Grey Water tank regulations

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi. Been trying to catch up with regs for grey water tanks as I think w'll need to fit one but came across this:

Disposal of grey water from caravans

An increasing number of owners have modified their caravans to be self-contained, and manufacturers are now producing self-contained units.

There are now caravan owners who have had their units accredited under the Leave No Trace®(LNT) scheme. These owners also sign a declaration to agree to abide by an 11 point Code of Conduct to do the right thing at all times whilst 'on the road'.

There seems to be some confusion amongst RV tourists as to the correct disposal of 'grey water'. Those who are LNT accredited will be aware, that in clause 9 of the Code of Conduct, it states: All grey and black water MUST be retained in holding tanks or suitable sealable containers at all times, unless permitted to drain grey water onto the ground by a controlling authority.

If you are staying in a rest area, showground, campground, etc where it states that it is restricted to self-contained vehicles and no water is to be drained onto the ground, then all grey water must be collected into a sealable container if the unit is not fitted with a grey water holding tank. THIS GREY WATER IS NOT TO BE PUT ONTO GARDENS OR AROUND TREES IN THAT AREA. It must be disposed of into a dump point, which may mean taking it off site. Please bear in mind that some Councils are now adopting a 'zero tolerance' policy regarding grey water.

If you are permitted to drain the grey water onto the ground and you have a holding tank, then please do this by 'drip feed'. Do not allow the tank to fill and then open the valve to allow all of the waste water to discharge at one time. This only creates an area of soggy soil and can leave an unpleasant smell. Be considerate of others. You would not like to drive onto a site where someone had just discharged all their grey water waste.

If you have collected your grey water into a container, then if allowed, it can be put onto gardens, but it is advisable, if possible, to ask where it is best to dispose of this waste.

I haven't found anything which prohibits the use of portable containers or cassettes specifically for grey water...ebay have several cassette type tanks, similar to the toilet cassette in the van, and I'm wondering if we can carry one of these and make up the plumbing bits to take the grey water directly to a cassette, then carry it away for easy disposal at a dump point??

I know others have designated tanks for grey water fitted and some use home designed ones but I'm after something that is easy to empty and doesn't add weight when its not needed.

I hope I haven't missed a previous post on this topic but I did look..........honest!

Reactions: Bluey

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yes you can use portable tanks/cassettes/ sealed bucket etc., I know most national parks require the use of grey water collection, more a more free camps are starting to require the collection of grey water, personally think it's a crock of sh!!!t, I mean I under stand why it's done in some places, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of sink/shower water on the ground around trees and scrub etc. but kept well away from waterways.
I mean you can't tell me that some of these nomads that free camp in the one spot for weeks on end don't tip the water from their so called "grey tanks" somewhere in the bush, after all an average van would only hold around 90 litres in a fitted tank and that wouldn't take long to fill, I'm sure they don't pack up drive to the nearest dump point then come back.
Even the biggest of motorhomes can only hold so much grey water, In fact it's members of the CMCA (mostly motor home owners) that lobbied the councils and pollies to implement the use of grey tanks, more so because they will then have these places to themselves, as they know the Mr & Mrs average caravaner wont have a "grey tank".

Do they really carry their 90+ litres of "grey water several hundreds of km's til they find a suitable disposal location?

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Yes you can use portable tanks/cassettes/ sealed bucket etc., I know most national parks require the use of grey water collection, more a more free camps are starting to require the collection of grey water, personally think it's a crock of sh!!!t, I mean I under stand why it's done in some places, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of sink/shower water on the ground around trees and scrub etc. but kept well away from waterways.
I mean you can't tell me that some of these nomads that free camp in the one spot for weeks on end don't tip the water from their so called "grey tanks" somewhere in the bush, after all an average van would only hold around 90 litres in a fitted tank and that wouldn't take long to fill, I'm sure they don't pack up drive to the nearest dump point then come back.
Even the biggest of motorhomes can only hold so much grey water, In fact it's members of the CCMA (mostly motor home owners) that lobbied the councils and pollies to implement the use of grey tanks, more so because they will then have these places to themselves, as they know the Mr & Mrs average caravaner wont have a "grey tank".

Do they really carry their 90+ litres of "grey water several hundreds of km's til they find a suitable disposal location

I think your spot on !

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A lot of "Self contained Only" camps have specific rules and I also doubt that all carry their grey water to a dump point but can see the need for not just dumping it on the ground where you camp, while some ,like me, show a bit of care there's a hell of a lot of grots who just let it go and make one hell of a mess for the next mob to try and miss...........and the argument about harmfull chemicals is just BS, we use the same stuff at home that we use in the van and at home have a grey water tank which pumps out onto the lawn or where ever I put the hose, no dead stuff, in fact it's the only water our lawn gets sometimes. On tank water and bore no fancy city stuff at our place so the chemical argument is a scare tactic to keep the unwashed in line.

As for a grey water tank look at my thread, I built and fitted my own and while it currently only holds 40 odd lts it can be expanded but the best thing about it is you can clean it out easily where the other shop bought jobs become a festering grease trap and really can pong, it does not require S bends, we have found it's good for 2 nights if you don't go crazy with the shower, if I had to empty it because of some rampant greenie nearby it is easy to decant into an old 10lt oil keg.

Most of the "We Only Free Camp " are strange types anyway, why would I free camp 40kms from the beach and burn all that fuel up to go anywhere when I can pay for a camp and walk to fish or swim, save having to drive ,anyway thats another whinge/rant..............lol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
PS: Where I'm camped at the moment we run the drain onto the garden or trees by each van and all is good. Oh and the other thing about my grey tank is when in a park which has the drain up hill from your van the water will drain away without backing up into your shower etc.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Totally agree with the sentiments expressed above.

We carry a sullage hose and have never used it as yet because we collect grey water in a bucket and dispose of it carefully...either around trees, bushes etc or into the sullage drain in caravan parks. Never had a problem with it.

My concern is that we want to abide by regulations re free camping within reason.

If there's a restriction on camping in places such as national parks in regards to disposal, collection of grey water and if we can comply easily, then we'll do it.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Forgot to add.....

It's the portable one we are considering. Nothing else.

Just concerned that the checking we've done is correct....I definately don't want to support some stupid regulation as we are careful, considerate and dispose of our grey water appropriately.

I certainly don't support more regulation...just want to be sure we can continue to camp in places we like and comply with regulations.

I hate packing up quickly!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
What happens for those who tent in National Parks, when they wash in a bucket what happens to the water??? If I can camp in a tent and pour my water on a tree then why can't I run a hose from my van to a tree? All sounds like Politically correct BS to appease the people who never actually go bush

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just plain old Common Sense is all thats needed really...................trouble is it's not all that common nowadays I think........

I started off with my own version of a portable grey tank, actually a modified oil drum but it was such a pain having to keep an eye out when full like when using a bucket, thats why I made my fitted unit, it's good when stopping for lunch and at a park just plug hose on to run to drain or grass, set and forget, and if when free camping the tanks gets full it will drain via the breather but sneakily.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
So.....we are fine with some form of sealed bucket or cassette type receptacle to collect our grey water if necessary and be prepared to take it with us if necessary ?

In that case I have a manky old water container with a screw top that will pack in nicely and I'll put a large sign on it

Grey water only!

Will the politically correct agree?

Incidentally, my original post simply quoted an article I came across....not my thoughts on the subject.

If you see an expanda with a dirty 20 litre water bottle (with the appropriate sign) hanging off the back you'll know it's me!

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Can I ask? Who's regs are they? Which state? What legislation or regulation?

Or is it a bunch of twoddle coming from a lobby group?

Sorry bit cynical but I'm yet to here anyone quote actually laws, Local, State or Federal yet.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I had the same problem getting accurate info. It's mainly a conglomeration of emotional responses via lots of forums and difficult to find any real substance.

The closest I could get was the bit I put in italics in my original post and, in the absence of anything substantiated I'll go with that.

At least all I have to do is carry an old water container which was headed for the dump anyway and a bit of hose......and find a permanent marker for my sign!

Reactions: crackacoldie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can I ask? Who's regs are they? Which state? What legislation or regulation?

Or is it a bunch of twoddle coming from a lobby group?

Sorry bit cynical but I'm yet to here anyone quote actually laws, Local, State or Federal yet.

Basically there is no federal/national regs or laws pertaining to it but you will find Councils, National Parks, State Forest etc will promulgate regulations where camping will be permitted so long as you are " Self Contained" which in essence means you are required to contain all waste, that being sullage and sewerage, therefore if you want to stop there you will require your own grey water and sewerage to be contained.
Brought about due to numerous pigs that abound free camp areas, those that can't even use a garbage bin and crap near the camp. Don't need laws just some common sense which some lack.

Actually if you look hard enough you will find that the dumping of effuluent or grey water is covered just not under the heading of caravans or camping but general legislation.

Reactions: Bushman and Dobbie

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Under waste control legislation in Victoria dumping of grey water is not an issue and is encouraged through water saving measures. Dumping of black waste is illegal.

I'm probably being pedantic but I think you'll find that many grey water requirements are actually under "conditions of use" rather than legislation, regulation or local laws. So they may not necessarily be legally enforceable.

Cynical me says that anyone requiring complete containment of grey water doesn't understand the waste they are dealing with.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Probably correct @peterg but at places like Buladelah if you dump on the ground and are not self contained the council ranger will move you on and/or write a ticket.
See in free camps some will just let it flow and the next person along finds a bog hole so there's a multitude of reasons for requiring you to contain the stuff........................can't see an issue really regarding containment, if no need to contain waste water then no reason to use a rubbish bin, just throw your bottles and rubbish out the door, someone else will clean it up.........................

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Probably correct @peterg but at places like Buladelah if you dump on the ground and are not self contained the council ranger will move you on and/or write a ticket.
See in free camps some will just let it flow and the next person along finds a bog hole so there's a multitude of reasons for requiring you to contain the stuff........................can't see an issue really regarding containment, if no need to contain waste water then no reason to use a rubbish bin, just throw your bottles and rubbish out the door, someone else will clean it up.........................
Yep not stating a case for being a pig, just saying that many of these "regs" are actually unenforceable.

Personally we collect our grey water and give it to the nearby vegetation.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, I followed that and am same as you, as with most things just have to put up with it, easier to comply than try an argue about it, just waste time and ruin a holiday..................pick a fight with council will occupy a year or so of your time, just not worth the effort really.
My lawn at home is fed by grey water, no town water here.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
My lawn as well. Also no town water.

So....it seems the restrictions apply to specific areas by local councils and can be enforceable by rangers in national parks, presumably. That's acceptable.

As to other free camps, some idiots who don't give a toss are creating the problem, councils put up signs but it's difficult to enforce and the rest of us who try to do the right thing are forced to carry superseded containers so they comply, if questioned.

It seems we need a national dob in a drongo line to limit the idiots who cause the problems in the first place. I wonder how many wicked campers and such would be culpable.

I did my sign on my old water container today so ready to rock and roll. It even fits neatly on the step of the van so, while it remains empty, that's where it will travel.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think it's at Julia Creek Free Camp the council have stipulated no buckets or drums for waste water and a few other places out there are the same, they are well looked after by the locals and I don't have any problem with it but we all pay the price for others stupidity, not just when camping.
My battery would go flat ringing up that line I think.......................@dobbie
Just hosed out my grey water tank after 3 weeks away, yucky......