If price was not a factor, what wagon would you buy?

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
If price was not a factor when purchasing a new tug, with criteria being 4x4 Diesel Auto wagon. What would you buy?
Top 3 for me are

LC200 Sahara with GVM upgrade (not sure they've got the issues sorted yet)
Prado 150 Kakadu - Again not sure about the engine, bit underpowered
NW pajero exceed - great car but tech getting a bit old now

If i could convince the missus

Grand cherokee overland - not much accessory support
LR D4 - didnt have a good experince with the D2

What would you buy?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
If price was not a factor when purchasing a new tug, with criteria being 4x4 Diesel Auto wagon. What would you buy?
Top 3 for me are

What would you buy?

I am not sure on the model but I would want one of the US trucks F250 + with a 4.5 tonne towing capacity.

By the way did you mean price of tug and petrol afterwards not being a factor :)!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I would be going the 200 VX with gvm upgrade. I would go the V8 petrol over the diesel though. That is personal preference, nothing against the diesels.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
If price is no problem then it doesn't matter! Lol. With 20k difference in purchase price and reduced service costs it takes almost 100000 Kms to break even with the diesel, not to mention I prefer petrols, no real reason other than I just do.

Reactions: blacky

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Top 3 for me are

What would you buy?

Have to be either the Toyota Tundra or the new Dodge Ram - as I need a ute. Fully kitted out with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky and hamish22

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
This...
images.jpg

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
For towing I just go a light truck like a GMC Denali (6.6 litre Duramax V8 diesel. 6 speed auto. 5000kg towing or 7 tonne in the tub. Over 1000Nm @ 1600rpm) Would need to be white with decals to match Expanda. Probably option with a Chev belt buckle and cowboy boots.

Or when I get beyond towing, maybe a pop-top campervan like the new Global Warrior.
DSC_0077.jpg

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
How about one of these. May be the first vehicle were you might want to take options off, rather than but them on.

Some options make help with city traffic

Bushmaster_230x200px.jpg

Cheers
Steve

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Could of had a Denali. The boss brings some in from the US and they would have worked out cheaper than the cruiser, BUT you can't fit in most parking places and you can't take them four wheel driving on our tracks, they bottom out and that goes for most the US SUV's. they are like sitting in an armchair to drive and tuned they go like a supercharged HsV.

Based on above it would be hard to beat a Sahara Deisel. Sorry Cracka the petrol is good but it don't tow like the diesel.

Rangie noway, I would have a Disco before a Rangie.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Audi Q7 6L V12TDI would be my pick, but wouldnt be taking it on any serious offroad tracks! I had the 3L V6 TDI before and it towed like a dream, can only imagine how effortless the same car with twice the engine would be.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I would be going the 200 VX with gvm upgrade. I would go the V8 petrol over the diesel though. That is personal preference, nothing against the diesels.

Me too, I don't like all the plastic woodgrain crap in the Sahara.

I have a 200 GXL TTD, I prefer diesel, probably for the same reason some of you guys prefer petrol!!:boink:

If $$$ is not an option, I'd be looking at the Tundra... Great looking bit of kit!:bounce:

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
I tow, but also do a fair bit of 4x4 and camping:

So it would be the VX LC200 TTD for me with every mod and accessory known to man. Have read some good stuff on the new Disco, but IMO hard to go past the Toyota, especially when in remote areas.

As for utes, I reckon the latest Chevy Silverado 2500 LT with the 6.6L V8 Duramax would be hard to go past. Does the Tundra come in a Diesel yet? Last time I looked it was only Petrol.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I think most of you have forgotten you will regularly need to refuel them and with the price of fuel :o

I reckon I would go for either a top of the range Pathfinder V6 Diesel or its dual cab equivalent with 550NM :02.47-tranquillity:

Reactions: CJ1177

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Personally for me it would be the cruiser , it has the room ,power plenty of accesories that fit and dont knock like a Nissan !!!!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Me too, I don't like all the plastic woodgrain crap in the Sahara.

I have a 200 GXL TTD, I prefer diesel, probably for the same reason some of you guys prefer petrol!!:boink:

If $$$ is not an option, I'd be looking at the Tundra... Great looking bit of kit!:bounce:
Hey Hubble there's plastic wood grain crap in the VX too. Nah Tundra petrol only and it has sh1t tow capacity too.