicle with more leg room.

Kev

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
Hi Andrew,

Your ST-X, is it a 550? If so how do you find it? It's on my short list along with the BT-50
dazz
yer dazz have the 550 but there are three different levels have entry level with cloth seats dont need all the bells and whistle's.So glad i chose it For towing it has more grunt then you need that's was my main reason for buying it.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi Andrew,

Your ST-X, is it a 550? If so how do you find it? It's on my short list along with the BT-50
dazz
Hi Dazz, I have the 550 with premium pack and in its class it is the best tow vehicle by an absolute mile. The grunt of the V6 is one thing, but the 7 speed auto is what makes it. I have the 17.56.1 and when you have a down hill you just flick it across to Sports mode and underload it will down shift automatically. Saves the brakes, and makes towing the van effortlessly, on the flat stuff, in Drive with the cruise set on 105 it sits on 1800rpm in top gear.
Sorry for the waffle, but as you can tell I rate this ute as a tow vehicle, although I am new to caravan towing, I've been towing heavy race boats around the country for 12 years and this is by far the best I've ever had.
Cheers Aaron

Reactions: Xpandafan

franko

Jun 1, 2014
Sydney, Northern Beaches
I tow our 17.58/3 outback with a 2012 D40 st Navara auto with the standard hitch. Suspension is standard and found it only dropped a small amount in the rear. It towed really well I could pick the speed I wanted but easily did the limit on the freeways. I did need to flip the hitch over so that it was more suitable to the van itself though.

lee

Dec 5, 2013
Victoria
Just wondering can anyone tell me the tow ball weight for 2011 Nissan navara STX 6 speed manual? My mate Has a 2 inch lift kit on it and he is looking at buy a our back jayco starcraft 1342.2 full load with a load extra on ,with a ball weigh empty 212 kg just wondering if it will sag in the rear

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Should be on a compliance plate under the bonnet or on a door panel......even written in the cars glove box manual.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
All D40s are 300kg max ball weight, and 950kg payload, but there is a bit of a hidden trap with Navaras.

The cars maximum payload reduces when the actual weight on the ball is 300kg. ie if actual ball weight from the van is 300kg, the cars rated payload is reduced by 410kg to 560kg, almost half its rated non towing payload capacity. An actual ball weight of 200kg will reduced the cars payload by 280kg, to 670kg. Navaras are notoriously soft in the bum, and will sag over time carrying groceries, but with a lift kit and heavy duty springs he should fine.

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol