MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I now know the underside of my Grand Cherokee very well after spending at least 4hours removing all the bash plates and cleaning the underside.
Mud was everywhere. Won't be drowning it in mud again too quckly.:doh:

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
hahaha, I thought you were keen to take such a nice car in the mud :(

I saw two of these on the road to work this morning next to each other and they are nice rigs, still prefer my troll for serious offroad, but as a tourer, reckon these are a great choice.

How are your plastic and trim after you offroad venture ? any damage ?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Peer pressure, I was trying to keep up with two Land Rover Defenders, and they led me astray.

Not too bad. Got some minor scuffs, but it's just the black plastic (not painted) so with some Armorall can't really notice. Also got some scratching to the wheels, from the ruts.
Wouldn't want to take an GC Overland out like that as they have all painted wheel arches and lower trim which would be a lot more noticeable.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
In answer to an earlier question asked about fuel economy, my trip report here gives the final reading of 13.5l/100km after almost 3400km on our outback Queensland trip (Approximately 2200km was towing our large 2675kg van).
No issues to report and a great vehicle fitted with Quadralift and a Redarc brake controller which I actually quite like despite the need to readjust it depending upon the driving conditions (I have towed extensively with a proportional controller too).
Cheers
Andrew
PS: Picture added just because I like it!
IMG_5081.JPG

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Well it's got another oil leak.
Any CRD owners, I'd suggest looking under your car around the sump area.

"You bought a Jeep?"
"No I bought a Leak"

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Took mine in for a look at a few small issue I have had. Just over 3k on the clock.
Rattle in steering - lose uni joint, wasn't going to come off I was told but still Sánchez had not done bolt up.
Pulls left since new - wheel alignment done and corrected
Noisy rear self levelling shocks - service guy told me that they have been instructed not to order new ones as a warranty claim unless the unit is leaking. The problem is known and they are looking at what they need to do to fix. He also mention that it may not be the shock but where the shock is mounted. I told him that a knew the problem existed and it was well known and that I couldn't believe that it still hasn't been resolved on a 2014 built car. He just look at me with those eyes that say I have heard it a 100 times before.
So all in all no real issues that couldn't be fix straight away other than the bloody noisy self levelling shocks.

We have also decided on a name for our GC, Sánchez, as that was most likely the name of the blokes who built most of the parts.
Should say built in Mexico, assembly in USA ;)

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Neil the bloody rattler shockies are made in Germany my friend and I am gobsmacked they still rattle in the MT14's as I was let to believe they were a different unit. I have looked at after market shockies but if you change to aftermarket the towing capacity drops to 2500Kg. Not sure about the Mexican level of bits either, there would be some for sure just as commodores have heaps of chinese parts but with an Italian engine and a German gearbox the main things should be okay? We still love ours even with the rattles and I'm sure we will find more after the trip to the corner lol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My 2.7 CRD Grand (first registered Jul05) is still going strong, 230,000K after 9 yrs, no dramas with it and is a great tow rig, probably go another few 100,000k's..........maintained by me so I know what gets done. Returns 12.3l/100k towing at speed a little less being sedate. Lots of mentions about the shockie rattles on AJOR so it's not an isolated issue.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
My Grand 2012 also had the rattles in the shockies and these were replaced without issue. It is a known problem, and I think you just need to force the issue with the dealer.

When I had mine changed, I asked what the price was per shock, and the reply was $1000 each. I suspect that might be reason for the dealers unwillingness to do anything about it. My advice is keep pushing a bit harder. If you need to contact Jeep HQ and complain to have your dealer address the problem then so be it.

Lastly I regularly keep tabs on things regarding technical service bulletins and recalls etc, go to http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm which is regularly updated and also explains exactly the procedure(s) the mechanic needs to follow to resolve the problem. Its a great source of information. I hope this helps.

Reactions: cruza driver

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The Jeep again performed flawlessly in harsh conditions. Ice and snow all over the road and didn't even feel like it wanted to slip. I've got the Michelin Latitude tires that come with the ORII pack and they worked fine. The 'Wet Seat' covers and rubber slush mats got a good work out. She was pretty filthy by the end of the week. Has since been restored to her former glory. Absolutely love this car!
Screenshot_2014-07-21-07-59-55.png

20140717_095037.jpg