18' Series It has arrived. Picked up our new Expanda!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
15 minutes my arm pit

its got 8 straps to the edge of the awning

plus it sits inside the awning................. like a double roof (maybe ok in summer in the Kimberleys - dunno about Victoria though)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: Lozza T and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My options are -
1) privacy screens x 3 for summer use at a cost just under $500
2) full annex for long trips and perhaps cooler month trips $2000+
Or
3) Thule Easylink or Quickfit at a cost of $1000

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

@Lozza T ... My thoughts are (Others may be different depending on their own preferences)

1) Privacy/Shade screen *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* for the long wall for summer use and weekend stays (Plus 1x end shade screen depending what direction we are parked
2) Full annexe for long trips or inclement weather (No comment please @bigcol and other WA forumites ;) ) If you get similar to an australiawide annexe the setup options are almost limitless as you can put up what you want including just a half of the long wall as @bigcol said
its the annex - or part there of

3) I have no idea as I would like to see it in the flesh before commenting.

At the end of the day it is up to you and what type of camping you intend to do.... But trust me during each trip you will think of something to add/change ;)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks Dobbie and Bigcol for the info.
I just came across the Thule Easylink Annex and Quickfit range.

View attachment 46180

Claims it can be erected in 15 minutes.
I like the idea that it is quick to set up, provides privacy screens and provides mesh screens.
Not sure on the quality though or whether I am better off buying a full and proper annex.

My options are -
1) privacy screens x 3 for summer use at a cost just under $500
2) full annex for long trips and perhaps cooler month trips $2000+
Or
3) Thule Easylink or Quickfit at a cost of $1000

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

http://www.campsmart.net.au/thule-3.6m-easylink-annexe

This I have checked out recently.

Essentially, the Thule Fiamma stuff is designed and made for the European market and is very lightweight. We walked away from them very quickly as we thought they'd be totally inadequate for our conditions.

Didn't like the fastenings, didn't like the plastic they use, didn't like the lack of flexibility .....didn't like much at all, particularly after watching a video of their camping room I think it is called....on the Thule website.

But, there is a market for them.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I reckon you'd be fine with a long wall....around $100 on fleabay...just make sure it's got the sail track

One or two side walls with Velcro tabs.....about $80 each.

You'll know after a few camping trips, in different weather conditions, whether that's sufficient and it will be 90percent of the time.

Then decide on other options later but the above can still be used so it's not wasted.

But defiantly steer clear of the Thule stuff, IMHO.

Reactions: Lozza T

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
No one has mentioned anti flap kits as yet, Aussie Traveller anti flap bars are by far the best anti flap system on the market and you will need these if you are getting an annex.

We have a full annex (never used it) and coast to coast long and short shade walls, we only use the shade walls. We personally use our Expanda to enjoy the great outdoors if I wanted to be boxed in by four walls I would book into a motel.

The long wall slides into the sail track that is included in the awning roller and can be pegged down using occy straps or something similar or put up on poles as you have mentioned, the short wall is cut at an angle at the top the same as the the awning it slides into the sail tracks included in the ant flap bars.

I use the short wall at the rear of the van as I have a porch (awning extension) that's slides into the anti flap bars at the front.
20150824_162832.jpg

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Side walls for a poptop can be attached two ways.

First, the Velcro tabs attached to the awning arm...this leaves the top triangular area open but it's good for the breeze but can let the rain in. By far, the best option for quick setup, short stays and protection against light wind and light rain.

Second, the attachment to the afk...antiflap ....along the awning itself so the side wall requirement is different. Yes, you need an afk for this and there are several versions. After trying several, our preference is the fiamma model as it's easier for us. But that's a personal preference and only used for longer stays and /or in heavy rain or strong winds. Definately more watertight and wind resistant. Ours have never leaked yet, even in cyclonic conditions. The side wall usually then has to be custom made as its triangular....or you can get a triangular infill but that gets more fiddly

And both are easy to clean. We tend to get lots of sand blow so just throw them over the line and hose them.

Both types of side wall are pegged down with bungies or whatever and can be vertical, at an angle or erected with extra poles so good eyelets that are strengthened are needed. Personally we use rubber rings cut from truck tyres but again, that's a personal preference.

For costs, the off the shelf or fleabay offerings are best.
For protection, a full annexe or heavier walls are best.
For ventilation, the side and end wall only is easy and relatively private.
For weight and ease of travelling, the light side walls are best
For cleaning, anything but a full annexe!

This is becoming a bit of a debate....good cos I sure didn't know about all this before we needed to make some decisions...and my comments are influenced by our tendency to camp a lot on sand on Noosa northshore which attracts strong winds, driving rain and heat at some stage when we're there for three weeks at a time.

I found some photos of our early efforts to get protection years ago....it's like a jigsaw of different sizes of tarps strung together and often sagging when rained on. Not the neatest campsite and not the driest. We're far better off now!

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
The side wall usually then has to be custom made as its triangular....or you can get a triangular infill but that gets more fiddly

Coast to Coast make end walls with that are angled at the top to suit IE: no gap for sand or rain and no need for fiddly bit at the top.
20161007_140809.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lozza T and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok.... I stand corrected but only commented on our personal experience.

What's the rough price for the coast to coast version? Last time I looked at their offerings, they weren't available.

Maybe it's worth another look.

Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
@Dobbie mate I cant remember, I think it was around 180 and 120 but don't quote me on this. From memory this is what the Sunbuster side wall alone cost so no where near as dear as the Sunbusters but they are no where near the quality of the Sunbusters also.

In saying that though I reckon we will get many many years of use from the Coast to Coast version:peace:.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks @Axl

We've already ordered the sunbusters so it's probably academic anyway but, if we're ever stupid enough to order another van, the coast to coast give another option.

As said, we've had two lots of sunbusters already and they're great quality. We really only use them when we do our couch potato type of camping.....arrive, set up, and sit on our bums for three weeks with a bit of fishing in between.

And, in case anyone wonders, we have absolutely no affiliation with the Sunbuster mob...just really happy with their product. (Current order includes their B.A.R.E......not sure what it stands for but its the extended awning over the barbecue version of the side wall with the spreader bars and poles)

:bolt:

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks @Axl

We've already ordered the sunbusters so it's probably academic anyway but, if we're ever stupid enough to order another van, the coast to coast give another option.

As said, we've had two lots of sunbusters already and they're great quality. We really only use them when we do our couch potato type of camping.....arrive, set up, and sit on our bums for three weeks with a bit of fishing in between.

And, in case anyone wonders, we have absolutely no affiliation with the Sunbuster mob...just really happy with their product. (Current order includes their B.A.R.E......not sure what it stands for but its the extended awning over the barbecue version of the side wall with the spreader bars and poles)

:bolt:
BARE bbq awning roof extender.

Reactions: Dobbie

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Bigcol, Dobbie, Axl & Dagree for the info.

The Thule product is now out of the equation.
I have decided to go with the 3 scree walls.
Front draw bar end with a porch set up.
An end wall to the rear of the van.
And the long front wall.

Spoke to Sunbuster and I was very impressed with the salesman and what he had to say about his product.
Vinyl roof is water proof (to the porch area) BARE Bbq Awning Roof Extender.
Mesh walls are water resistant.
Heat resistant.
10 year warranty.

Question is whether all of this comes at a significant cost?

I did a comparison with other brands via ebay etc.
An end wall is about $100
A porch / wall is $239
The long wall is $216
Anti flap kit approx $350
Total - $905

Sunbuster pricing
An end wall is $300
A porch / wall (BARE) is $385
The long wall is $263
Anti flap kit approx $ free
Total - $948

Sunbuster is looking pretty good from my end. Only question is whether their AFK is of good quality?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
What a coincidence . ..I was talking with Garry and Steve yesterday.

The grasshopper clips are fine for the afk. It's a really good product but we're opting this time for the Fiamma one, only because we find the clips a bit tight and don't have the strength in hands to fit them easily.

We're the only ones who've had that minor problem.

That's a good price...about the same as ours with our discount.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thanks Bigcol, Dobbie, Axl & Dagree for the info.

Sunbuster is looking pretty good from my end. Only question is whether their AFK is of good quality?

Sounds like you have got it all worked out @Lozza T, the only comment I would make about the Sunbuster AFK is from the pics on their web site I can only see one sail track on the bars, I may be wrong as it is not easy to see.

The Aussie Traveller AFK has two sail tracks, this allows you to hang an annex wall and have the front porch on at the same time should it be required.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That, I like!

I've been contemplating whether we'd ever need two sail tracks and can't think we would...but have also been looking at double tracks on fleabay, in case we did need them.

This is far better than the rigid ones I was looking at.

Reactions: Lozza T