Exterior gas bayonet fitting

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Told us on the starcraft front only. First one was like that second came with at the rear. I like it moved a bit further back so will do that and add an isolating cock.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@Ligedy do you make the hoses up? Ideally I would love a 3 m bayonet hose with a pol female on the end. Then I could leave the std hose in the weber for use with a gas bottle but also run of the van. Is this possible?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
yes, I am thinking of getting a Gas Fitter to move mine, to a more easier accessible spot, and maybe put another in at the back of the Van..........

@bigcol I notice Kedron use a wall plate gas bayonet and mount there's flush into the checker plate . I have one of the plates but not sure about drilling any more holes for now.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
thats similar to what I was thinking........
plenty of room between chassis and side of van
plenty of room between floor and bottom edge of the van.......

preference would be just a "hole" in the side of the Van, that I can just plug the Gas line into....

still thinking of a viable neat finish way of doing it.........

might have to have a closer look at those Kedrons
(first time I saw one I thought it was the guys name in BIG letters across the back............. I'm in WA remember...........:behindsofa:)

Reactions: dagree and achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
This is like the one I have. The bayonet fitting has a locking screw behind the plate. If the checker plate was a bit stronger you could flange it through but it's too thin I think.

image.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
@Ligedy do you make the hoses up? Ideally I would love a 3 m bayonet hose with a pol female on the end. Then I could leave the std hose in the weber for use with a gas bottle but also run of the van. Is this possible?

Not possible @achjimmy ...
You'd end up with two regulators on the gas supply to your weber (one at your caravan bottle(s ) then the one on the std weber POL hose after the extension....)

Then legally and technically an extension hose of that make up will not comply with Australian Standards / gas regs either for various reasons...

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks @Ligedy . Yeah I thought I might be sailing close to the wind but never thought the two regs would be a problem.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Jim. I purchased two quick gas connectors from Bunnings. Not sure they still sell them.
The male end goes on the webber permanently.
The female quick connector goes on the end of the normal gas hose that came with the weber (with regulator) so you can use a portable cylinder and plug in the hose.
The second female connector on the end of my three metre hose and again - just plugs straight onto the weber.
(I also have a plain gas ring burner which I used the spare male end for).
They look like this (not my setup I just found an image on the web):

PIO_0123.jpg

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
I just dropped our 17.56.1 off for its first service and asked for an additional bayonet to be installed at the rear. I was told this was "illegal" and would not comply. This drew attention to the fact that the existing bayonet is under the area covered by the awning (and the annexe) which apparently is also "illegal". So now have they are moving the front bayonet further forward to the frame just in front of the drop down leg. This position is to provide ease of access while protecting the fitting from road grime etc. This is being treated as a warranty issue.

Is this consistent with other's experience? If there is an issue with the factory placement should there be a recall? Or is this part of the recent changes to gas standards? It seems like others on here have had a second bayonet installed I can't see any advantage for the dealer to turn down work?...

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I just dropped our 17.56.1 off for its first service and asked for an additional bayonet to be installed at the rear. I was told this was "illegal" and would not comply. This drew attention to the fact that the existing bayonet is under the area covered by the awning (and the annexe) which apparently is also "illegal". So now have they are moving the front bayonet further forward to the frame just in front of the drop down leg. This position is to provide ease of access while protecting the fitting from road grime etc. This is being treated as a warranty issue.

Is this consistent with other's experience? If there is an issue with the factory placement should there be a recall? Or is this part of the recent changes to gas standards? It seems like others on here have had a second bayonet installed I can't see any advantage for the dealer to turn down work?...
Sounds viable to me. Ive head similar information about placement. Ive not yet heard of a fitting being moved under warranty to comply.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay

I am waiting for a response from the Gas Inspectorate in QLD. Note that other states (commonly WA and VIC) have additional requirements so it's best to ask your local gas inspectorate.

However in the first instance I don't see how it is "illegal" and there is no mention of this - in regards to installation requirements, maximum number of outlets, etc of quick-couplings (bayonets) - in 'AS5602:2013 Gas installations Part 2: LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes'.

I can see how manufacturers could view this as a safer option (to protect certain breeds of human from themselves) - whether it's part of a industry initiative or code of practice - I'm not sure. As you mentioned - if it were illegal they shouldn't have issued a gas certificate when it left the factory, or should now be a recall for all vans manufactured the same since the time of the rule change.

The flue however, for fridges and how water systems, have had rules in place since 1992 regarding the placement of the flue - i.e. not to be placed where an annex or awning roof is installed, unless the roofed area is open on two sides. The Standard requires the flue terminal to be located in an outdoor position that allows the products of combustion to readily disperse and not cause a nuisance. Annex makers need to comply with it as well - as we've heard some won't make annexes the way you want if the flue is on the annex side...

HWS and fridges are different to BBQ's - BBQs, stoves and portable heaters are considered to be attended appliances - that is they are operated manually and are only turned on when being used. Attended appliances must have adequate ventilation for correct operation. i.e. two sides of a full annex open or under a awning is sufficient, as is an annex with the required amount of window or unrestricted openings.

I will update when the QLD gas inspectors sends me a response.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I am waiting for a response from the Gas Inspectorate in QLD. Note that other states (commonly WA and VIC) have additional requirements so it's best to ask your local gas inspectorate.

QLD Regional Petroleum and Gas Inspector's response copied and pasted below:

"The AS5601 states the bayonet connection cannot be installed inside a caravan.

2.13 QUICK-CONNECT DEVICES

2.13.1 General

A quick-connect device shall be installed so as to avoid entry of water, dust or other debris.

2.13.2 Restriction on installation A quick-connect device socket shall not be installed inside a caravan or boat.

This link might be useful as well. http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/gas-appliance-flues-rv-with-annex.htm"

Reactions: achjimmy

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Not sure if anyone else has found an issue with using their Bayonet. I have a factory fitted bayonet on the rear of my 2013 17.56-2 OB, and connect my Weber Q 220 to it. I notice that is struggles to get up to temperature and the slightest breeze drops the temp significantly. (ie to under 150deg.)When I connect the Weber directly to the bottle, I have no problems at all. Im guessing there is significant pressure drop between the bottle and the Bayonet fitting on the rear.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle

However in the first instance I don't see how it is "illegal" and there is no mention of this - in regards to installation requirements, maximum number of outlets, etc of quick-couplings (bayonets) - in 'AS5602:2013 Gas installations Part 2: LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes'.

I can see how manufacturers could view this as a safer option (to protect certain breeds of human from themselves) - whether it's part of a industry initiative or code of practice - I'm not sure. As you mentioned - if it were illegal they shouldn't have issued a gas certificate when it left the factory, or should now be a recall for all vans manufactured the same since the time of the rule change.

The flue however, for fridges and how water systems, have had rules in place since 1992 regarding the placement of the flue - i.e. not to be placed where an annex or awning roof is installed, unless the roofed area is open on two sides. The Standard requires the flue terminal to be located in an outdoor position that allows the products of combustion to readily disperse and not cause a nuisance. Annex makers need to comply with it as well - as we've heard some won't make annexes the way you want if the flue is on the annex side...

HWS and fridges are different to BBQ's - BBQs, stoves and portable heaters are considered to be attended appliances - that is they are operated manually and are only turned on when being used. Attended appliances must have adequate ventilation for correct operation. i.e. two sides of a full annex open or under a awning is sufficient, as is an annex with the required amount of window or unrestricted openings.

Great post @Ligedy. Clear advice and very informative. Thanks.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Not sure if anyone else has found an issue with using their Bayonet. I have a factory fitted bayonet on the rear of my 2013 17.56-2 OB, and connect my Weber Q 220 to it. I notice that is struggles to get up to temperature and the slightest breeze drops the temp significantly. (ie to under 150deg.)When I connect the Weber directly to the bottle, I have no problems at all. Im guessing there is significant pressure drop between the bottle and the Bayonet fitting on the rear.

@Soaring our weber has worked alright of the rear bayonet point. But I have noticed Jayco has done ours in 5/16"/8mm not 3/8"/10mm which would be my preference if I was doing it.

Reactions: Soaring