Drovers New Horse - RG Colorado

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They HOT because the dealer burns you and then the Mechanic burns you there after ????.................my Nissan mate reckons that but then he did have a 3lt diesel.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here it is boys and girls with it's shed on the back.....

ute01.jpg ..............................................
ute03.jpg

.........ute02.jpg

So the build so far:
Fitted......Trailer plug, Brake controller fitted,UHF radio and aerial, Cam for van, dash cam, GPS so the cab is fitted with the basics and the shed is bolted down.

Next up battery box under tray, micro switches on shed doors for interior LEDs and LEDs on doors also, might even run a wire to a led on dash to show if a doors open when I drive off.
Priority on setting the "Yak Rak" on top somehow, think I might have to buy a rail for the cab, they are damn expensive so may see about fabing one up, I wonder if I could Sikaflex the old one on ??????

Must order from Brash Imports a new 90deg cam for back of Ute can't see where the back of the damn thing is and those far away mirrors don't help.
Sometime before I go away next will have it on the ramps so I can Gurney the bottom and then give it a good spray with Goop to kill noise and keep the evil rust away. Goop is what underbody paints I have in shed all mixed together with turps/diesel and put in spray gun, works a treat.

Eventually will sort out some sort of system in the back but will leave that for a couple of trips to see what would work and also a chance to pinch great ideas from others....

Other than a trip to Dan Murphys I'll be in my shed for the next week and it will be.......................................FUN....

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
brilliant rig mate. Could I ask about your UHF install? Model/location etc... I'm still debating the remote face, or controls in the handset style to see which might work better. Where did you tap in for power?

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Smergen, my UHF is a full size job and is a pain to install, if I could I would get one of the remote jobs, just use silastic to stick the main unit under the seat and the small remote unit would fit nicely in front of the shifter.
I've fitted the same aerial a stainless whip off the bullbar and ran the cable in thru the floor grommet on the passenger side, I picked up power from the 12v cable I ran direct from the battery for the brake unit, easier and the radio is actually mounted on the side of the console passenger side had to screw it on but if Santa brings me a new radio I can plug the holes up with similar coloured plugs.

So get one of those GME remote face jobs better than the controls on the handpiece units, had one in a truck once and it was a pain to use as you always had to look at thing to make sure you hit the right button, where the others it's just a glance.

Reactions: bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks for the feedback mate and the tips. The remote face was kinda of where I was leaning as well. Just need to snaffle a good unit and aerial deal.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Smergen , there's some good deals around for the UHF's I like the GME for durability but the Uniden aren't bad except for their handhelds but you need to research as the prices can vary by $100 for the same unit, you don't need a $150 aerial for a UHF either mine was about $30 with cable, 7db gain and works well if you really need long range then you don't want UHF.
aerial.jpg like real estate location, location makes the difference.

@bigcol, wait to you see my ladder creation, it will be great..only planning stage as it's about Phase 4 of the build. YAK Rak has been constructed and fitted, rubber flooring in the shed, just need some power for the fridge to be run and we are ready for basic camping.
Rod Carriers are floating to the top of the must do list now...............

God I need a camera for the back, shopping centre car parks are hell.

I tell you Gents, stash your dollars away, don't waste it on Must have, Keep Up with the Jone's crap, only spend it on needed stuff, like fishing gear etc.....because you need a GOAL to retire early , I have done to this vehicle in 3 days what I would have needed a month when I was working and thats burning some oil in the shed at night...............................Now Beer Oçlock is 4, shut down shed spend time with the bride and it is great...........that is not to gloat but to make you young fellas look at something that will happen very quickly, it will sneak up, plan now fellas or miss the boat.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha @bigcol, you only see the finished product, I don't show the stuff ups, like today put the modified Yak Rak on, bolted down, sealed up, all looking good after ginning around measuring and trying to line up things, then I saw it.................................one of the damn rails was the wrong way round, the curved end was wrong....Whats the problem ? says the bride, Who will see it ??.....I will, I will know it's there....so I pulled the bloody thing apart and redid it..............................................now I'm not a Dot the T's or I's fella and cut most corners...but sometimes.......then I knocked my beer over in the back so it's partly Christened..................lol,lol.
Have a pleasant evening..........................in the shed early.......Nindigully in a couple of weeks, need Rod raks....................