17' Series Black access hatches, make? Availabilty ?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It depends what they are made of. My 16 Expanda had metal faced material, my current 18 has fibreglass faced material. It is really easy to cut. Measure twice cut once. I always use heaps of duct tape just in case the jigsaw (fine blade) wants to go for a run and I always drill holes in the corners and make sure there are no wires/pipes in the vicinity I am cutting/drilling.
When I have a nice clean cut opening, I then seal the polystyrene. I actually have this blue gel stuff that Jayco use, not sure of what it is but I have also used silicone. Touch wood I have never come across any internal metal studs. I also have this mega strong magnet that I run over the wall, if it goes to stick on the fibreglass, I know there is metal close by. Its all good fun.

An Outback or a StarCraft would be harder.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
. I also have this mega strong magnet that I run over the wall, if it goes to stick on the fibreglass, I know there is metal close by. .

Great idea but aren't they alloy beams? I removed the speaker and used a thin rod and poked through the foam.

Heads up Jayco don't seal the polystyrene when they cut the speakers in!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I know, but my magnet stick on something, so I stay away from those areas. I double checked, it is definitely attracted to something in the wall. I should say it does not stick solid but it is noticeable. Anyway, works for me.

Last edited:

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
I liked the older key style. The oval one was for the bed ends, the round one was for the toilet, the camec one was for the door, the little silver one was for the hatches and of course the plastic white one was for the water. You could work these out even in the dark. These new keys all look the same except for the numbers on them. Bloody handy in the dark!!! Oh well, it's progress I'm told. LOL.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I liked the older key style. The oval one was for the bed ends, the round one was for the toilet, the camec one was for the door, the little silver one was for the hatches and of course the plastic white one was for the water. You could work these out even in the dark. These new keys all look the same except for the numbers on them. Bloody handy in the dark!!! Oh well, it's progress I'm told. LOL.
Try remembering which key is which when camping after a few beers ! :boink::oops:

Reactions: dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I managed to order the hatch with the same key 3 of my other 4 hatches are, so that's a win. The lose is I can't buy the locks to replace the one orphan 600mm hatch I have! So if the locksmith can do it i will either go that way or buy a complete new hatch in larger 900mm size with the correct keys