Jockey Wheel replacement (It wasn't my fault...)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Well, it was bound to happen one day...
I currently own 5 trailers and have been using them for work and recreation for many years.
This week, for the first time ever, I left the jockey wheel on and shot down the driveway. Crash.

I pulled over to find the Expanda's jockey wheel and fittings on the road. In my hast to move the van (I had to get another trailer out from behind it) I had wound up the wheel but not removed it from the brace. It bottomed out on the driveway and left a nice gouge to remind me forever.

My reason for posting this embarassing story (apart from providing you all with a laugh) is to see if anyone has tips on replacement.
I am keen to just get a bolt on for now, but I suspect I may struggle due to the size of drawbar steel (130x50)

Any tips? Anyone know where I can get a 130mm swing up wheel and bracket similar to this?
product250_394.jpg

Looks like these standard ARK ones are for 100mm drawbars

Jayco is out of the question as they are booked 'till next year. Local trailer place is an obvious solution I guess but it's more time lost...

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Gday mate,

ouch, very easy to do mate so dont feel too bad. i went the Ark site and got the part number then went to my local Bunnings and had them put an order in, arrived a week later. Good quality.

I think the problem will be the drawbar size.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Bummer!!! @relgate I think you'll find it more of a common story than you might think. I haven't done it, but I did do this...I brought something very similar from Repco (Trojan Brand I think!) and bolted it onto the trailer...went down the drive and snapped the handles off >:(!!

When you swing them up, the handles swings down to face the ground. So be careful, you may need to secure it somehow.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Bugger, my brother in law did that with his camper trailer. So I assume the bracket thats welded onto the A frame is stuffed? Worst case take it to a workshop and get them to grind off the old one and weld on a new one, touch up with galmet and bob's your uncle....or in my case my father! :)

Reactions: blacky

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Oops, silly thing to do! Not to worry, I've done it too! I have gone for a trailermate jack over a jockey wheel, the hydraulic jack is easier than winding up and down.

Reactions: Burnsy

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Bugger! easy done I guess especially if just movig it around, cant be botthered to take it off,

It's amazing how many trailers i see going down the road with the jockey wheels still attached in the vertical position, just waiting to go "BANG"

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks guys for your support. I think the best way is as Burnsy says, take it to a shop and get it done properly.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yeah @relgate your not Robinson Crusoe there mate I got lazy 0ne day with the old van just moving it in the yard and ended up ploughing the driveway crossover oops. Only wrecked the tyre and bent where the axle goes through so an easy fix. Flatspotted the tyre quick though:doh:.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeah @relgate your not Robinson Crusoe there mate I got lazy 0ne day with the old van just moving it in the yard and ended up ploughing the driveway crossover oops. Only wrecked the tyre and bent where the axle goes through so an easy fix. Flatspotted the tyre quick though:doh:.

You know how to make a guy feel good again...

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Just wondering if you looked at different styles of jockey wheel before going back to the original?
I am finding the clasp that holds the jockey wheel is starting to get sloppy. If I ever replaced the clasp I think I would investigate other options.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Has anyone put a swing up jockey wheel on the Panda when you have a WDH fitted to the a frame.
I miss the swing up wheel i used to have on the Eagle...

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Just wondering if you looked at different styles of jockey wheel before going back to the original?
I am finding the clasp that holds the jockey wheel is starting to get sloppy. If I ever replaced the clasp I think I would investigate other options.

I'm still thinking a bolt on 8 inch swing arm. I'm currently using a trolley jack. It's not much fun.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
If I left mine down and stuffed it (sorry relgate :)) I'd be looking at the trailermate jack as crackacoldie said. My mate has one.....very impressive!