18' Series It has arrived. Picked up our new Expanda!

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi everyone! We picked up our new Expanda 18.56-1 last Friday and the family were so wrapped. The kids were so excited (mind you dad was very excited as well:))

The delivery took 2 hours but I think it could have been 4 hours if we were allowed. Its an information overload which was overwhelming and difficult especially as everyone was so excited.

We got all the extras we wanted. My son loves the curtain to the top bunk and my wife is very satisfied with the 1 tone decor. I just love the Outback look.

Towing with the Triton went reasonably well as I was a little nervous the 1st time. Steep hills are challenging for the Triton but otherwise manoeuvring into position using low range was a breeze.

Melbourne Cup week end went really, even through the 100kms winds on Saturday night. (I ended up testing the storm covers that night)
The only hiccup of the week end was the ext shower door hinge pin had broken (probably the night of the 100kms winds)

Mattresses are a little firm compared to our normal ones at home. My wife wants to look into an overlay of some sort.

Thanks to all on my previous thread who helped me with my decision and offered very good advice.

Looking forward to our trip over Christmas at the Prom!:dance:

At the dealer.

Picture (1).jpg

First trip home to load up.

Picture (2).jpg

At the block
Picture 2.jpg Picture.jpg

Picture 3.jpg Picture 4.jpg Picture 5.jpg Picture 6.jpg Picture 7.jpg

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi everyone! We picked up our new Expanda 18.56-1 last Friday and the family were so wrapped. The kids were so excited (mind you dad was very excited as well:))

The delivery took 2 hours but I think it could have been 4 hours if we were allowed. Its an information overload which was overwhelming and difficult especially as everyone was so excited.

We got all the extras we wanted. My son loves the curtain to the top bunk and my wife is very satisfied with the 1 tone decor. I just love the Outback look.

Towing with the Triton went reasonably well as I was a little nervous the 1st time. Steep hills are challenging for the Triton but otherwise manoeuvring into position using low range was a breeze.

Melbourne Cup week end went really, even through the 100kms winds on Saturday night. (I ended up testing the storm covers that night)
The only hiccup of the week end was the ext shower door hinge pin had broken (probably the night of the 100kms winds)

Mattresses are a little firm compared to our normal ones at home. My wife wants to look into an overlay of some sort.

Thanks to all on my previous thread who helped me with my decision and offered very good advice.

Congrats @Lozza T van looks great.
Any mods planned........?

I know it was a dumb question......
But I just like to hear what ideas everyone has for their vans ..... So we can all copy them.

Reactions: Lozza T and dagree

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Delano.

Tool Box.
Initially I was going to wait and see how I go for storage on a trip or 2 but I think my 1st mod is going to be the front tool box.
So things to consider?
Gas bottles installed inside the box? Or is it better outside?
Lid hinged on top? Or front lid for access while bed is in position?
Slide out BBQ of from end of box? Is there much room left in the box with a slide out draw BBQ?
Powdercoat black (I do like @AzHaych version of tool box)

Dual Rear camera system.
Purchased a reasonably cheap one on ebay. I have installed a reverse camera on the Triton already and it was great reversing to line up the tow ball. The caravan camera is waiting to be installed. Just need to work out how to mount the camera. Was thinking of fixing a gal plate on the inside face of the existing rear bar and fixing the camera to the plate. Welcome any other suggestions here....

Awning.
I was thinking initially about a full annex. However, I am not too sure whether I am keen to spend the time to set it up unless the stay was for more than 7-10 days? I do like the idea of arriving somewhere and having the camp site ready in less than half an hour. (mind you it took us over an hour on our 1st set up on the Melb Cup weekend, but I am sure we will become more efficient after a few more trips). So with that said, I may consider a side & front privacy screen.

That's it for now!

Reactions: AzHaych and Delano

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Very nice we have the same but with the shower and toilet with the blind above the top bunk did you make at order it cheers

The curtain for the top bunk was factory fitted. My son got the idea while we were checking out the Starcraft model and we asked for it during the negotiation phase.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
where does one start.....................

Tool Box
I assume you have read this thread here

(this is my front box - neat for about 5 minutes
IMAG0712.jpg

Dual Rear camera system.
I have my camera on the back bumper next to the where I put the number plate (as I fitted the spare on a swing down carrier
IMAG0710.jpg

Awning
well, we have the privacy screens, as well as the annex

even if its just a weekend away, we will take 1 end and half of the side (its a 2 piece side on ours) from the annex
just helps sometimes with wind & also security I suppose

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My thoughts @Lozza T and I'm sure others will pipe in with their thoughts ;)
Gas bottles installed inside the box? Or is it better outside?
As it looks like you have the extended drawbar I'd recommend mounting the gas bottles outside, in front of the box once fitted (Saves fitting vents etc)

Lid hinged on top? Or front lid for access while bed is in position?
All depends if you need to access anything once set up?

Or front lid for access while bed is in position?
Can lift ours enough to squeeze an arm in to turn the gas tap on/off as required and grab anything small I left in there when setting up!

Slide out BBQ of from end of box? Is there much room left in the box with a slide out draw BBQ?
Not for us as we setup the BBQ at the rear of the awning or under the gazebo at the front.

Powdercoat black
Looks good and we thought about it as well..... But after seeing the stone chips in a mates one on his camper trailer we quickly decided against it.

Dual Rear camera system.
Love ours..... The one on the rear of the Prado is called my "Marriage Saver" ;)
I have one mounted on top of the rear wheel holder on the van and use a Digoptions indash stereo/gps unit and use pic in pic option so we can still listen to music while driving. (Maybe better options out there but the Scottish blood in me ;) )

We have the full awning and shade walls.... Full awning is great when staying more than a week or more but the shade walls are great for a weekend away when hot and not in a shady area.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast

At the dealer.

View attachment 45948
First trip home to load up.

View attachment 45949

At the block
View attachment 45950 View attachment 45951

View attachment 45952 View attachment 45953 View attachment 45954 View attachment 45955 View attachment 45956
that is a really nice looking van- congratulations

Reactions: Delano

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Very nice we have the same but with the shower and toilet with the blind above the top bunk did you make at order it cheers
The curtain for the top bunk was factory fitted. My son got the idea while we were checking out the Starcraft model and we asked for it during the negotiation phase.

Very good cheers

Reactions: Delano

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hey @Lozza T,

Looks awesome guys well done.

You seem fairly well on top of most things so the only advice I can give so far is about the annex. As @bigcol mentioned we also just put up the end panel with one of the sides on for privacy if the sites are close together, helps with wind and also to just hide things away in the corner. After some practice it is done pretty quick, usually after everything else is done and with a beer in my hand mind you.

There is also the appeal when you decide to sell the van, most people are looking for a van with a full annex so you will get some of the money back at that stage.

Happy camping guys.

Reactions: Lozza T and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
There is also the appeal when you decide to sell the van, most people are looking for a van with a full annex so you will get some of the money back at that stage.

good point, I know of a couple of people who, when buying 2nd hand, have walked away from really nice Vans - because there was no annex

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I guess awnings are more useful in colder wetter places...or those where it's very unpredictable (couldn't resist saying that....) but, on a serious note, those who tend to camp in warmer places or who do extended travelling, tend to opt for the non awning alternative....the shade walls as they're perfectly adequate and let the breeze through....and quick to attach.

So, when getting advice, I'd check out where the advisor comes from and decide on the basis of what you intend to do with camping.

Me....shade screens all the way....but I avoid camping in the cold. When I have done it, I'd have given my right arm for a full annexe and a diesel heater.

Horses for courses. Neigh.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::clock:

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I guess awnings are more useful in colder wetter places...or those where it's very unpredictable (couldn't resist saying that....) but, on a serious note, those who tend to camp in warmer places or who do extended travelling, tend to opt for the non awning alternative....the shade walls as they're perfectly adequate and let the breeze through....and quick to attach.

So, when getting advice, I'd check out where the advisor comes from and decide on the basis of what you intend to do with camping.

Me....shade screens all the way....but I avoid camping in the cold. When I have done it, I'd have given my right arm for a full annexe and a diesel heater.

Horses for courses. Neigh.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::clock:
Hi @Dobbie
Re the screens. I am not in a position to spend over 2k on an annex but I like the idea of the privacy screens. Do you have both sides and 1 for the front?
I was thinking grey or would black be better?
Have you ever used them as additional shade by being an extension of the awning and using tebt poles?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes.yes yes and yes.

We have both sides (two of different quality) and one long one.

Two types are firstly, the coast to coast which I find very lightweight and a bit flimsy.....maybe that's just me. They're grey and only used for quick protection on short stays. Velcro tabs used for quick awning attachment.

The better variety are the Sunbusters which are stronger and can be used in a number of ways. They need afk or sail tracks but are 95percent capable of keeping wind and rain out.

And yes...all three can be extended easily (need extra poles) so you get extra shade. Works brilliantly. I'll try to post some photos if I can find them.

So that's why we don't have a full annexe.

If you decide on the Sunbuster ones go to their web site to choose colours. From experience, the blue is the best for sun protection. We've just ordered our third set for a new van so we're very happy with them.

(I need to reduce the size of photos so will do it later!)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
image.jpeg

The grey ones are the coast to coast, the blue the Sunbuster.

image.jpeg

As you can see we are very tidy campers!
The blue long wall is usually in line with awning height...it must have been windy that day.

Reactions: Lozza T and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when we picked up our Expanda, we were given a credit to use at the "Jayco toy shop"
so we brought the coast to coast shade awnings - front & rear & long one for side
we used these for maybe 2-3 years, then brought the full annex

usually
summer time its the shade awnings
winter time (spring, winter & autum) its the annex - or part there of

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Dobbie and Bigcol for the info.
I just came across the Thule Easylink Annex and Quickfit range.

image.jpeg

Claims it can be erected in 15 minutes.
I like the idea that it is quick to set up, provides privacy screens and provides mesh screens.
Not sure on the quality though or whether I am better off buying a full and proper annex.

My options are -
1) privacy screens x 3 for summer use at a cost just under $500
2) full annex for long trips and perhaps cooler month trips $2000+
Or
3) Thule Easylink or Quickfit at a cost of $1000

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

http://www.campsmart.net.au/thule-3.6m-easylink-annexe

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 166