16' Series (First) Service of 16.49-3 OB

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,

After our recent trip away and during our previous trips, we'd noted a few issues that Jayco need to address under warranty. Our plan was to make a list and get them done at the same time, when we had time.
After the most recent trip, I was washing the van and found both side windows had cracked at the top LHS below the hinge for about 40-80mm - another one for the list.
I called in at our local Jayco dealer today (where we purchased from) to book it in for repair and was asked how many KM's we'd done since pickup.
When I told him it was about 7,000, he said that we had missed the first service and technically had voided our warranty. I was none too impressed to hear that I can tell you.
He said he would honour the warranty and carry out the 2nd service when we brought it in.
Now technically the van is fine "service" wise, it's just the warranty issues I really want dealt with.
Sounds like we're going to be OK anyway, but it's something to watch out for if that's how Jayco play their game!
Anyway, we're booked in now, close to the end of Jan 2015, so we've got time to add to the list :)

To those of you who have had your Expandas serviced, what do they actually do?

Cheers,
Paul

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi All,

After our recent trip away and during our previous trips, we'd noted a few issues that Jayco need to address under warranty. Our plan was to make a list and get them done at the same time, when we had time.
After the most recent trip, I was washing the van and found both side windows had cracked at the top LHS below the hinge for about 40-80mm - another one for the list.
I called in at our local Jayco dealer today (where we purchased from) to book it in for repair and was asked how many KM's we'd done since pickup.
When I told him it was about 7,000, he said that we had missed the first service and technically had voided our warranty. I was none too impressed to hear that I can tell you.
He said he would honour the warranty and carry out the 2nd service when we brought it in.
Now technically the van is fine "service" wise, it's just the warranty issues I really want dealt with.
Sounds like we're going to be OK anyway, but it's something to watch out for if that's how Jayco play their game!
Anyway, we're booked in now, close to the end of Jan 2015, so we've got time to add to the list :)

Cheers,
Paul
Hello Paul

Did he say you missed the first service by time or kms travelled?

I believe it can take months to book in for service with some dealers, so what do they expect?

Regards
Terry

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi Paul, that is crap or you seem to have a dodgy dealer.
We told our dealer that we would be doing a long trip just after we purchased our van, ended up being 11,000km.
They were so booked up that we couldn't get ours in for its first service until the van was 14 months old, booked it in when it was just on one year though, just a very long queue. We did notify them at the time of booking about warranty issues we wanted addressed. Had no issues.
Thanks @Marv_mart,
We had a similar situation - a long trip straight after pickup. It wouldn't have been that way if they delivered the van on time when they were supposed to 3 months prior!!! Our plan was to a do a few short trips to get it settled etc, get a service and then hit the road for 6,000km.
@yabbietol - they never mentioned time factor, just asked about KM travelled. They are honouring it so we're all good, and I can tell you if they decided otherwise, there would be trouble :mad2:

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Going by personal experience i reckon it pays to-look for an authorised jayco repairer outside of a dealers service centre!
That way you get someone who wants the business and the only issues I have experienced is a hold up from the factory itself!

Oh! And no 6 month waiting list!

Call jayco hq and they well give you a list of certified repairers in your area!

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thanks @Marv_mart,
We had a similar situation - a long trip straight after pickup. It wouldn't have been that way if they delivered the van on time when they were supposed to 3 months prior!!! Our plan was to a do a few short trips to get it settled etc, get a service and then hit the road for 6,000km.
@yabbietol - they never mentioned time factor, just asked about KM travelled. They are honouring it so we're all good, and I can tell you if they decided otherwise, there would be trouble :mad2:

So I wonder what is the km limit before your first service is? If there is one?

Your dealer sounds full of it.

Good they honoured your warranty. Well done standing up to them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What a w#### !!!!!!! Did they note down the reading on the oddometer on your van, I think not............I would have said How many Kms do you want, I do believe there was a recall on dodgy windows anyway, someone mentioned it on here, will see what I can find. I hate dealers or should I say salesman who think they are mechanics.
Good question though, just what does happen for a service ????
When I get back from a rumble across country, mine gets a good tubs with polish, tyre check, bearing check, good squiz underneath for hits by goolies, check the U bolts (single axle scares me if it falls off), grease hitch and rotate the Trigg unit, check battery and look for anything loose.
By the time I have that covered and service the Jeeperific I'm ready to roll again.............I luv retirement, 2 week turn around .
Sorry got carried away again...............................

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
Jayco Bayswater wants my van for first service only after 500km because I'm doing a 2500km trip in Jan. I'm also interested in what they will do for the $250. I thought it would be just an inspection and for free! :noidea:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
my 1756-2 is in now dropped of on Saturday micro nuke doesn't heat anything , pop top out of line , aircon leaking into van through the remote sensor , hatch locks not locking , bottom bunk bed not flat , just to name a few

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Australian consumer law does not recognise any time or km limitations.

It's a matter of being fit for purpose for a reasonable time.

Reactions: Barra

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Cheers,
Paul

Haven't had it done @S&P but from memory the list for the first (3 Month) service was just checking all appliances/lights etc work, check wheel nuts/brake adjustment and a general looking over.

The second (12 Month) service was as above but they check brakes, bearings etc and maybe a few other things.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Jayco Bayswater wants my van for first service only after 500km because I'm doing a 2500km trip in Jan. I'm also interested in what they will do for the $250. I thought it would be just an inspection and for free! :noidea:
Jayco dealer here in Adl did my first service for free.
They then charged for an annual service after our second big trip and gave me a checklist of everything they did.
Still have that on my desk in the spare room. I asked especially to check bearings, change anode, check all gas fittings and hose and elec connections. Turns out that this is all part of their annual service.
Can list them if you like or just add pic.
image.jpg

Last edited:

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
my 1756-2 is in now dropped of on Saturday micro nuke doesn't heat anything , pop top out of line , aircon leaking into van through the remote sensor , hatch locks not locking , bottom bunk bed not flat , just to name a few
@Bluey - we too have an air con leak into the cabin and pop-top out of line among others. Will be interested to see what they do to re-align the pop-top.Never tried our microwave and actually thinking to take it out and put a cupboard door on there instead!

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Jayco dealer here in Adl did my first service for free.
They then charged for an annual service after our second big trip and gave me a checklist of everything they did.
Still have that on my desk in the spare room. I asked especially to check bearings, change anode, check all gas fittings and hose and elec connections. Turns out that this is all part of their annual service.
Can list them if you like or just add pic.
View attachment 28057
This is the kind of thing that sh!ts me about getting a car serviced, and now the exact same thing with the Expanda - all they seem to do is 'inspect' things - not a great deal of actual service/mechanical work goes on. For $250 I'd expect a bit more action, those listed are things a first year apprentice can do with the manual in his hand, yet you still need to wait 3 months form the time of booking to the time it goes in, and probable;y still takes them a few days to accomplish FFS!!!
I think I'll be seeking alternatives to the dealer as @hamish22 suggested.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
This is the kind of thing that sh!ts me about getting a car serviced, and now the exact same thing with the Expanda - all they seem to do is 'inspect' things - not a great deal of actual service/mechanical work goes on. For $250 I'd expect a bit more action, those listed are things a first year apprentice can do with the manual in his hand, yet you still need to wait 3 months form the time of booking to the time it goes in, and probable;y still takes them a few days to accomplish FFS!!!
I think I'll be seeking alternatives to the dealer as @hamish22 suggested.
I bought my van from a dealer outside my area as I won't deal with the local dealer and due to that went in search of a local authorised servicer/repairer.
Ended up being recommended one by @Burnsy and couldn't"t be happier.

1st service quoted by jayco service centre was $250.
1st service through authorised private services/repairer $110

Couldn't be happier!

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So a call to Jayco HQ yielded sweet FA. The girl in the service dept I spoke with says they have only the dealers listed as service/warranty agents. The HQ service centre is busy, but they are going to see if they can fit me in - will see if I get a call back!

A quick google search tells me otherwise when it comes to Jayco authorised non-dealer service agents -
http://www.advantagecaravanrepairs.com.au/index.php
http://www.mobilecaravanservices.com.au/index.html

To be honest Ive not been that happy with our dealership, but will give the HQ service dept a chance for these first warranty issues, but may well look at the alternatives above down the track.

Would be interested to hear any feedback on the above or any other Melbourne (Eastern side preferred) authorised Jayco service/warranty agents.

Looking at the paperwork that came with our Expanda, the first service to be done at 1,000km is $220 for single axle, $250 for tandem. Second service at 10,000km is $300 for single axle, $330 for tandem.

Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
So a call to Jayco HQ yielded sweet FA. The girl in the service dept I spoke with says they have only the dealers listed as service/warranty agents. The HQ service centre is busy, but they are going to see if they can fit me in - will see if I get a call back!

A quick google search tells me otherwise when it comes to Jayco authorised non-dealer service agents -
http://www.advantagecaravanrepairs.com.au/index.php
http://www.mobilecaravanservices.com.au/index.html

To be honest Ive not been that happy with our dealership, but will give the HQ service dept a chance for these first warranty issues, but may well look at the alternatives above down the track.

Would be interested to hear any feedback on the above or any other Melbourne (Eastern side preferred) authorised Jayco service/warranty agents.

Looking at the paperwork that came with our Expanda, the first service to be done at 1,000km is $220 for single axle, $250 for tandem. Second service at 10,000km is $300 for single axle, $330 for tandem.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello Paul
Thanks for the info. on recommended service Kms and prices, really useful.

That 1000km for first service is interesting.
I will be picking up my van from Sydney dealer 300Km away so by the time I pick up my van and take it back for the first service I will have done 600km, leaving me 400Km for travel before the first service. I guess Jayco will have to be flexible on the first service kms.

I do have a local dealer, but I think at least the first service with the dealer I bought the van from is the simplest option if something is not right. After that maybe my local dealer or authorised service agent.

It looks like the best thing would be to book in my first service in Sydney when I pick up my new van.

Regards
Terry

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Personally what I did was book in my Expanda and Hawk before the Expanda for its first service not long after ordering them. That way it eliminated the waiting time once I was ready for the 1st service.

It was around a month after pick up as I knew it would be due by then. :)

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Strange how some will be helpful and some won't!

Hello Paul
I will be picking up my van from Sydney dealer 300Km away so by the time I pick up my van and take it back for the first service I will have done 600km, leaving me 400Km for travel before the first service. I guess Jayco will have to be flexible on the first service kms.
Bought my van through Jayco Sydney, great bunch of people.
If their servicing is as good as their staff you are on a winner.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So the call did come from Jayco HQ Service Dept - they can't fit me in until Feb. I'll tough it out wt the dealer bookingin late Jan 2015, gives me more time to find oter issues and get them fixed at the same time!
Depending on their level of service service as to how it plays out for the following scheduled services.

@cruza driver where do you/did you get's yours serviced?