17' Series Help buying 2nd hand 17 series

Prm

May 15, 2015
Glenden Qld
Gday,

I am new to this forum and have found it an extremely helpful research tool so far. I am looking to purchase a 2011 to 2013 expanda outback 17.56.2 and have found one i am keen on which leeds me to needing some advise and answers to some pretty simple questions.

Does the 2013 model come standard with roof mounted air con and have a reverse cycle function? (heater)

If a 2013 model has "solar provision", but also already has a battery what else would be needed to get it running on solar beside the obvious solar panel?

Is the inside lighting led and will it have the awning barrel led light from standard?

Is the external gas bayonet a standard item or optional?

What issues should i be looking for in a 2nd hand van of this vintage. I am staying away from 2014 model onwards due to the increase in ATM and i don't want to upgrade my 150 series prado.

Thanks for any help.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Gday,

1) I am new to this forum and have found it an extremely helpful research tool so far. I am looking to purchase a 2011 to 2013 expanda outback 17.56.2 and have found one i am keen on which leeds me to needing some advise and answers to some pretty simple questions.
2) Does the 2013 model come standard with roof mounted air con and have a reverse cycle function? (heater)
3) If a 2013 model has "solar provision", but also already has a battery what else would be needed to get it running on solar beside the obvious solar panel?
4) Is the inside lighting led and will it have the awning barrel led light from standard?
5) Is the external gas bayonet a standard item or optional?
6) What issues should i be looking for in a 2nd hand van of this vintage. I am staying away from 2014 model onwards due to the increase in ATM and i don't want to upgrade my 150 series prado.

7) Thanks for any help.

1) welcome to the Forum, we sure aim to please (but miss frequently) you will get a lot of people here have a wealth of knowledge that is definitely indispensable

2) to my knowledge, only standard on full size Van - was an option on the pop ups.......

3) if it has the "solar provision" it should have the converter for the solar panels to plug into then into the setec (my limited understanding of solar)

4) LED's became standard in 2013, and the Barrel awning lights were standard on 2014

5) bayonet point was standard from about 2012 (not 100% sure - help someone.............)

6) general wear and tear.......... if its been looked after or if its been trashed...... there may be some quality issues (Jayco thing) but obvious damage from being used should lower the price for sure.....busted hinges, scratched floor coverings, nick and scrapes in the wood work etc

7) we are more than happy to help when we can

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I have a 2013, the roof A/C is standard. It is the Truma Aventa reverse cycles. Works ok, but apparently the heater function doesn't work below about 3deg.(I've never used it at low temp)

Solar provision will just be the wiring to the roof. You will need the roof mount panel and a regulator.

As @bigcol says. Led lights are std and include the blue light mode, no barrel LEDs.

The gas bayonet is Syd on outback. Mine is at the back, but some are at the front. No idea why, but my one doesn't seem to be able to provide enough pressure to get the Webber Q 200 up to high temp. I assume it's pressure drop from too small dia gas line.
I'm moving mine to the front.

If the van you are looking for has an extended drawbar it is a good extra to have.
Most other things can be added if you find yo need them.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
About the only other things I can add to @bigcol 's and @Soaring 's comments is to check under the mattress's for water damage..... Not so much of an issue with the hard lid models but have seen a few earlier models with this. Usually caused by high pressure cleaning or driving in torrential rain!

Also have a thorough look at everything and make sure things haven't been "Touched Up" as a temporary measure (More commonly seen on cars for sale >:( )

Reactions: bigcol

Prm

May 15, 2015
Glenden Qld
Thanks for the help.

Went for a second look at the van today and opened bed ends etc. So far it all looks good, I had a good look for water damage after some of the comments I had read on here.

So we took the big jump into caravan ownership and put a deposit on the van! Woo hoo!

Just got to get some stopping power put onto the prado and get some mirrors and away we go!

I have heard that tekomsha are ok? I am going to start looking into this on here tonight and see what has been said before.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @Prm and there are plenty of discussions regarding brake controllers...... Get some popcorn and enjoy the reads....

Better still enjoy the van when you get it!

Edit: Tekonsha P3 here and happy with it!

Last edited:

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
P3 for me too. Has worked flawlessly.
Oh , and congrats, you won't know yourself with the 17. Best model of the lot!!:pop2:
When is the big day?

Prm

May 15, 2015
Glenden Qld
We hope to pick it up next weekend but that will depend on getting an auto leech to put the brakes put on the Prado and getting a set of mirrors to tow it home with. Its a 2hr drive to get the van so we want to be legal and safe for the drive home. Then we will need to fill it with our essentials.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Congrats @Prm on the 17.56.2 purchase, is it a 2012 or 13? I have Tekonsha P3 and took it with me from the STX 550 into the Disco, once its set its done.

Az

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Have to disagree with the guys a little had the Tekonsha that was great but have the new Redarc unit in the new Prado and have found its head and shoulders above my previous Tekonsha unit. Look horses for courses and all these guys are very experienced at towing as I am but I have found that the Redarc is the next step so to speak.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Found my review and info here on my Prado build up page @Prm
As a bit of a break down of the new trucks equipment I thought I would go into some of the new trucks toys. Firstly I have, for the first time, gone away from Tekonsha and elected to go for a Redarc Tow Pro.
towpro-jpg.jpg

Redarc says the following;
"A world breakthrough in electronic brake controllers which offers greater safety for motorists towing heavy trailers and caravans will underpin a push into international markets by Australian electronics firm Redarc Electronics.
The new Tow-Pro electronic brake controller offers motorists the choice of engaging either inertia sensing or user controlled braking on trailers through the simple turn of a dial inside the towing vehicle.
It is the first time either mode can be selected through one central unit."

The reviews regarding the Tow Pro indicate that it prevents the surging that is a factor in many different controllers.

I like the fact that the dial is a small unit that I will mount in one of the blanks either to the right of the steering wheel or to the right of the 4H-4L dial.

Apparently you need only drive around 100 metres for the unit to calibrate itself.

All the reviews I have seen to date indicate that it is head and shoulders above the Tekonsha unit I have and have always had.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
After reading a bit more on the Redarc page thinking it might be tho go when a new one is required.... Like the idea of just having the control knob in view and nothing under the dash that can get knocked by the knee!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We hope to pick it up next weekend but that will depend on getting an auto leech to put the brakes put on the Prado and getting a set of mirrors to tow it home with. Its a 2hr drive to get the van so we want to be legal and safe for the drive home. Then we will need to fill it with our essentials.

Make that auto leckieo_O

no, you were right the first time..................

Reactions: Drover and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the reason why I have 2 different ones is because
my car old school - not much in the way of electronics......... Diesel.........
SWMBO's car is a 100 series Cruiser - lots and lots of electronics

I would have gone the Redark if I was using hers to tow all the time with, but it isnt for that, its a last ditch fail safe if anything goes wrong with the main tow car.

if (and when @Drover ) I upgrade, the new tow car will have a lot of electronics, hence the thought of the Redark

as @The Goodwins said - horses for courses, but I work under the theory that the Tow car will be loaded, and towing a dead weight, so I want something that will do its job without me having to out think it - or think for it

Reactions: dagree

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Have to disagree with the guys a little had the Tekonsha that was great but have the new Redarc unit in the new Prado and have found its head and shoulders above my previous Tekonsha unit. Look horses for courses and all these guys are very experienced at towing as I am but I have found that the Redarc is the next step so to speak.
Fair call. Ive heard good and bad (nothing too serious though) on this one. Definitely worth a look and one big plus is the dash mount ability.

Reactions: dagree