Cant make up my mind, thoughts?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Hi all I hope to start a build up of a new Dmax next week, the first mod will be to have the tub removed sent to the scrap metal merchants and an alloy tray and canopy put on similar to the pic below.

Now for the life of me I cant make up my mind weather or not to put windows in the front and back of the canopy. I'm thinking if the missus was to drive it to the shop she would appreciate being able to see out the back but for me I'm easy either way really, what would you do and why.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Even though you won’t see a lot especially if you have a bit of gear in the back it is always nice to see “something”. If you do get windows consider a fold up front one so you can clean it and the rear one in the car. I take it you will have a reverse camera.

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Yep the 2017 Dmax has a reverse camera, from what I am led to believe they have a plug about a meter back from the camera so ill remove it from the tub before I get rid of it and reinstall it on the new tray.

I like the fold up window idea, I don't know if it can be done but I will enquire.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDS69

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Fold up windows on the front of the canopy are available and a good idea. I had one on the canopy I removed and sold, the one drawback being you have to crawl into the tub/canopy to use it and clean the window. I now have to look through 3 tinted windows to see out the back so I just use my reverse camera now which can be manually turned on.

Reactions: bigcol and Axl

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
My canopy has a window on the back (roll up canvas) but no window on the front so can't see out of it from cab anyway. Had it for three years and it's no issue. Between reverse camera ( must in this situation) and mirrors I can see enough. When we had a boat it was smaller then the van and felt a little blind backing it sometimes but the van is easy to see.

Reactions: Axl

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have an alloy shed on back of my dual cab, no windows as you wouldn't see bugger all out of them when reversing, too high. Fit a 90 deg camera on the back, it will work like a rear view mirror as a 120 reversing cam is useless...
An alloy tray with no headboard is ideal but make sure its a solid built unit, my shed is from Matesratestools in Brissie, I can highly recommend the build quality of welds, doors and hinges....its taken some big hits and survived.

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-new-horse-rg-colorado.7294/page-2

Reactions: bigcol and Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I have an alloy shed on back of my dual cab, no windows as you wouldn't see bugger all out of them when reversing, too high. Fit a 90 deg camera on the back, it will work like a rear view mirror as a 120 reversing cam is useless...
An alloy tray with no headboard is ideal but make sure its a solid built unit, my shed is from Matesratestools in Brissie, I can highly recommend the build quality of welds, doors and hinges....its taken some big hits and survived.

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-new-horse-rg-colorado.7294/page-2

Yeah @Drover they are the guys I am currently getting quotes from, I'm starting to think ill put the windows in because if I want them down the track it would no doubt be harder to do.

Reactions: Drover

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@Axl just another place to check out.

https://www.buffaloequip.com.au/

I drove from the Central Coast to get my tray from these guys up on the Sunshine Coast. Seeing you are already up there I would check them out. My tray is one of my favourite things in my ute and happy I made the effort to drive interstate as I wasn't happy with anything I say down this way.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
personally, I would not bother for the windows, (now or at a later date)

I had a panel Van many many eons ago, didnt matter where the windows were, they were still too small or in the wrong place to be of any use

if your going to put a shed on the back, I would not bother, as @Drover said, a nice little 90* camera on the rearview mirror (not the factory one through the stereo) for that "force of habit" looking in the mirror to reverse with the camera mounted near the top of your shed looking down

your reasonably dust proof and more secure shed will be enough thanks.......... :)

Reactions: Drover and KECL

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Try to find a vehicle with a window set up, you will find if you can look over your shoulder and out the back window you will only view things that are higher than a car roof, I thought about it, checked one out and found for reversing or trying to see behind not much chop, cam under tray with monitor instead of mirror and it's just like a normal mirror plus I can see the bollard or post in the parking lot........You can't go wrong for price or quality from Matesrates, a couple of years down the track and even after a few good hits the doors and hinges have hung on and I mean really good hits, someone left a door open and drove out of shed.