16' Series New van and a little confused

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
Picked up the van this morning a 2009 16.49.3 from and a chap which has just come into health issues and no longer could use the van, my problem is that I couldn't get him to show me how anything worked and am now totally confused regarding water pump and hws.I filled the water tanks, ran a lead to the van, switched the hws outside to on and then head inside to turn the pump switch under the seat on and the pump runs straight away does not stop and water pours out of the water hose connection outside.so I tried connecting mains water which obviously stops the pouring water and pump runs on and off as you use the tap but then how do I get pressure when not connected to mains?

Hope someone can help as iv been worried all day that something is wrong.

Cheers
Nick

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Sounds like the one way pressure valve may be faulty. Others here will provide some more detail and we will all be happy to do a virtual handover for you so post any other questions away.
Make sure the hot water service is full before you turn it on.

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
Sounds like the one way pressure valve may be faulty. Others here will provide some more detail and we will all be happy to do a virtual handover for you so post any other questions away.
Make sure the hot water service is full before you turn it on.

How do i see if it is full or not

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
To be sure run your hot water tap with the unit switched off and the mains pressure hooked up.
If you aren't sure when it was last done, it may be worth replacing the anode too. Cheap hot water system corrosion insurance for about $25.

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
There is one more thing, the van has travelled approx 3000km since new with the original tyres, my concern is that the van being 2009 and the tyres sitting in one spot for years should i replace them even though they are as new?

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Some thing I came across was that tyres can split and crack after five years due to normal rubber breakdown process, and that tyre manufacture date there tyres.
If your van is 2009 , tyres would hopefully be 2009 , but in some cases whether it be old stock, using up bulk orders etc older dated tyres are used, this can be checked.
You are looking for a four digit number ie 3209 this means 32 week of 2009.
For me , I keep an eye on dates now when purchasing.
physically check tyres , including the inner sidewall which is not often looked at, and get the most you can out of them, IMO

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
When buying a second hand van best to put it in to have a full service and they will check everything. Worth the money. We did that with our first van a Jayco Freedom.

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
You are right jennymay I booked the van into the workshop 2 days after I got it but first available is next thursday which is 2 days before we head on a 1 week trip.
Capt.gadget I also have the 16.49.3 so I will have a look tomorrow, thankyou.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Sorry @NickM87 I may have lead you astray at a second look I think the fitting in the cupboard is just a reducer the non-return/ pressure reducing valve is actually under the van

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Patons

Jun 10, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD
@Capt. Gadget can I ask do both your kids still go away camping? The 16.49-3 has expanding bed both ends? Does one of the kids sleep on the converted dinette? I don't mind this model we have 2 kids 10 & 5 they would kick each other too much sleeping together just don't know how much of a pain it would be setting up the dinette as a bed each night? :)

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
@Patons We are starting to find that our kids are losing interest in coming away with us and now more so its just my Daughter that comes, but when they both do they sleep in their Oztent 30 sec tents, if we are travelling and have overnight stops then yes one sleeps in one end and the other on the converted Dinette, Its not too much of a hassle to set up just a nuisance having that extra cushion kicking around for the rest of the holiday

Reactions: Patons

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@Capt. Gadget can I ask do both your kids still go away camping? The 16.49-3 has expanding bed both ends? Does one of the kids sleep on the converted dinette? I don't mind this model we have 2 kids 10 & 5 they would kick each other too much sleeping together just don't know how much of a pain it would be setting up the dinette as a bed each night? :)

The back bed is the bigger bed if you go for this model, and is quite a good size imo.

@NickM87 great model van let us know what you think after your trip how you went.

Reactions: Patons

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
2014-07-04 21.43.04.jpg
Well got the van back from the repairers today, got the service done and a lift done as it was a little to low (now im in trouble because we need a step) all packed and ready to head off in the morning Dongara tomorrow for a night stopover then head to kalbarri for 5 nights.Cant wait for the first night in our new van.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had the same model previously (But earlier version with the soft lid). You'll be surprised with the amount of room in it even with the kids.

Couldn't pick a better choice for a shakedown trip (Kalbarri).... Enjoy the first trip and hope to see some pics ;)