LEDs

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi guys.

This is not really caravan related but thought it's something you all may want to consider.

After converting my Expanda lights over to LED I was really impressed with just how much less power I was saving.

I thought if I can do this to my caravan, is it possible to do this with my house and get the same sort of savings.

So once again I jumped on ebay and had a little look around and see what I found.

I`ve since converted every light in my house to LED and have now seen a significant drop in my power bill.
Click on links below.

Screw in LED light bulbs.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-240V...ans&hash=item1e717fe594&_uhb=1#ht_5292wt_1006

Bayonet LED light bulbs.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/B22-5-5W...t=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item43aef01e95&_uhb=1

Small lamp screw in LED light bulbs
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E14-Pure...t=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item460934022b&_uhb=1

Down Lights LED
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10x-Dimm...Fans&hash=item43b4ba713e&_uhb=1#ht_6598wt_882

Fourescent type Lights 120cm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-LED-...lbs&hash=item43b0abfb08&_uhb=1#ht_2189wt_1170
How much was the impact on yur bill?

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Leesy.

My power consumption went down by 30%, but my bill went down by 20%.

My previous bill was $500 {same time last year}. My bill this time was $400.

In saying that, the actual rate per kilowatt has increased since then, so my bill would have been more than $500 this time.

BURNSY. I found that the original lights I put up with around 100 leds on them were very similar to the old 60 watt light globes. I think the ones you`ve looked at my be a little dim.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The issue with the house replacement ones are the heatsinks and drivers.

Doing a straight swap of downlight types often results in flickering as the transformers aren't suitable for LED. The older style iron core or magnetic ones don't tend to have this problem, but the government is trying to phase them out, (like the old std light bulb, and now halogen lamps) and use more power themselves than the electronic ones do. Ideally you need to buy a new transformer too.
The 240v types have insufficient heat sinks and are tending to fail after only a few years, rather than the suggested 50000 hrs. Thus the replacement cost can even start outweighing the energy saving cost.

I've being testing quite a few of the cheaper one to recommend to clients, but overall unimpressed in the long term. In my own house, so far I still prefer compact fluros, and haven't changed to led......
(I'm an building energy efficiency / sustainability consultant :D)

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hiya Dingo.

Thanks for the feedback.

I opted not to use the 12 volt led down lights. I removed all transformers and used 240v down lights {GU10 fittings}. I had to replace the transformers with the GU10 sockets to get them running on 240.

I`ve purchased the cree branded led lights and haven`t had any fail yet.

See links below.

240Volt LED Downlights.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-x-GU10...ans&hash=item35bf6ad7ca&_uhb=1#ht_3652wt_1077

GU10 Sockets
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-GU1...Fans&hash=item3f171a8c01&_uhb=1#ht_2926wt_996

Savings have already paid for around 12 lights.

I really dislike the compact flouros as I believe they are the most dangerous, containing lead, mercury and other contaminants. In my opionion they take too long to light up. Sometimes a few minutes before they become bright which is annoying if you only want to turn a light on to get something quickly.

LEDs on the other hand are bright instantly, contain no mercury or other contaminants, and still use alot less power than these so called energy saving lights which I found fail more often than the previous incandescent.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Don't misunderstand me, I was a little flip in my comment.

yeah there are pros and cons to them all. In CFL, yes there is mercury which becomes a vapor if the glass breaks, don't know about lead tho. They do take a few seconds to warm up - only about 10 in the ones I have, so hasn't bothered me.
The GU10s can fall in the same issues with the other 240V one - the heat sinks are too small. They will work, and can be for quite a while, but won't be 50000 hrs - more likely less than 5000. Whilst they save energy, and I do support their use for that reason, they will be replaced sooner than expected.
We do look at a number of factors including the heath risk, power use, recycling, change over costs (inc an electrician's fees if necessary, and safe proper disposal of old globes), and embodied energy in production and transport etc etc

In *my* house, I have not been impressed enough to retro fit them as yet. And have not actively encouraged others to either with any specific type/brand etc etc etc. However, I keep testing different ones and have a couple of local suppliers that I do refer clients to to make their own decision.
In new house/office builds, then I certainly specify them outright.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
Been through the cfl phase, from purely a light output point of view, they are not bad new, but go off the boil quickly, take a long time to warm up. Not a fan. All now replaced with LED.
Straydingo has a valid point re cheap LED's, they can fail prematurely, the heat sink is critical, I have first hand experience. I am in the electrical industry, and it pays to buy quality, and straydingo is also right about the correct driver gives problem free and longer life LED's.
There are quality ones out there, have done heaps of tests on different brands, have settled on one brand, Brightgreen D900. They are the closest thing to a halogen around, I have no affiliation whatsoever. Actually work in the food and beverage industry. They have a 5 year replacement warranty, and have replaced all my house halogens 1:1. We also now use them at work.
My two bobs worth.
Give these a go straydingo I guarantee you will love em.

Jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Holdenman.

Probably late advice but make sure you put a blob of silicon on the lights to help the double sided tape keep hold. All my lights dropped as the heat from the panel made the tape lose its grip and fall down. I bought some good 3M double sided tape from Bunnings and it eventually did the same.

My mate did the same but used silicon and his are still attached. I opted to change my lights back to LED plug in globes to prevent this ever happening. I wasn`t a fan of the tiny little wires that sometimes had bad connections and made the light go out too. Always jiggling them to get the light going I found annoying.

Hi coastrunner,
Thanks for the heads up re silicon, yep too late, but I'm now ready for when it does happen. I thought the connections are a bit dodgy also, I can sort that though, nothing a good soldering iron can't overcome. Thanks for the tip.

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the tip Coastrunner, I've only ordered 2 to try out as I thought it would be a bit of trial and error. I agree with the energy saving ones, they do take too long to fully light up.
I have been using MR16 12V LED for my outside lights under the eaves which are on a sensor. While they say not suitable for 12v ac I havn't had any problems yet, not to say that I won't and maybe I will need to change tranny to 12v dc (suitable for led) but the LEDs are cheap enough.

Hi SD, interesting reading your findings, I've noticed they do recommend on the sites for longer life not to run more than 16hrs constant, probably involves the heatsink as you said. At this stage I'm experimenting with cheap LEDs, and if they work and last a couple of years then it's viable, I won't pay $20 a globe. In saying that technology will only improve and LEDs will get cheaper....maybe one day we can buy them for under $5ea in Australia.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi HM, just read your last post, I guess I'll find out about the cheapies, don't want to pay too much yet, like I said maybe they have some time to go before the 240v LEDs become reliable and cheap.

Cheers.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi burnsy, I certainly understand the idea of going the cheapies, and they may work out perfectly well. I wanted to get halogen like light output with as close to the halogen colour, 3000-4000k. Most, but not all, of the cheapies won't match halogen Lumen ouput. But to lots of people that doesn't matter.
I wanted to replace 1:1, and from a legal point of view I can change the whole fitting with out going to jail. If I had to get a sparky in to change whole fittings it would certainly make the led option less viable, and I would be putting in the cheapies as well, so completely understand.
One other tip for all, watch out for the Telly, my 50 inch plasma was costing me a fortune in power $300-350/year, i know this for fact, put a true power meter on it, new LED tv $80/year. So spoke to the boss and got a new Telly, didn't tell her we could just watch less tv....:becky:

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice one HM, re the Telly. Our 50" plasma is about 8 years old and 500watts, maybe I could try the same tactic! :D

Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
seems this thread has merged to house power saving options... does anyone know if changing your fluro bulbs to LEDs in your house will save much money? We are pretty thrifty with our power bills and have only last bill gone over the $300 mark with the price increases. So not sure if they would give us much benefit or not?

cheers
Ants

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi ants, not much of a saving going from fluro to led. Just better light when first turned on, fluro's take time to warm up. Some LEDs have better output now as well. Should get better life from LED's as well. Fluros are around 9-10,000hrs ( though some special fluros are now long life), LEDs are typically around 50,000hrs.

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Ants, don't know about the fluro's, your doing well with the power bills though. Wait till little Lucy starts leaving the lights on and having long showers! :D

Cheers.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi guys.

I`ve recently changed over my fluros with the same fitting LED tubes.

The difference?

A regular 120cm fluro uses 36 watts

A regular LED T8 tube {120cm with same connection} uses 18 Watts.

To add, the LED tube is actually brighter than the single fluro, and doesn`t require a starter.

I think I could replace 2 x fluros with a single led tube and get the same light.

They also turn on instantly, no blinking no starters to change over either.

You actually have to remove the starter when fitting the led.