Just Browsing Jayco bed end covers

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Hi everyone, I know this would of been covered 100's of times, but just bought some Jayco bed end covers and would like some tips on fitting them, ie what size rivets you used and location of press studs. I have a 2013 17.56. I have been supplied some little straps and some press studs with dodgy looking screws, so before I break out the tools I thought I'd better ask. Cheers.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@GUlewis the link that @burnsie put above gives a link to our mods and includes basic instructions and pics of the fitment of our bed ends..... One thing to bear in mind is throw away the screws they supply and get some good quality stainless ones.

I also replaced the press studs with better quality stainless marine press studs due to the supplied ones unclipping with wind.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @GUlewis If you're northern suburbs way at all feel free to send a private message for address and pop in to see how ours were fitted! (Just realised you're in Perth as well)

KBerg Rig

Apr 13, 2013
Hello All, is anyone else disappointed at the poor fit of the Jayco weatherproof bed ends? They are just too short length wise. First I rang Jayco head office, I might as well have been talking Swahili, they directed me locally (Perth) and they sent me some extension straps (weren't originally included) but they still don't fit like they should. For $660 odd bucks (pair) I'm agast at how poor they've gone about this. The press studs are rubbish the screws have rusted inside 4 weeks, 1 of the 4 common lengths of sail track wasn't the same and I had to trim it, It just isn't good enough. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not paying the extra $300 and getting the Holiday Annexes version, anyone looking at this purchase heed this advice. With a little bit of thought this could have been done properly. The first rule of copying something is to do it better, not make it worse. I'm going to take this up with Jayco doubt I'll get anywhere but I'll feel better about venting. If anyone has any advice on where to direct my disgust to jayco please let me know.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I must be one of the few that were lucky enough to get a pair of the jayco bed end covers that actualy fitted @KBerg Rig . @bigcol had issues with his after he fitted them but from memory sorted them out with an extension piece and some velcro. Will let him reply with what he actually did.

Agree with you regarding the quality of the press studs and supplied screws. I changed the press studs with marine grade ones and used stainless screws to suit. As for the sail tracks they are supplied oversized and need trimming to suit. Just a pity Jayco didn't provide instructions!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hi @KBerg Rig , yes I had many a hair pulling moment with fitting mine - from the 1st batch that were offered for sale

1) no instructions
2) no idea on where or how to fit
3) no one at Jayco seemed to know how they fitted
4) Chinese cannot translate millimeters to inches or inches to millimeters
5) crappy screws
6) crappy press studs
7) the whole thing seemed too short overall
8) you have to set the length of the channel to suit your fitting

fixes..............
1) guesstimation and trial and lots of errors
2) guesstimation and trial and lots of errors
3) Useless sods
4) Useless sods
5) replaced (as per @dagree advice) with quality Stainless Steel ones
6) replaced (as per @dagree advice) with quality Stainless Steel ones
7) some modifications on mine
8) lazy shytes for not getting it right 1st time

as there is no instructions, and no-one at Perth Jayco had actually fitted them (at that time), it was guesstimation time
with mine, I fitted the sail track to the edge of the lid
lucky I only put 3 pop rivets in on all sides, as it came off several times to be trimmed & then trimmed again - have since seen it fitted on the INside edge of the lid - mucho betterer I think (looks anyway)
when I could trim it no more - it was then time to realise that the whole lot was 10mm short either side......
looking at it, they had cut the "cord" too short, and sewed the ends there..... shorter than needed - see n#4
I had to "up pick" the sewing on the ends of the "cord", to gain about 7mm
it fitted
it was tight
and the wind would blow and unhook the press studs
soooooooooo
sitting there thinking
I took them to my friends at Hayway Hire & Camping (Gt Northern Hwy Midland) - Blatant plug I know, but they are great people - anyho, they sewed some Velcro onto the edges, and I again removed the press studs, glued the other side of the Velcro on, then re-attached the press studs

that sodding thing "Aint gunna move in ANY wind"

other option was to soak them for a day or two - roll them out on the lawn, attach bricks to one end, and try and stretch the fabric while wet......... couldn't work out how to get tension on the brick less end - so gave that thought away as a bad joke.........

as said @KBerg Rig time and patience (and I am not known for either) will get it done, one of the things about them being $300.00 cheaper than Holiday Annexes - and you STILL have to fit them yourself.........

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
hi @KBerg Rig , yes I had many a hair pulling moment with fitting mine - from the 1st batch that were offered for sale

1) no instructions
2) no idea on where or how to fit
3) no one at Jayco seemed to know how they fitted
4) Chinese cannot translate millimeters to inches or inches to millimeters
5) crappy screws
6) crappy press studs
7) the whole thing seemed too short overall
8) you have to set the length of the channel to suit your fitting

fixes..............
1) guesstimation and trial and lots of errors
2) guesstimation and trial and lots of errors
3) Useless sods
4) Useless sods
5) replaced (as per @dagree advice) with quality Stainless Steel ones
6) replaced (as per @dagree advice) with quality Stainless Steel ones
7) some modifications on mine
8) lazy shytes for not getting it right 1st time

as there is no instructions, and no-one at Perth Jayco had actually fitted them (at that time), it was guesstimation time
with mine, I fitted the sail track to the edge of the lid
lucky I only put 3 pop rivets in on all sides, as it came off several times to be trimmed & then trimmed again - have since seen it fitted on the INside edge of the lid - mucho betterer I think (looks anyway)
when I could trim it no more - it was then time to realise that the whole lot was 10mm short either side......
looking at it, they had cut the "cord" too short, and sewed the ends there..... shorter than needed - see n#4
I had to "up pick" the sewing on the ends of the "cord", to gain about 7mm
it fitted
it was tight
and the wind would blow and unhook the press studs
soooooooooo
sitting there thinking
I took them to my friends at Hayway Hire & Camping (Gt Northern Hwy Midland) - Blatant plug I know, but they are great people - anyho, they sewed some Velcro onto the edges, and I again removed the press studs, glued the other side of the Velcro on, then re-attached the press studs

that sodding thing "Aint gunna move in ANY wind"

other option was to soak them for a day or two - roll them out on the lawn, attach bricks to one end, and try and stretch the fabric while wet......... couldn't work out how to get tension on the brick less end - so gave that thought away as a bad joke.........

as said @KBerg Rig time and patience (and I am not known for either) will get it done, one of the things about them being $300.00 cheaper than Holiday Annexes - and you STILL have to fit them yourself.........
I did the same as big as Bigcol I had Velcro sewed down the ends
Never moves and no holes in the van

Reactions: dagree

KBerg Rig

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one. However I've installed them as intended as far as I can tell. The morale to the story is the product is faulty and I've shelled out 700 clams. Shouldn't be up to me to fix. Will let you know how I go with jayco.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Update for the bed end covers and privacy screens.

Visited Jayco dealer today(Caravanland) and was told they are not going to do bed end covers or privacy screens for 2015 models of Expandas.
at this stage. He said maybe down the track things might change but at this stage no can do.He will keep me posted.Gave me a credit as I had ordered them.
Reason....They don't need them!
Me thinks they can't get them right.

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
When I purchased mine from Jayco there was a 3 month waiting period for them to install it. So I did it myself. Jayco didn't even bother giving us enough pop reverts and I am sure they knew how many you would need. Instructions that came with the pack were hopeless lucky I am a bit of a handyman (but my Mrs thinks otherwise ;)).

I have attached some photos below for you all. Basically, remove the rubber seal off the door lid. Cut the plastic strips to size (the trick is cut little more than what Jayco says otherwise you will fall short on the overall length once you run the bed-ends along the strips). Pre-drill the holes on the plastic strips and put them against the door lid to mark where the holes go. Remove the strip and drill you life away. Put the pop reverts and place the rubber seal back on. ( I know this is a brief summary but I hope you understand the process). Cheers Trakadu
two.JPG
one.JPG
three1.JPG
four.JPG

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I must be one of the few that were lucky enough to get a pair of the jayco bed end covers that actualy fitted @KBerg Rig . @bigcol had issues with his after he fitted them but from memory sorted them out with an extension piece and some velcro. Will let him reply with what he actually did.

Agree with you regarding the quality of the press studs and supplied screws. I changed the press studs with marine grade ones and used stainless screws to suit. As for the sail tracks they are supplied oversized and need trimming to suit. Just a pity Jayco didn't provide instructions!
No. Theres two of us. Mine was a little short in horizontal length, so a reversed the press studs on the BEF and fitted the male part on the body which ended up in the little gap between the lid and the body.

Mine fit great, look great and aside from not being able leave them on when the lids closed ..... very happy

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
So far so good on fitting mine, only done the front one so far. Trimmed maybe 25mm off the two short ones but left the long one as is. Little bit apprehensive doing a job like this with no instructions from the manufacture. Thanks to everyone sharing their tips and ideas.
image.jpg

Reactions: dagree

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
All done. Easier than I first thought. Shame they couldn't print the decal in the middle. Did anyone find using the little extension straps they supplied fit up to the original privacy screen studs on the van? Mine are quite firm to clip on and reckon I ought to see how they go in the wind before i fit more press studs. If it's all good then that's a bonus due to no extra drilling.
image.jpg

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
All done. Easier than I first thought. Shame they couldn't print the decal in the middle. Did anyone find using the little extension straps they supplied fit up to the original privacy screen studs on the van? Mine are quite firm to clip on and reckon I ought to see how they go in the wind before i fit more press studs. If it's all good then that's a bonus due to no extra drilling.View attachment 31953
I've only fitted my front one as yet and I've spoke to my dealer and told them I'm not happy with the extension straps they supplied as there is still a gap and for them to be supplying them that's admitting there is a problem, I've requested to have the flies modified with a extension sewn on each side of the fly so there is no gap, will see how I go.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sorry to be a bit dim but what are the extension straps?

Our bed end covers were fitted before we took delivery and not used so far but tried them and, apart from not realising there were two different sizes (clearly marked as we discovered later) they seemed ok.

Not tested as yet but if they need extension straps then I'd rather know now that get wet later.