LEDs

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
OK i have received and tried the leds i can tell i got two types the warm white version and the cool white i think the warm white ones are better for me they seem i a lot softer anyway that's what i think

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi ants, not much of a saving going from fluro to led. Just better light when first turned on, fluro's take time to warm up. Some LEDs have better output now as well. Should get better life from LED's as well. Fluros are around 9-10,000hrs ( though some special fluros are now long life), LEDs are typically around 50,000hrs.

Jas

Hey Jas
Thanks for that. It is something I had been wondering. I have in the past also looked at the brightgreen LEDS and thought that these looked quite good. As the fluros die, i think i will replace with these but not sure if they will fit under my light covers at this point in time :(

I still have all the original incandescent bulbs to put back in if we decide to move. Something i read years ago, you spend all this money on high quality bulbs that have such long lifespans, take them with you. :)

Cheers
Antman

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Ants, don't know about the fluro's, your doing well with the power bills though. Wait till little Lucy starts leaving the lights on and having long showers! :D

Cheers.

Hey Burnsy

Yeah mate, its one thing we have always worked on is power usage and water conservation. Having lived on acreage where we needed to be semi self sufficient makes you really think about what is on and off. One thing that we have learnt recently (in QLD not sure about other states) is regarding the night rate electric hot water tariff. If the energy companies have an excess on power on the grid, they will push electricity to your hot water system during the day. You don't need this power as your tank should keep your service hot during that time. Origin said quote "But we still only charge you the night rate" well in my books thats not good enough. We don't want the energy pushed during the day for something that we don't need. Saves $20 - $50 per bill (1/4) if you turn your hot water off at the power box when you go to work in the morning if this is occurring.

Lonski

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
Guys - have a plan to run some LED strip lighting just under the awning of the basestation to provide some decent outdoor lighting and some bling. The strip lights are 12v - plan is to dial into the current exterior light wiring so when you turn that on - the strip lights will also come on - are all the Jayco LED lights 12v?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Guys - have a plan to run some LED strip lighting just under the awning of the basestation to provide some decent outdoor lighting and some bling. The strip lights are 12v - plan is to dial into the current exterior light wiring so when you turn that on - the strip lights will also come on - are all the Jayco LED lights 12v?
Yes

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I put some led strip lighting in on the weekend. I fitted an extra Jayco light switch and ran the power to the strip lighting. It is so much better than the original outdoor light. Much whiter and brighter. I have a poptop so probably and bit different than a basestation but same principle.
IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG IMG_2939.JPG
While I was at it I ran a new 12 volt line to a few 12 volt outlets and USB's. Sick of chargers everywhere. The lights are not seen when in use, you just see a nice reflected glow the reflects up and off the poptop canvas. I also was worried that if I put them up high, the weight of them and poor adhesive on them, they might fall off and drag down the road. Works very well and when I close the poptop the leds are covered by the roof so hopefully water will not be an issue. We had some heavy rain recently and it remained dry as a bone. Family likes it.

Cheers Geoff

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnsy

Lonski

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
I put some led strip lighting in on the weekend. I fitted an extra Jayco light switch and ran the power to the strip lighting. It is so much better than the original outdoor light. Much whiter and brighter. I have a poptop so probably and bit different than a basestation but same principle.
View attachment 19234 View attachment 19235 View attachment 19236
While I was at it I ran a new 12 volt line to a few 12 volt outlets and USB's. Sick of chargers everywhere. The lights are not seen when in use, you just see a nice reflected glow the reflects up and off the poptop canvas. I also was worried that if I put them up high, the weight of them and poor adhesive on them, they might fall off and drag down the road. Works very well and when I close the poptop the leds are covered by the roof so hopefully water will not be an issue. We had some heavy rain recently and it remained dry as a bone. Family likes it.

Cheers Geoff
Looks good Geoff, nice idea with the USB sockets too, we are off for a couple of weeks for our maiden voyage this Sat and i will see how things go, will likely have a crack at the sockets when i get back.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi All,
We've got the 18.57-6 and I want to put an LED strip under the awning as well, I would like to replace the double switch just inside the door with a triple switch. I have taken off the front plate and switch to sus things out and there is a black duct or channel inside the wall cavity that appears to run up towards the outside speaker with the two light cables in it. Does anyone know if this channel is accessible by removing the outside speaker? My reason for asking is this would be an ideal route for the switch cable for the LED Strip. Thanks

Dave

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
You Champion - is exactly what i am doing atm - good post and nice pics. What i have been looking for is some trunking to hide/protect the wiring from the LED strip to the existing light.

Hi Lonski,

Bunnings has a good variety of ducting ranging from 16 x 10, 16 x 16, 25 x 16, 25 x 25 & 50 x 25, prices range from about $9 to $18 per 4M length.

Dave