17' Series Maiden Voyage Over -Yes Im Back! :) - Very Important Notice The Van failed Registration!!

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Having owned a Flamingo from new I'll have a bit of an idea of scrutiny when picking up our new 17.56.

The 12v socket in our Flamingo was wired up using 240v cable......

Tell me about the 3 tanks, were they fitted at factory or dealer and I suggested Jayco cap my ATM at 2500 however the salesman said they can't. I'm driving a '12 Prado, he suggested don't tow with the water tanks full and have it weighed at a weigh bridge before the trip :-/

Reactions: Mat

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Hi Racer
Your dealer is not telling the truth. Our dealer has not only capped our caravan weight at 2500kg to go in line with our pajero, he has given us an extra plate with the full load rated for future use should we change cars. Also gave us weigh bridge certificates for both in case rego office needs them. I would push your dealer on this issue.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Hi Racer
Your dealer is not telling the truth. Our dealer has not only capped our caravan weight at 2500kg to go in line with our pajero, he has given us an extra plate with the full load rated for future use should we change cars. Also gave us weigh bridge certificates for both in case rego office needs them. I would push your dealer on this issue.

Thanks for that @Petecaz I will be pushing this problem. Just need some supporting documents!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Interesting about the safety chain rating.

I just checked mine, and there is no rating on the chain, only the AS number

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Hi Stephen sorry to clutter your thread but I cant see how to PM you.
It will be regoed in Vic by the dealer in my name but under a Vic friends address, will this be a simple process of transferring that you refered to??
Did you bring yours across on a permit?
Thanks Shane

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
I had to send My original Vin back I must admit they got it back to me really fast.

Diagree Yeah I had to go out and buy one of those Butane soldering Irons :) wanted one forever :) Now I have one I can take away. I have three Soldering Irons now A 240 crap one a great soldering station for my hobby work ( it wasnt leaving the shed) and now a little Butane beauty its awesome and act as a blower as well for heat shrink and I can torcher the kids wit the naked flame option :)

Racer two of the tanks would have been fitted at factory one was fitted by the dealer. All vans with a shower/toilet have two tanks.

I found my little circuit boards (Luckily I hadn't cleaned up and thrown in the bin) and solded new wires onto them reinstalled now everything there working well so its back to just tidying everything up as I cut a lot of cable ties off and sorting the brake lines out.

Theres no way fitted from factory they would ever be a good thing .Even the connectors aren't wrapped in tape so stones would mash them, But way to short I am going to run from the brakes along to the inside of the suspension and cable tie it to the suspension then up to chassis with 12" at least of loose cable and then put split conduit around the lot. This was really shonky and from jayco.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Hi Shane its a simple process as its already regoed yoy may need to take it over the pits though I cant remember I dont think so if its still in license? My camper had run out and I was a naughty boy and still had NSW plates on for 3 years so had to take it over pits to get WA plate to sell. And my Van I bought across on a 28 day permit the longest you can get. In regards to taking over the pits there are centers every where and all they really check is the plates match the chains and the brakes and lights work. They also measure the van and thats it. They dont need gas certificates or anything in WA!!!

Bellbirdweb those numbers on the chain also give the rating if the last two are 25 its 2.5t, 35 = 3.5t

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Ok Guys a quick Question on what this is ? it connects to the Breakaway brakes battery box and im not sure if it for charging the battery or not? If so do you just use a wall charger that fits the plug My 12v tv one fits? Or is it for something else?
2014-08-03 14.47.47.jpg

brakes are done and seem to work well, I jacked the wheels up and have a bit more movement there all protected with conduit and all connections heat shrunk to keep water out. A major improvement on what was there well hopefully last a bit longer :) Should have it licensed this week . Heaps to do before Warroora St end of Sept anyone else heading north WA?? Had an epiphany this morning in regards to mounting the spare wheel on the back. Sad i know that ones dreams are reduced to making don't be rude for a van What happened to dreamin about beer and naked women :):):):) Front Box There are good ideas on this page probably go with around a 1200x500x500 box with bottles on the outside but I may go full width and sit bottles inside will see what's around. .

Reactions: skippy

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Stephen Galvin
Can't help with the plug (Might have to lift the seat and see if we have one).... If you go the full width box and put the gas bottles in it don't forget to put some vents in it.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle

Sorry to hijack but I too have been tidying up what Jayco call wiring.
In this shot from DRW I see the factory wiring. The guy I brought my van from had already made some changes, the fridge on its own Anderson plug. I'm I correct in assuming that the pink/white wires shown in the shot would normally connect to the fridge wiring and the other black/white wires are connected to the balance of the van wiring.
Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@Neil Thats a dogs breakfast!!! A bit like my wiring behind the Drifter. I cant answer your question but there looks to be dodgy don't be rude there with both Negative and positive in the same connector!! Really jayco needs to be taken to Task over this BS there is no need for it and it lets them down bigtime . Whoever is there electrical engineer and supervisor needs the Boot!! Honestly it is such a bullshit crap Quality and there is no reason for it!! And dont ask me what I really think :)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree about the dogs breakfast wiring @Stephen Galvin . Can't answer your question either @Neil without tracing each cable to see where it goes to.

One thing I can answer is the one regarding the negative and positive (red/black) cables connected...... You'll find that the original wiring for the setec unit and fridge is based on USA standards (IE: White for Negative and Black for Positive?????) Trust me as I found out the hard way when wiring the last vans fridge to anderson plug... Black to Black and Red to White :o. Finally worked out why I was blowing fuses LOL.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Agree about the dogs breakfast wiring @Stephen Galvin . Can't answer your question either @Neil without tracing each cable to see where it goes to.

One thing I can answer is the one regarding the negative and positive (red/black) cables connected...... You'll find that the original wiring for the setec unit and fridge is based on USA standards (IE: White for Negative and Black for Positive?????) Trust me as I found out the hard way when wiring the last vans fridge to anderson plug... Black to Black and Red to White :o. Finally worked out why I was blowing fuses LOL.
Trust me Dagree we have all been there blowing fuses :biggrin-new::bounce:

Reactions: dagree

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Ok Guys a quick Question on what this is ? it connects to the Breakaway brakes battery box and im not sure if it for charging the battery or not? If so do you just use a wall charger that fits the plug My 12v tv one fits? Or is it for something else?View attachment 24437

brakes are done and seem to work well, I jacked the wheels up and have a bit more movement there all protected with conduit and all connections heat shrunk to keep water out. A major improvement on what was there well hopefully last a bit longer :) Should have it licensed this week . Heaps to do before Warroora St end of Sept anyone else heading north WA?? Had an epiphany this morning in regards to mounting the spare wheel on the back. Sad i know that ones dreams are reduced to making **** for a van What happened to dreamin about beer and naked women :):):):) Front Box There are good ideas on this page probably go with around a 1200x500x500 box with bottles on the outside but I may go full width and sit bottles inside will see what's around. .

Warroora station.... That my one of the best camping spots in WA and been there many times.

As for that pug on the break away what modal is it? I have a charger for mine but the two leads of have ring terminals on the end that screw on to the brake away. I am thinking that the plug must be for a new style of charger instead of the old screw on leads.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@diagree In regards to Wiring thanks for that . Thing is We dont live in the USA and we have Australian standards!! How hard is to at least label don't be rude even if it makes it easier for warranty repairs!. Alos it built to a Price does not mean it should be done like this . If any car had this wiring it would be shelved!!..

@skippy Awesome spot only got a few fish but a good feed and fresh is best :) That lead is a charge lead The battery was flat when I checked night before and used my handheld UHF radio charger to charge it and worked fine. Akk good in the morning. Check out some of the pics on my other blog and the hill we took the van down and out again handled like a dream with tyres down.

Reactions: dagree and skippy

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
@Neil Thats a dogs breakfast!!! A bit like my wiring behind the Drifter. I cant answer your question but there looks to be dodgy **** there with both Negative and positive in the same connector!! Really jayco needs to be taken to Task over this BS there is no need for it and it lets them down bigtime . Whoever is there electrical engineer and supervisor needs the Boot!! Honestly it is such a bullshit crap Quality and there is no reason for it!! And dont ask me what I really think :)

Thanks for the response guys. It's actually not my van it's from the previous page but my van was not much different.
I understand the trailer white earth bit that and worked it all out when I rewired mine and added the 12 pin plug to the van/car.
Once again sorry for the hijack, Cheers Neil

Reactions: skippy and dagree