bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
some spelling mistakes have been reported to the

spelling swastika.png

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Thanks @warren cook some solid advice in there!

We're waiting until the panda arrives to really kit out what we need, only the basics though as coming from a tent camping background, I know what it's like to step over stuff that you just don't need (which you have to pack and un-pack only to pack and un-pack again!).

Good tip on the Weber, we have one at home connected to the bottle - so we will definitely need something to connect to the bayonet.

With the annex we're only ever going to take that for extended trips, it'll likely live in the back of the SUV when we're on the move. Our initial tow will be a Toyota Kluger which will be at its limits. We're due to cycle out the lease just after Christmas, so we will be going for something more powerful thereafter.

I popped a summary of accessories in for @caax which is pretty much all that we've added in terms of accessories - gotta keep that weight down! The wife has already dragged me to Ikea, so a few goodies from those guys will make it into the van.

But thanks again for the feedback, so awesome to get these great insights from those in the know!

@TheExpandables

Sounds like your on top of things matey,

The connector you need for the Weber is a 3/8 SAE hose (without regulator), find your local Weber supplier and just decide on the length you need, they come in 1.5, 2 or 3 meter lengths, ranging from $40-75 estimate.

Good choice with the storm covers, gives the feel of a little more privacy.

Have a look at getting an app on your phone that gives you the direction of local antenna stations, or just see what way every else is facing.

Let me know what vehicle you are considering and I may be able to help, I run a large multi franchise dealership in western Sydney and I will be able to point you in the right direction to save you $$$$. You will be surprised at how the prices will vary from one dealer to another due to running a different business model.

Have you started planning your first trip away?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Let me know what vehicle you are considering and I may be able to help, I run a large multi franchise dealership in western Sydney and I will be able to point you in the right direction to save you $$$$. You will be surprised at how the prices will vary from one dealer to another due to running a different business model.

very interesting
except I'm in Wait Awhile....................

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@warren cook thanks mate, I am definitely going to be getting a connector for the Weber (much appreciated as I hadn't thought of it). Would have been quite the sight, standing there with a plate of snags and the wife looking at me while I figured how to get the gas going ;)

I am thinking of spraying the storm covers with something like Waproo which should provide a little extra water run-off from the covers. I've been reading quite a bit about how water can channel with the ends popped out, so going to have to keep an eye on all that at the first drop of rain.

Do you have an antenna app you'd recommend? There are a couple of free ones vs. paid ones - so I'd be interested to hear if you have used one that is the goods.

I'll definitelty reach out when it gets time to change over, you guys represent some strong brands that have decent tow capabilities!

First trip is going to be to Narrabeen, so nothing major - just an easy ride for the rookies to keep it nice and safe ;)

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
very interesting
except I'm in Wait Awhile....................

@bigcol

That's cool, I can still help you with what is a good deal and what is not, nothing beats a bit of insider trading advice hey!!!!

Even though I have been In the car industry for 20+ years, buying the caravan gave me a good in site in to what my customers must go through when buying their new vehicle. The biggest thing that was on my mind was am I getting a good deal and who do I trust along the way. So If I can help anyone out moving forward with advice then I will be happy too (might be my contribution to this forum). Please let me also point out that I am not a motor enthusiast nor a mechanic so I will never get into any technical discussions about what is better for who and why. If someone is having technical problems with a vehicle and the brand falls into my category I can always try and get answers for them.

I know you are in WA, but nothing beats a good road trip when you pick up your new car!!!!!

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
@warren cook thanks mate, I am definitely going to be getting a connector for the Weber (much appreciated as I hadn't thought of it). Would have been quite the sight, standing there with a plate of snags and the wife looking at me while I figured how to get the gas going ;)

I am thinking of spraying the storm covers with something like Waproo which should provide a little extra water run-off from the covers. I've been reading quite a bit about how water can channel with the ends popped out, so going to have to keep an eye on all that at the first drop of rain.

Do you have an antenna app you'd recommend? There are a couple of free ones vs. paid ones - so I'd be interested to hear if you have used one that is the goods.

I'll definitelty reach out when it gets time to change over, you guys represent some strong brands that have decent tow capabilities!

First trip is going to be to Narrabeen, so nothing major - just an easy ride for the rookies to keep it nice and safe ;)

Would have been quite the sight, standing there with a plate of snags and the wife looking at me while I figured how to get the gas going ;)

Bet you still would have had a beer in your hand while you were thinking o the solution:) Take away anyone???

The problem with the water pooling I believe was on the earlier hard lid models, they now have a lip in place to stop the water falling through the gap, this only affects the original bed ends as it use to sit on the top and create a pool on the roof of the canvas.

With the storm covers they now have a strap that goes under the corners and pulls the side walls tight which keeps the water running off perfectly, I think the issues were around the covers with no straps and this allowed the wind to blow the bottom of the side walls into the bed area thus creating a pool at the bottom and around the edge oft he lid. Spraying them is still a must, it keeps them supple, should protect against UV rays and should dispel any dirty rain from staining the fabric over time. ( I am going to use some stuff we have lying around at work that is for the cars, should do the same job)

I use Antenna Mate, cant remember if it was free or not but helped me out on my first trip, I also checked to see what way others were facing, and just hoped that if everyone followed this strategy that the first guy got it right.

Narrabeen is a good spot and must be semi local seeing as its in Sydney, always handy if you forget something as well. The only draw back is they do not have a swimming pool for kids although they do have a water park for them to play and stay cool. Have you been to any of the other Big4 parks within a couple of hours of Sydney when you were tenting? We have stayed at a few so happy to comment on them, we have to really think about the kids when we go away so we can keep them occupied other wise it can very easily turn into hard work.

Happy to help anytime with advice when you buy your next car, just contact me when ready and we can take it offline as its quite a personal discussion.

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@warren cook haha thanks mate, it would have definitely been a 2 or 3 stubbie job working that out ;)

Thanks for the tips on the water pooling, I'd originally though of scotchguarding the seats etc inside and then figured it would be handy on the storm covers too. Sounds like they've dealt with the water pooling, so a little extra help from the scotchguard might do the trick - I'll do a little sample spot first to make sure it doesn't do any damage.

Antenna Mate was the one I was looking at, it's $4.99 so looks the goods.

We've been to a few Big4's north and south but never really all that far from Sydney. We're really looking forward to venturing further now given we won't be in a potentially wet canvas tent ;) Speaking of wet weather plan, I am checking out adding a media play to the TV so I can pipe in some movies we have for the kids on an external hard drive. I'll pop anything I come up with in an existing thread (if there is one) to help other folks out.

I'll definitely give you a shout on the two front once we get to that stage! Thanks again.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
@TheExpandables

Sounds like your on top of things matey,

The connector you need for the Weber is a 3/8 SAE hose (without regulator), find your local Weber supplier and just decide on the length you need, they come in 1.5, 2 or 3 meter lengths, ranging from $40-75 estimate.

Good choice with the storm covers, gives the feel of a little more privacy.

Have a look at getting an app on your phone that gives you the direction of local antenna stations, or just see what way every else is facing.

Have you started planning your first trip away?

Hey,

Update on the hose connector, the Gas shop gave me the wrong one, didn't find out until I was away and went to connect it for the first time. Should have done it at home first in hindsight. They have said for me to go back and take the BBQ with me so they can match it up.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie