Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Exactly, places that sell the exchange bottles are just resellers, the checking etc is done at the gas depot, Elgas etc........the test stamp can be hard to spot on lots of bottles, being smaller than a 10 c coin with a couple of numbers bashed into metal...I don't mind the swaps none of my bottles are ever older than 2 yes which is a far cry from years back.

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Drover , I too have been a little confused at times about the test date. The original 9kg bottle which came with the van is a Manchester and the original test date is clearly visible, so not an issue when getting it refilled at Freddies for $19.95. However, had a reason to swap another bottle for a Swap and Go for $19.74 at Bunnings as a special matching Masters (normally about $24.95)2. Seemed okay until I went to get it refilled at Freddies and I could not see a current test date under all the new paint. At Freddies, I told him of my dilemma that it may be out of test date. Fortunately, he knew where to look and saw some numbers under the paint near the original test date and confirmed it was valid - in fact for another 8 years. But the real interesting part is that when you go to Bunnings (or other places?), they do not even check if the bottle is okay for swap as far as test date is concerned. So I guess that all bottles accepted (whether checked or not) go to the volume refiller and that it is THEIR responsibility to check and certify a recent test date, or else discard or get bottle retested and redated. Somewhere along the line, someone has to certify safe filling/usage, as if a problem occurred, they would carry the can!!
Hi @Boots in Action,
if I remember correctly, initially,with the Swap-n-Go concept, there were a number of prices: presenting an undamaged cylinder still in date, presenting an undamaged cylinder but out of date, not presenting a cylinder.

But that has changed and there seem to be only two prices: presenting an undamaged cylinder or not.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends, found Bunnings will swap out of date but independent swap an go resellers will check them. They possible have a different contract with the gas mob.

The Elgas website has some good info on gas bottles and certainly shoot down the myths.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Drover,
I believe that Swan-N-Go bottles are only filled to 8.5kg. Certainly that is the case for ones from Bunnings which currently cost $23.90.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/elgas-swap-n-go-8-5kg-gas-exchange_p3180180

As for refilling, I usually get more than 9kg of gas, but the last one I got filled had only 8.3kg of gas put in. I still can't complain since I get them filled for $15.00. One was recently filled with 9.4kg of gas.

Bunnings and other Swap-n-Go places will accept out of date cylinders as long as they are undamaged. So I get a long-dated Swap-N-Go and then keep getting it refilled for $15.00 (used to be $12.00) until it is again out of date.

cheers
Mike
Where do you get your fills? Halton Rd Milk Bar in Dandenong Nth is around $15

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Exactly, places that sell the exchange bottles are just resellers, the checking etc is done at the gas depot, Elgas etc........the test stamp can be hard to spot on lots of bottles, being smaller than a 10 c coin with a couple of numbers bashed into metal...I don't mind the swaps none of my bottles are ever older than 2 yes which is a far cry from years back.
Bunnings still have the duty of care. The bottles are located in their possession, and they take the cash, unlock the cage and select he bottle for you. For such a large company with massive OH&S considerations I find it surprising they accept the gas dude just pulling up out the front and chucking some gas bottles in their cage unchecked. No doubt they'll find out eventually, because with the quality of the repainted bottle getting progressively worse somethings bound to happen

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Depends, found Bunnings will swap out of date but independent swap an go resellers will check them. They possible have a different contract with the gas mob.

The Elgas website has some good info on gas bottles and certainly shoot down the myths.
Hi @Drover,
that is useful information. I would have assumed they were all the same. I will check the Wollies and Coles petrol outlets next time I go in.

Then again, it will now be another 7-8 years before either of my present cylinders are out of date!

cheers
Mike
Where do you get your fills? Halton Rd Milk Bar in Dandenong Nth is around $15
Hi @Crusty181,
yep, that is where we go. Used to go to the United Servo near there but they put their prices up significantly last year.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never found an out of date one yet and I doubt the Gas Supplier would make such a costly mistake. Have heard many with a mates, brothers, cousin who knew a friend, who's mothers uncle knew someone who got a bottle that was out of date.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Bunnings still have the duty of care. The bottles are located in their possession, and they take the cash, unlock the cage and select he bottle for you. For such a large company with massive OH&S considerations I find it surprising they accept the gas dude just pulling up out the front and chucking some gas bottles in their cage unchecked. No doubt they'll find out eventually, because with the quality of the repainted bottle getting progressively worse somethings bound to happen
Hi @Crusty181 , I agree with you on that. As long as it is NOT one of my bottles!!! I am like @mikerezny , I like to keep the bottle I know as I know how it is looked after. Just keep getting the same one that you know filled. When I get one from any other source, if it has a long validity, I keep getting that one filled until it needs to be checked and then I swap it for another with a recent date check. Saves buying a new one.

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thing is when on the road around the place, a refill can cost you heaps more than a swap and go, earlier this year I swapped 2 bottles, one still had about a quarter left but 2 bottles swapped for $40 was way better than one bottle refilled in a country town for $41. I was west of the divide free camping so using plenty of gas........the gas app is a good guide for finding places with friendly pricing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Enough of this gas stuff anyway........

Heading to Fraser, Double Island Point well don't expect to run all the way up the beach from Noosa, the weather has chopped the beach away at Mudlo Rocks, the beach further up might be hairy as well, expect some floaties this weekend as the idiots attempt to swim their vehicles.
That's the beach drive from Double Island to Rainbow Beach.....sand us nice and hard though. IMG_20171020_111916.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thing is when on the road around the place, a refill can cost you heaps more than a swap and go, earlier this year I swapped 2 bottles, one still had about a quarter left but 2 bottles swapped for $40 was way better than one bottle refilled in a country town for $41. I was west of the divide free camping so using plenty of gas........the gas app is a good guide for finding places with friendly pricing.

Good warning there @Drover about refilling gas bottles verses a swap n go type. That is how you lose the good bottle you have been husbanding for a while and take your chances on somebody else's reconditioned bottle. Good thing to consider for our future travel.

Safe travel and good fishing/rest in your travel along the beach. Does your tug float?? And what about "big Mal" too?? Cheers

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
more on its wat @Drove, how come you miss out all the time, we had close to 500mm ??
Yes @DRW, but you were not out on the range!! Glad I only had the threat of only 250mm to worry about. Hopefully, you were not affected too much as I understand that you had record breaking rainfall for that period (highest since 1942??) and there is more to come too! That is a lot of rain in such a short period, no matter how you look at it!!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
more on its wat @Drove, how come you miss out all the time, we had close to 500mm ??

It seems to come near but then runs along the ridge and heads north, just lucky, nearly got to 200mm, did your creek run a banker ????

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
The creek came up a couple of weeks ago when we had 400+mm, last week only came up a bit, go figure??? Its pooring now, they asy we'll get 50mm but I don't think so, but, its put the house behing a couple of weeks, nothing happens quickly in Burrum that's for sure :frusty:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh bugger on the house @DRW, got rain today but just drizzle, watching the V8s on the shed tele while I do stuff... Need a hand or anything just yell out.