Goodies 2014 Prado GLX Diesel Build Up

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks @The Goodwins

My local caravan repair joint suggested that the best approach is to upgrade suspension and put airbags as first step and if I need more go the WDH. The standard Prado suspension is very soft and will sags a lot.

They showed me some photos of cars with their tow bar bent or sheared off from the bolts. They said that Most damage happens on bad or dirt road where the WDH should be disconnected but drivers forget.

I have towed camper trailers in the past, but we are getting our first caravan in November so this is a whole new ball game for me.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Btw the airbags are Polyairs that I have quoted for. I was turned off Firestone with a lot of folk on PradoPoint saying not so positive things about their experiences.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Not yet @cruza driver it will be a part of my Tewantin September trip review. The trip review will include the new addition.....
20140828_064158.jpg

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Btw the airbags are Polyairs that I have quoted for. I was turned off Firestone with a lot of folk on PradoPoint saying not so positive things about their experiences.

Hello Simon

I have Polyair bags in my current NW Pajero and I had them for 3 years in my previous NP Pajero. I had them fitted by Capital Steering and Suspension in Fyshwick Canberra. They also fitted 4 Bilsteins to my NP which were much better than the standard shocks. I also get them to do a Wheel alignment about every 25K and in my older Pajero this modified suspension system worked well. I just have the Polyairs in my new Pajero at this stage (about 12 months) and they are working well.

I previously only towed about 1.2t (Avan single axel) and used the Polyair bags to reduce up and down movement and for fine levelling. They did this very well. I have just ordered a Jayco Outback Starcraft (18.55.3) van which will be about 2.5t loaded. I am also thinking about what I need to do before I pick it up.

My plans are I already have the Polyair Bags which I will supplement with better shocks (Konis or Bilsteins) and maybe heavier springs. I believe it will be about another $1000 fitted to rear for the springs and shocks (I already have the air bags) with wheel alignment.
I am keen to avoid a WDH, if at all possible as I too have heard horror stories about them on dirt roads, roundabouts and cattle grids. I am advised they should not be used on dirt roads. The other important modification I am looking at is the McHitch (3.5t auto version). It can be later fitted with WDH, but I will do mods and fit McHitch first and do a couple of short "shakedown" trips and try to avoid a WDH if possible.

My new van is much heavier than I have previously towed, so I am a little worried, but I think with the above suspension mods, careful driving, ESC and dual axel I will be OK. Also note a useful thing if you have air bags is an Aldi bicycle pump with gauge, each morning before rolling I check the air bag pressure and pump if needed, cheaper than a compressor and very convenient.

Regards

Reactions: Simon and bigcol

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @yabbietol the previous owner of our van towed it with a Prado, he put air bags in it, towed it around Aus for 3-4 months and did a lot of gravel roads all without a WDH, in travel mode its around 2.5T, he did chip it to try and get some power out of it and it was way up on the Prado limits but he had no dramas at all. I ordered air bags from truck springs in the states, they cost around $100 landed I fitted them myself. We have 50.oook on the Jeep now, leave them at 5psi around town and 15psi when towing, we don't use a WDH either. I find the 17:56:2 really well balanced, it does have an extended draw bar which might help, not sure but we tend to cruise around 100 - 110K and higher when overtaking road trains and it justs follows along.

Reactions: yabbietol

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Actually @bigcol its dads new toy. It will live at Tewantin (As it turns out their new house is walking distance from the Big4 we love) so guess where we are going in September and for December. Plus when they go to the USA for 6 months next year......I have a cunning plan....
Technically it is the best boat ever.....owned by someone else who says use it whenever you want........OK I WILL!!!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Fitted a Heavy Duty 35mm lift kit and Polyair Bags to our 120 series and set the tow hitch up with an adjustable drop hitch... Set the tow hitch on Prado and expanda at the same height and use the airbags to get them back to level with 26psi in them.

Tows really well so far so happy!!

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So added a few more touches......
20140912_172837.jpg

To quote Tony Stark....
"............... Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it!"

And a shout out to Steve Jobs........
20140912_172857.jpg

And finally for me........its time!!!!!
20140912_172919.jpg

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So I have decided to bring forward the Dual battery system.
Here are the main components I have decided on (Though I am open to advice & suggestions)
Battery Tray
BT150-1.jpg

The unit is by ABR Sidewinder and is currently the best priced/easiest to install unit of all. At around $145 delivered it represents the best value.
The downside is battery size......only a 60AH to 70AH can be used due to size. Apparently an issue for the 2014 model. For me not an issue as the vehicle would not sit still for 3 to 4 days without being run.

Dual Battery Management isolator charger
D250S%20DUAL_0[1].jpg

Representing probably the best value on the market at this time it also allows for the addition of Solar. At $249 its $150 cheaper than its rival and I think is both more efficient and has the solar option.

Socket at rear
bf815_2.jpg

Flush mounted allows for both the USB units and the fridge socket. A battery monitor will be added in the cockpit eventually.

Costing for the fitout with cable and fuse at this stage runs to about $150.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqUOKi0E0qyt7euzBNeZkvfE0w~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKi0E0qyt7euzBNeZkvfE0w~~_12.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 204

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I like those USB sockets, just never got around to fitting one yet......

what I have fitted is......
Ciggy socket in the glove box - wired to fuse box under glovebox - (for the Boss)
ciggy socket drivers footwell (GPS runs off that one) - wired to ignition
2 x ciggy sockets in back of center console - wired to fuse box under glovebox - (for back seat pass toys)
2 x ciggy sockets & 1 x Engel socket and switch in rear of cargo bay - wired to fuse box on cargo barrier (which also has power for the Amp & Subs)

the 2 fuse boxes are wired to the 2nd battery both with 100A auto resettable circuit breaker
fuse box in the front also has the DVD head rests wired to it

Reactions: Curryhouse

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
So I have decided to bring forward the Dual battery system.
Here are the main components I have decided on (Though I am open to advice & suggestions)
Battery Tray
View attachment 25861
The downside is battery size......only a 60AH to 70AH can be used due to size. Apparently an issue for the 2014 model. For me not an issue as the vehicle would not sit still for 3 to 4 days without being run.

best you head over to this site
http://www.optima-batteries.com.au/optima-battery-trays.html

I was going to suggest one of their batteries for you, and noticed they did trays & hold down clamps......

more food for thought.......??????

Reactions: The Goodwins