Latest Gadget

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I think this may qualify as a Girl Gadget must admit I am proud of the Missus for this one though

P3220061.jpg

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Top idea Cap'n Gadget. How have you attached it to the shower wall and has it stood the test of travel? Every suction/self adhesive device we have used in our 17.56.2OB shower fails dismally.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* they are great, we got ours from Bunning's and used silicone as well as the self adhesive pads that came with it, we also use a suction cup toilet roll holder on the wall.

DSCN8444 (Small).JPG

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Wado Same as Stone Stomper ours came from Bunnings and is stuck with the Silicone & Double sided Tape . I have been putting up signs for one of our local sign writers for a few years now and have used this method with great success, The tape holds it long enough for the silicone to set . The Suction Cup Dunny roll holder is from Camec so I'm hoping it's of reasonable quality!

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Top idea Cap'n Gadget. How have you attached it to the shower wall and has it stood the test of travel? Every suction/self adhesive device we have used in our 17.56.2OB shower fails dismally.

Just an update the Camec Dunny Roll holder hung onto the wall quite well Stuck like the Proverbial.....to a Blanket you could say! :laugh:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* they are great, we got ours from Bunning's and used silicone as well as the self adhesive pads that came with it, we also use a suction cup toilet roll holder on the wall.

View attachment 6968

Bunnings ran out of that when I went.... but they had chrome instead... looks shmick!!

Couple of Mods planned/half done:

2 X 10W LED flood lights mounted to the awning arms.
~~ Have wired them to the outside light and have plugs mounted undeneath that plug into the light leads. The brackets (now painted white) remain on the awning and I put the lights on when needed.
I will take photos this weekend when camping~~

Here's my favorite...

Have you got a stereo installed in your expanda??? you would have noticed when playing sound through your external speakers that you can't change songs with the remote unless you open the door.
for $22 delivered, you can buy a 12v IR extender that i will mount just behind the fridge vents so I can change songs or turn the music up without having to stick my arm inside the expanda.

This thing is going to send me broke!!!

Reactions: bootie66

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
What else to do on a day off in the middle of the week (after the Anzac parade of course....and the Footy ) but finish off the DVD/Speaker install!
Sony MEX DV1700u Car DVD player http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150771993366#ht_3750wt_922
and some Pioneer 80w 6 x 9's that I won at an auction at our Golf Club for $40 6 months ago I knew I could find a home for them! The DVD player is hooked up to the TV so thats one less thing I need to bring away (need something to keep the Kids out of my hair) It plays from iPods and just about anything else
Just need to add a switch to be able to completely shut the power off to it when not in use and an antenna for the radio side of it
The other gadgets in the cupboard are a 150w Pure sine wave inverter to power the TV when in the bush and a 12 outlet for the inverter it also has a couple of USB ports on it for charging the phones etc.
IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Well finally found a minute or two to get the Solar in
Heres a couple of Pics please ignore the copious amounts of silicone on the roof it is a Jayco after all

IMG_0525.JPG
I wanted to mount the panel as central as possible so that the extra weight (15kg) was even when lifting the roof, and I wanted the cables to run down in one of the pockets inside the van so
running them across the roof and sticking them down with silicone was the only option

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0514.JPG
Ran the cables in the overhead cupboards and cable tied them to the other cables that were there

IMG_0520.JPG
The regulator with an isolation switch fitted in the cupboard above the HWS all the cables have been run in the cavity behind the cupboard and under the seat where I have fitted a 30 amp circuit breaker and then hooked up to the battery. Just Have to park it in the Sun now and see what happens!

We were up at Dowerin for the field days today and McHitch had a stand there so I bit the Bullet and bought one $295 for the 3.5T easy fit caravan kit.
I will update after the weekend as to just how "easy fit" it is . I figure I can sell the trigg hitch and recoup a few $$
Going over to Guilderton Caravan park next weekend to play with a few of the new toys before our week away on the School holidays to Lake Towerinning (like I need an excuse to go somewhere in the xPanda)

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
Well done Captain.Where You nervous drilling the roof.I am going to do the same but drilling the roof and possibly hitting existing wiring is a concern.Did You secure the panel with sika ? cheers,Gavin.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Burnsy The Mounting kit came from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110864172575#ht_895wt_1144 they were delivered very quickly but i think I saw them a few $$ cheaper somewhere else when looking for some cable can't remember where though!

Gavin I'm getting braver and braver the more holes I drill in it , if you pull off the light on the ceiling and gently tug on on the wires you can be reasonably sure that they will be in a straight line from where they enter the roof and you should be able to miss them when drilling (well fingers crossed anyway) and yes I used the Sikaflex pro to stick them to the roof I figured the pro which is more flexible would be the better option as being it might be subjected to the odd trip or two bouncing down a corrugated road

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks very neat CG :thumb:

So are the holders for the solar panel are just sikaflexed to the roof? I have been deciding which way to go with solar panels also. I cant decide whether to mount them on the roof or just have a portable?

I like the idea of the panels on the roof as its one less thing to cart around. Decision decisions :juggle:
It would be good to hear what you think of the new hitch too.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sorry CG, I also should have asked what size panel is that and if you don't mind what did you pay? Weren't you going with the D250s reg?

Cheers.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
just watch out for cockys having the cables exposed they love distroying anything and everything ive even had to put conduit around the wyngard aerial wires ....

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Burnsy
I did toy with the idea of a Portable panel but yes as you mentioned the big decider was one less thing to set up and it can be charging the battery as I drive down the road
Here's the Shopping List as you may notice I'm a big fan of eBay a necessity when you live a small country town

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330767130873#ht_3851wt_1144 200w Monocrystalline Solar Panel $269 + $79 Freight $348
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360352427029#ht_3425wt_1378 20amp Solar Regulator $109
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110864172575#ht_895wt_1144 ABS Solar Mounting Blocks $135
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110832732510#ht_945wt_1144 Solar Panel Entry Block $ 30
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390452004921#ht_1707wt_1314 Isolation Switch $14.95 +$5.95 Postage $ 20.90
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290760870763#ht_814wt_1144 8m of 6mm2 Solar Cable $ 38.15
and a circuit breaker and some 6mm Twin cable from Autopro @ $30 I think $ 30
Tube of Sikaflex Pro $ 18.12
S/S Self tapping screws $ 10
Grand Total $739.17

Glad I worked all that out because a Mate asked me how much it had all cost me and I had no idea

Nearly as bad as me sitting at our campsite one day quite few years back and realising that I'd spent $1100 on an Engel fridge and $1100 on a Honda Genny to keep a $30 Block of Beer cold .....ahhhh the fun of camping!