Latest Gadget

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I just used sikaflex with plastic mounts. It's nevers coming off.. I think sikaflex 252 is the best one to use, at least from my reading..

The wires will stop the panel bouncing down the road:ohwell: By the way, very informative post and it's good you inluded the links. I might do something similar. Do you have pic's of your battery set up.

Geoff

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
There is advantages and dis-advantages for Both- From my opinion:- (and this list is not exhaustive.)
Portable:
Advantages
- you can aim more directly at the sun, hence more efficient.
- Van can be in the shade, whilst panel is in the Sun.
- You could charge some one elses Van easily
- Less initial setup.

Dis-Advantage
- can be stolen if left unattended
- has to be packed up and stored each time, Size constraint / storage room in Van.
- voltage drop of cabling required losses efficiency
- Possibility of breaking panels whilst in transit / setup
- Time taken to setup each time.

Fixed Solar Panel
Advantages
- Larger Panels can be fitted due due stored on the roof.
- Little chance of breakage due to fixing to solid roof. (i.e tripping over, etc)
- No setup required at each stop / location.
- Charging Battery whilst on the road / stopped for lunch (Very beneficial in my opinion

Disadvantage
- Extra weight on roof
- Initial Setup costs / time. (good fun fitting though)
- Reduced effectiveness during winter due to panel being flat on roof / not at optimum angle.

For me, I chose a 36V panel to reduce the losses from the roof to the battery. Due to the voltage of the Panel, I therefore had to use a MPPT, which in my opinion is not a bad solution.
The higher voltage panels can also be generally found cheaper than the 12V.

If you plan to use the panel in warmer conditions, it's important to ensure there is good air circulation under the panel (i.e like the plastic mounts) to ensure the optimum efficiency of the panels. If they get hot, they become less efficient.

Good luck with the hunt, and let me know if I can offer any of my experience in the setup and operation.

Cheers ;-)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi Cruza
Just Sikaflexed to the roof but screwed to the panel

Thanks CG, plenty of useful info in your thread mate its very informative:clap2:

Shadow you raised one of my main concerns which is panel security. I know some people use a security cable to lock them up but we often leave the Expanda when out exploring and knowing the panels are out would be in the back of my mind.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
There is advantages and dis-advantages for Both- From my opinion:- (and this list is not exhaustive.)
Portable:
Advantages
- you can aim more directly at the sun, hence more efficient.
- Van can be in the shade, whilst panel is in the Sun.
- You could charge some one elses Van easily
- Less initial setup.

Dis-Advantage
- can be stolen if left unattended
- has to be packed up and stored each time, Size constraint / storage room in Van.
- voltage drop of cabling required losses efficiency
- Possibility of breaking panels whilst in transit / setup
- Time taken to setup each time.

Fixed Solar Panel
Advantages
- Larger Panels can be fitted due due stored on the roof.
- Little chance of breakage due to fixing to solid roof. (i.e tripping over, etc)
- No setup required at each stop / location.
- Charging Battery whilst on the road / stopped for lunch (Very beneficial in my opinion

Disadvantage
- Extra weight on roof
- Initial Setup costs / time. (good fun fitting though)
- Reduced effectiveness during winter due to panel being flat on roof / not at optimum angle.

For me, I chose a 36V panel to reduce the losses from the roof to the battery. Due to the voltage of the Panel, I therefore had to use a MPPT, which in my opinion is not a bad solution.
The higher voltage panels can also be generally found cheaper than the 12V.

If you plan to use the panel in warmer conditions, it's important to ensure there is good air circulation under the panel (i.e like the plastic mounts) to ensure the optimum efficiency of the panels. If they get hot, they become less efficient.

Good luck with the hunt, and let me know if I can offer any of my experience in the setup and operation.

Cheers ;-)

Thanks Shadow the big winners for my decision was not having another thing to setup/pack-up and charging while driving down the road
Cheers Grant