Just Browsing Bbq size for family?

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
after some options, we have a family of 5 and found our Weber Q1000 a bit small for our liking, plus not big enough good for a roast.

So we bought a Q2000 on a Rays sale (40% off!) but now I'm struggling to fit it into the toolbox being built for the front drawbar.

So what do people use for larger families? Q1000 and just deal with it? Q2000 and not bother making it work in the toolbox?

Or are there other models that work well? Mainly for Bbq meat, bacon & eggs and occasional roasts.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Thanks. you don't find it too small? we've struggled using it the past 2-3 trips, not enough surface area, takes forever to cook enough bacon/meat/sausages/etc for the family, that the initial bits are cold and overdone by the time the rest is done.

given you can only use a solid plate over half the cooker, we find it really small.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Thanks. you don't find it too small? we've struggled using it the past 2-3 trips, not enough surface area, takes forever to cook enough bacon/meat/sausages/etc for the family, that the initial bits are cold and overdone by the time the rest is done.

given you can only use a solid plate over half the cooker, we find it really small.
This might sound dumb but you know you always cook with the lid down ?

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
We use a food warmer and cook in stages
pa0818452.jpg

Reactions: Brougham

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Hey brougham this is how i carry larger webber if long distance put cushions on each side
thanks, but we are getting a toolbox built for the drawbar to hold the bbq on a slide out. having 3 kids, we dont want anything in the van we have to remove each stop if we dont have to. thus the bbq & generator going on the drawbar.

baby Q fits fine, the Q2000 is just too long (800mm). so looking at other options.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We have a Q200 which I moved to the deck now.
Brought a Sizzler BBQ which is smaller then the Q200 (maybe Q1000 as well :) ) although we squish on just as a family of 6
I like cooking with the lid up for snags so it works better then a Weber although you can still roast in it.

Only saw it on ebay although this looks interesting? Someone on another forum just brought the stand from them for his weber and changed to fit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Freedom-...636213?hash=item2ef3320135:g:1lcAAOSwo0JWLfvX

Reactions: Brougham

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
We have a Q200 which I moved to the deck now.
Brought a Sizzler BBQ which is smaller then the Q200 (maybe Q1000 as well :) ) although we squish on just as a family of 6
I like cooking with the lid up for snags so it works better then a Weber although you can still roast in it.

Only saw it on ebay although this looks interesting? Someone on another forum just brought the stand from them for his weber and changed to fit.

not bad. if i had the extended drawbar might be an option.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
We have the high lid Webber baby q. It's used as our main cooking. We initially were pessimistic on its size but after two years with it as a family of four find its great . I couldn't count the number of roasts we've had from it ,atleast one each trip.. Not small roasts either , always having left overs of home grown lamb:hungry:and a lot of the time cooking for two more mates that regularly come with us. Must say though If the lovely cook is struggling for room we do through some veggies in the fire or steam them but usually only when she is cooking for two families. We also have changed to one plate one grill. The missus has never given me cold bacon n eggs in the morning.
The box we had made could fit the next size up but unless something happens to our one I wouldn't bother changing.

Reactions: Brougham and dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Twin burner zigler and brown from BBQ galore its fantastic i put it where my spare tyre was as i put it on my rear bar the twin burners are very good you can cook with lid up or down one flat plate one grill or 2 grills 5 stars .......... of corse with lid down its better for roasting and quicker cooking mmmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: bigcol and Brougham

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Thanks for that option. I'll have to do some measuring to get an idea what fits and doesn't fit.

High lid baby Q would be better for roasts,but still don't like the small surface area for cooking.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Twin burner zigler and brown from BBQ galore its fantastic i put it where my spare tyre was as i put it on my rear bar the twin burners are very good you can cook with lid up or down one flat plate one grill or 2 grills 5 stars .......... of corse with lid down its better for roasting and quicker cooking mmmmmmmmmmmm
The Sizzler has twin burners as well I prefer BBQ where I can set each side on a different heat. I also like to watch the BBQ which not really what a Weber is about,

Reactions: Bluey