Electrical Fridge Fan

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I love number one, the twin fans mounted to the wall vent .... but the price scares me. I made a similar unit in the last van by cable tying a single $10 eBay computer fan to the rear of the upper factory vent ... that had a bonus, it also glowed blue when it was on. Fan was still working after 5 years when I sold the van

Jaycar Electronics stock the thermo switches if you want to automate it

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I have just installed two computer fans as the bench top was heating up. Copied the idea from others here. At the moment they are cable tied to the vent. I installed a switch inside and a 50deg thermo switch from Jaycar, $20 for 4 fans from ebay and $6 for thermo switch. Installed last Wednesday and using it now, is working very well.
image.jpg image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My thread has how I did my set up, just need one or two old computer fans (out of old power supplies or $10 each), a thermo switch ($4.95) some cable and clips, not all that hard to do at all and certainly not as overpriced as those units you tagged. Parts readily available at Jaycar .
If your bench top is heating up then you need to get in from behind the fridge, thru the vent and stuff the gap between top of fridge and bench with insulation then make a baffle so the air comes in the bottom vent, thru the cooling fins and is directed straight out the upper vent, this is where the fans help, if the back of fridge is open then the fridge wasn't fitted correctly in the first place and all gaps need to be sealed, the fins should be no more than 25mm from the wall and the air flow should be directly passing thru the fins to the outside, this is where the fans help if you have gaps everywhere it's not going to work to max effeciency.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
i just fitted number 1 . expensive but it is both frames the outside louver and the inside frame that screws to the van with the 2 fans mounted to that.
seems to work great but you'll still need to get a thermostat to suit

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@mfexpanda I was tempted to get your fan vent ...... but the cost poo poo'ed that idea. But with work etc Im starting waiver a little back toward it. It looks like a very neat unit

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have been wanting to do this to my latest van, so will watch this thread a bit. I am after the cheap but effective option.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I ran 2 of theses http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARTIC-F1...28?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item567128f2ac mounted to a bit of perspex and one of theses http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pcs-Tem...17?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45ff0ac8fd screwed and glued (with thermal paste) to the fins at the top.
Worked perfect I did take pics, will try and find them.
Where did you mount the perspex. @mfexpanda's factory fan was mounted horizontal half way up the back of the fridge. Do the thermo switches need to be in contact with a heat source, or will they activate on ambient temperature. (I think Ive typed the word "ambient" about 350 times in the last few weeks)

Would the evaporator fins be higher than 40oC most of the time?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My thermo switch is a 70c unit and the fins spend most of the time at or above that temp, if you mount it like I did it is just so easy but if you want to have it to be on just air temp then you would need to mount it where it gets the airflow after passing thru the fins, sounds like a lot of unneccessary work to me. Jaycar for $4 same day purchase not a 3 week wait for china post.

Mine is mounted on the ammonia pipe as it's very bloody hot, fins would be cooler by a small bit I suppose

switch02-jpg.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and with using a spring clip it will hang off the pipe or the fins..

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Where did you mount the perspex. @mfexpanda's factory fan was mounted horizontal half way up the back of the fridge. Do the thermo switches need to be in contact with a heat source, or will they activate on ambient temperature. (I think Ive typed the word "ambient" about 350 times in the last few weeks)

@Crusty181 the factory thermo switch is on the the bottom tube just near the heat source on ours

Reactions: Crusty181

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A

I cant find my pics, they must be on my old phone. Using this random pic of the web.
I pulled the fridge out and glued the peice of perspex to the back of the vent surround, sealing it. this prevents the fans from just sucking air back in from around it self through the top vent like the below pic would. I used a hole saw and cut 2 holes (100mm I think) and mounted the fans on the inside. see the row of fins in the pic, I mounted my thermo switch on the far right fin. On a 30c day I think it would cut in for 15-20 min every hour, I think I heard it cut in twice at night, this was 2 years ago so I could be wrong but they would run well less than 50% of the time
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad336/farm59/HeatDeflecter.jpg