17' Series New Expanda Family

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
@TheExpendables,

From one newbie to another hey!!

We had to start completely from scratch for everything camping/caravan related. You already must have some equipment I would assume. With that said, once I detailed a list of what was needed I done plenty of on-line shopping and review reading. It is surprising how much the main camping stores vary in price from 1 week to the next, one chair at Rays outdoors was $159 yet at Anaconda it was $79. Rather than rush out and get things I would watch them for a few weeks and when a bargain came up from one of the stores I went and got it, that way I knew I had a good deal.

Something to consider, I have a Weber baby Q and needed a new hose to fit the external bayonet, what will you be using?

Make sure you use a proper water hose and not a garden hose for filling the tank, (water filters are available from Bunnings for $29 for when you need to replace the new one). You can buy the hose from Bunnings also. Once you have the hose then think about cutting it to different lengths for different scenarios, that way you don't have 20m of hose sitting on the floor for a tap that 3m away.

Have a think about how you will store things. If you are getting a full annex they can take up lots of room and are heavy. Ours go between the rear dinette seats just over the axle.

I wanted to be as safe on the road as possible for my family and other road users and bought a weight distribution hitch from Hayman Reece. What vehicle will you be using to tow? I read up in detail regarding GVM ATM etc etc. (this can get very complicating but handy to understand)

What accessories are you changing/buying for the van so I can let know you what we bought and where from if that helps?

As an example I looked at many camping shops for cutlery for the kids and could not believe the price, then someone mentioned IKEA. They have the plastic cutlery sets for $1.99 for 4 of everything, bought a few packs of these along with matching plates and bowl sets. It is perfect and light for the kids to use.

Consider investing in the canvas bed end covers, they are expensive but have so many benefits, no one wants a damp pillow when they go to bed. They also stop the canvas from getting wet so when you are packing to go home they will be dry meaning you don't have to dry them out at home.

Also the best thing we done was set it up in the garden for the kids to get use to the novelty and get it out of their system before we went to a van park, this really helped with our 2 yr old who was in to every nook and cranny.

You must have a lot going through your mind, probably best to just throw it out there on this post and see what happens. Happy to help out where I can and point you in the right direction.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
How awesome cant wait myself, looking forward to seeing a Touring.
Where did you get it from? Were you happy with the costumer service? Can you share the price? If not that cool.

We're about to upgrade soon and think 18 or 17 with the just about the same extra. I've seen and heard good things about Newcastle Jayco and I'm happy to drive that far.

Jayco Nowra I wont go to went twice a few months back and not once did a sales person come to us. Even went to spare parts centre and got no help they walked straight pass me. So all the stuff I had, i picked up put on the counter and walked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I've seen and heard things about Newcastle Jayco and I'm happy to drive that far.

We purchased our van from Jayco Sydney, but their service is terrible, would never go back.

My cousin has bought 2 vans from Newcastle, and they rave about the service, so we went up there recently to look at a trade in from the Expanda to a Silverline. The guys were really good, and up front about trading vs selling privately.

We haven't done anything yet, but my dealings with them so far have been 1000% better than Sydney.

I have also driven down to Queanbeyan to get my bed end flys, and the guys there seem pretty good as well.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
How awesome cant wait myself, looking forward to seeing a Touring.
Where did you get it from? Were you happy with the costumer service? Can you share the price? If not that cool.

We're about to upgrade soon and think 18 or 17 with the just about the same extra. I've seen and heard things about Newcastle Jayco and I'm happy to drive that far.

Jayco Nowra I wont go to went twice a few months back and not once did a sales person come to us. Even went to spare parts centre and got no help walked straight pass. So all the stuff I had picked up I put on the counter and walked out.

Hey @caax we purchased from Jayco Sydney and we worked with Shannon on the deal. From a sales perspective, I would have to say top marks - wasn't pushy, happy to talk through what we needed and answer every inane question that we had. We changed our minds on the van a couple of times and they were happy to accommodate.

Pricing was over $40k which included :

Jayco Expanda Touring (Dual Axle) 17.56-1

- Additional Double Power Point (Internal)
- Mud Flaps
- Storm Covers (Both Ends)
- Gas Bottle x 2
- Gas Bayonet Fitting
- Stereo - Fusion Basic Package
- TV - 19" LCD TV/DVD & Bracket
- TV Aerial (Wyngaurd)
- Walter Filtration to Sink
- Cabinet Shelves to Robes
- A-Frame Increase 300mm
- Axle Underslung
- AusWide Canvas Annexe
- Battery - 100amp Kit & Box
- Letto (Backs) & Access Tweed (Bums)
- Elvis Curtains
- Furlo Benchtop

We went with this setup because we have two kids and figured the bunk and beds combo would handle whatever we throw at it now and in the future. We also liked that the interior of the van was a little linear if that makes sense - makes it feel a little more spacious inside. A couple of eating areas will be good when the kids want to colour in, play a game etc.

Extra gas bottle as we do a bit of Webber BBQ work, storm covers (after reading comments on this forum), all other stuff pretty standard.

We're due for delivery in November, still waiting on a date.

Overall experience is good, the Jayco website is well laid out, interactive and easy to use. They do need to do a better job of taking the offline experience online (e.g. track your van build, view your added extras, purchase spare parts, download your contract, make payment etc).

Cannot comment on service experience yet but if it were poor, I'd have no trouble going to Newcastle.

Outside of this we've grabbed a couple of things of ebay - annex flooring, security stuff, carbon monoxide detector.

Hope that helps a little. Happy to answer other questions if you have them.

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
That's an awesome deal sound to good. I'll take the same.

We currently have a 14 and was prefect when the kids were little and the bunk setup. It's time for something larger now with more space and like you said that extra eating area (homework) will be very handy.
When we get ours I was planing to place a extra curtain across (width) from bunks to Toilet in the 18 and the same in the 17 bunks to kitchen. No across the beds it will give you a more opened feel when sleep in the bunks
Extra external lights, one near the front for BBQ and 2 on the opposite side at either end for those late check-ins.
Cant wait to place our order now.

A question what is Axle Underslung?

Thanks for the feed back champion mate

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
We purchased our van from Jayco Sydney, but their service is terrible, would never go back.

My cousin has bought 2 vans from Newcastle, and they rave about the service, so we went up there recently to look at a trade in from the Expanda to a Silverline. The guys were really good, and up front about trading vs selling privately.

We haven't done anything yet, but my dealings with them so far have been 1000% better than Sydney.

I have also driven down to Queanbeyan to get my bed end flys, and the guys there seem pretty good as well.

So Private is the way to go when selling? Guessing it's just the car yards give you next to nothing for your trade in.

Reactions: bigcol
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
Thanks @warren cook some solid advice in there!

We're waiting until the panda arrives to really kit out what we need, only the basics though as coming from a tent camping background, I know what it's like to step over stuff that you just don't need (which you have to pack and un-pack only to pack and un-pack again!).

Good tip on the Weber, we have one at home connected to the bottle - so we will definitely need something to connect to the bayonet.

With the annex we're only ever going to take that for extended trips, it'll likely live in the back of the SUV when we're on the move. Our initial tow will be a Toyota Kluger which will be at its limits. We're due to cycle out the lease just after Christmas, so we will be going for something more powerful thereafter.

I popped a summary of accessories in for @caax which is pretty much all that we've added in terms of accessories - gotta keep that weight down! The wife has already dragged me to Ikea, so a few goodies from those guys will make it into the van.

But thanks again for the feedback, so awesome to get these great insights from those in the know!

Reactions: Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
something I have always said, and mentioned, and talked about

if in doubt - weight everything that goes into the Van
you will be pleasantly surprised at how quick your allowable weight will disappear

also, until new-er vehicle is arranged, think about...........
sleeping bags v's sheets & blankets / doona's
4 x dinner plates
4 x sandwich plates
4 x breakfast bowles
4 x drinking cups
4 x coffee cups
4 x knives / forks / spoons etc

keep to the barest minimum of what you need, until you work out what you will use

I also say that to load the Van, put one of those sticker dots on everything
after 2 trips - if it still has a dot on it, remove from Van never to return, as you dont use it

***Edit after spelling mistake***

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
Thanks @bigcol, mentioned the sticker idea to the wife and she thought I'd look funny with a dot on my forehead for a week. There's also a big chance I might not make the cut for the next trip! Just kidding, great idea - we're going to keep it pretty skinny initially and until the second tow has some guts ...

Last edited:

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
something I have always said, and mentioned, and talked about

if in doubt - weight everything that goes into the Van
you will be pleasantly surprised at how quick your allowable weight will disappear

also, until new-er vehicle is arranged, think about...........
sleeping bags v's sheets & blankets / doona's
4 x dinner plates
4 x sandwich plates
4 x breakfast bowels
4 x drinking cups
4 x coffee cups
4 x knives / forks / spoons etc

keep to the barest minimum of what you need, until you work out what you will use

I also say that to load the Van, put one of those sticker dots on everything
after 2 trips - if it still has a dot on it, remove from Van never to return, as you dont use it
Hehe had a chuckle with your spelling @bigcol