Exterior gas bayonet fitting

Willo

Oct 19, 2014
I have the external gas bayonet fitting on the van and a coleman "even temp" 3 burner cooker.
Apparently the cooker has an inbuilt regulator so will not work off the bayonet fitting.

Can anyone confirm this is the case or (hopefully) know a way around it?
Cheers!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looking at a video of its operation, it appears that it does have an inbuilt regulator. While it can use a normal gas bottle, it connects with a supplied hose to an unusual connection, used in other circumstances with a Coleman disposable bottle.

Maybe one of our gas techs could offer an explanation or a work around.

The video is here.

Reactions: Willo

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
You will not regret purchasing a Webber @Willo . We have the baby Q with a high lid and temperature gauge and it is great. Meat turns out perfectly moist and a lovely smokey flavour. If fact, Mr. W. has ours primed, ready to cook our sausages for tonight's dinner, nom nom nom :hungry:

Reactions: Axl and Bellbirdweb

Arkraider

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
@axl that three metre gas extension sounds like a bit of a winner for keeping the gas bottle on the van, which I made the mistake of exchanging one day. Can you let me know who I might need to make enquiries with. Thanks mate...

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
@axl that three metre gas extension sounds like a bit of a winner for keeping the gas bottle on the van, which I made the mistake of exchanging one day. Can you let me know who I might need to make enquiries with. Thanks mate...

@Arkraider his forum name is @Ligedy here is his Ebay page http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Q-...ltDomain_15&hash=item4d2d2df5a5#ht_790wt_1362 but contact him throught this forum and he can do a better deal I believe.

This hose is specifically for a Weber and won’t fit anything else as it is SAE thread.

Mark8

Jan 4, 2015
Geelong
where does the extra external gas fitting come out from? if its the front near the bottles, how will it work with the new gas bottle enclosure?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
where does the extra external gas fitting come out from? if its the front near the bottles, how will it work with the new gas bottle enclosure?

@Mark8 if your van doesn’t already have an external gas bayonet fitted you can get a gas tech to put it anywhere you want, front or back. I had mine installed at the front of my Expanda as I like to cook under the front porch that goes into my anti flap bars.

Reactions: bigcol

Mark8

Jan 4, 2015
Geelong
We actually ordered our first van today off a mate that works at Jayco. He said I want it and through it in. I never thought till I got home, where it was on the van. haha

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
We actually ordered our first van today off a mate that works at Jayco. He said I want it and through it in. I never thought till I got home, where it was on the van. haha

My dad’s was factory installed and it is near the front of his Discovery, its horses for courses I suppose. My Expanda only has the one bed that comes out the back so cooking up the front made sense to me. I had the bayonet installed about 300mm back from the front of the van this allowing me to get out under the front porch and with the three meter hose if the weather is bad I can move the Baby Q under the main awning.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I asked for mine at the rear, but they put it inside the chassis and it was almost impossible to get too.

I got them to move it to a spot that I could reach, and the factory covered the cost to move it.

I purchased my hose from the local Weber dealer.

Mark8

Jan 4, 2015
Geelong
Ok, they mentioned that they will get together with us before the build date to confirm things. maybe they give us the fitment option then.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I asked for mine at the rear, but they put it inside the chassis and it was almost impossible to get too.

I got them to move it to a spot that I could reach, and the factory covered the cost to move it.

I purchased my hose from the local Weber dealer.
Mines inside the chassis too and right next to the metal plate protecting the water tank and I sliced my thumb on the plate .

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Arkraider his forum name is @Ligedy here is his Ebay page http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Weber-Q-...ltDomain_15&hash=item4d2d2df5a5#ht_790wt_1362 but contact him throught this forum and he can do a better deal I believe.

This hose is specifically for a Weber and won’t fit anything else as it is SAE thread.
I got my 3m hose from a hose and fitting supplier in Newport and I don't have a webber we have a twin Ziegler and brown works a treat I liked the twin burners cooks well with lid open for barbis cooks roasts good too but better cooking lid down

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Mine came supplied with the bayonet at the back (And luckily on the outside unlike some) which gets used when no annexe walls attached.... Fitted an extra one on the front a-frame which gets used when the gazebo is setup out the front. 3 metre hose was purchased from BBQ's Galore who are a weber agent here in WA.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my bayonet point is just in front of the steps, on the outside of the chassis - still a pain in the ..... to connect

I brought my 3mt hose from Umbrella World (go figure) they are a Webber dealer as well
then I found out that @Ligedy on here made them...... DOH

"should have read more of the forum posts first me thinks.........."

Reactions: dagree and Ligedy

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I don't have an annexe so I use my rear bayonet 90% of time - because I can set up right next to my fold down tables... and it's out of the way of the front door if you need to swing the bbq under the awning if its raining...

I installed my own additional bayonet on the front but typically only use when the view is too good to miss out on when staring over the lid of the weber with beer in hand.

FWIW - if you buy new, get Jayco to install it at the rear (in a good accessible location - mine is on the chassis rail behind the rear mud guard). This way it is easier and cheaper to install an additional bayonet on the front if you ever want it (i.e. less copper to run and less effort for yourself or a gas fitter). When I bought our panda they didn't charge more or less if you nominated it at either end...

Cheers

Pac1977

Feb 19, 2012
Seems the trend lately from the factory is to install then inside the chassis near the front. Mine and a couple of other I have seen recently is about a third of the way down the van. Kind of awkward to get to and nearly useless if you have a annex.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes, I am thinking of getting a Gas Fitter to move mine, to a more easier accessible spot, and maybe put another in at the back of the Van..........