Coastrunners 14.4.2 Expanda

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi People.

I`ve had my new Expanda for around 6 months and have hardly used it. I never seem to get the chance. With two teenage sons that play rugby League on weekends, one working each Sunday while I do shift work all over the place with the wife working full time, there just never seems to be a weekend where we all line up and have the same days off. So with the wife away from work, and myself on a few days off, I asked the boys if they were prepared to have a day off school and go away in the van. You wouldn`t believe it. They were happy to have a day off school and sneak off on a mini holiday in the Panda.

We drove all the way from Kiama to Gerroa. {Around 15 minutes} So straight from school Tuesday arvo, arrived at around 4:30 and all set up by 5pm. The Takeaway shop over the road fed us dinner so that was easy. A few southern & cokes after dinner looking over the river, a great sleep followed by a walk along seven mile beach, another along the river, hit the hamburger joint again for lunch then a late check out at 3pm to get us home and unpacked within the hour.

While sitting under my awning looking over the river after spending some time at the beach really made me wonder why I spend so many hours driving up and down the coast for holidays in our van. We even picked up an Ensuite Powered Site. Very nice.

I give this little park full points. Seven Mile Beach Caravan Park Gerroa. Nice & Relaxing.

Short walk to Beach, River, Take away shop, pool, jumping pillow, nice camp kitchen and Ammenities. Great staff too.

Anyway it was great to wipe the cobwebs off and finally get away in the van. photo-15.JPGphoto-14.JPGphoto-16.JPGphoto-17.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Stan.

I chose the 14 footer because I like something easy and light to tow. Like yourself I have teenage boys 16 and 14.

As much as I love my boys, I`ve decided that it would be better if I bought two large stretcher beds and put them in the annexe that I`m about to order.

As you can see in my last pic I have placed a folding stretcher bed outside. I did this to see if two would easily fit in the annexe of the 14 footer and they do.

So I think it`s now the perfect family set up. Mum and Dad inside the van and those smelly teenaged messy grubs in the annexe in their own bedroom.

I usually take one of those folding 3m x 3m gazebos as our dining area and beer garden.

Am very happy with the 14.4.2.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Gee you have done well to have teenagers of that age wanting to sleep into the caravan with you.
My tribe require a tent.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Yeh, they usually sleep in a tent, but got rained out a couple of times. They want to sleep in the annexe where there`s less chance of rain penetrating.
Although, I`m sure once I`ve spent $2000 on getting an annexe made up they`ll tell me that they`ll be sleeping in the tent again.
If that happens I`ll still be happy to have an annexe for the little family/ storage room anyway.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I guess the only down side is that it will be harder to do over-nighters if you have to set up the annex each time.
I hope My kids still want to come with us when they are that old.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
True, but when your kids are this big they can set the annexe up for you. So while I'm inside setting up the beds, the boys can be outside setting up the annexe. In saying that, I think these days annexes don't take any longer than most tents to set up. Gone are the days where I had to construct a little house frame from various tent pole contraptions. Now It's around one minute to set the awning up, then it's only a matter of sliding and clipping 3 walls on each side then a few pegs. As I said, probably the same time to set up a dome tent but higher, longer, wider and more convenient.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks like a nice quick trip away. We also do alot of one night trips and enjoy just getting away, thanks for taking the time to post up your trip :thumb:

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Absolutely true Stan.

Scientific surveys have found that people with the 14 foot Expanda vans are generally much better people, with extremely high levels of charisma, inner strength, and intelligence. They're also very modest too. hehe!

Glad I could be of help champ.

I love my little Expanda. All I need now is more time to sneak away in it.

Nice chatt`n with you.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Each to there own :p but I reckon Moto Moto might agree with you too :biggrin:

Hey CR have you thought about getting the boys a swag each instead of a tent, quick and easy to set up too?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Absolutely true Stan.

Scientific surveys have found that people with the 14 foot Expanda vans are generally much better people, with extremely high levels of charisma, inner strength, and intelligence. They're also very modest too. hehe!

Glad I could be of help champ.

I love my little Expanda. All I need now is more time to sneak away in it.

Nice chatt`n with you.

My wife reckons people with 17's are trying to compensate for something. I don't know what she's on about... :confused:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
My wife reckons people with 17's are trying to compensate for something. I don't know what she's on about... :confused:

And those of us with 18's just sit outside smugly with the cheapest (and only) wine we can afford. We don't want a full annexe because then no one would see us.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hiya Cruza.

I personally love the idea of swags, but the boys like the idea of the annexe as they`ve got a bit more room to sit around and put their bags and other stuff. As I said earlier, I`m sure they`ll tell me that they would prefer to stay in the tent after I`ve spent the $2ooo on getting the annexe made up.

I was actually thinking about buying the tent insert for the 3m x 3m oztrail gazebo. They're only a few hundred bucks to buy the tent insert, but that wasn't expensive enough for the missus. She reckons the annexe is the go. It`s funny how they always like the dearest things?

Whats the go with girls? Why do they always like the most expensive option? hehe!